• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Favourite Comedy Shows

S

Steve-o

We all watch them. We huddle around the TV at prime time with our families. For some it's the most fun they actually have with their family! Or you stay up late with a relative to watch the more edgy, and often more funny, ones.

I am of course talking about...*drumroll*... comedy shows!

There are so many out there, but only a few are great.

Tell us the ones you enjoyed, are enjoying, and ones you bought on DVD

1) The Thin Blue Line
2) 'Allo 'Allo

3) Mind Your Language
4) Monty Python

I knew this topic would remind me of shows back in the day. I haven't even thought of, let alone watched, 'Allo 'Allo in atleast 10 years. Don't really remember much of it, just that wacko coming through the front door every episode lol.

My favourites are:

1) Who's Line Is It Anyway - Genius concept done by genius comedians

2) My Family - Nick is classic

3) Friends - Nuff said

4) South Park

It has to be
1 Fawlty Towers
2 Only fools and Horses(early episodes only)
3 Porridge
All classics but no1 is and always will be "simply the best"

It has to be
1 Fawlty Towers
3 Porridge
[/b]
Are those all British programmes or really old?

Blackadder, Red Dwarf, Fawlty Towers, Friends, Frasier, Green Wing, The Book Group, Spaced, Cheers, Mash, The Young Ones, Father Ted, The Office, Extras, many more I'll have neglected to mention - I do love a good sitcom.

And then on a slightly different note you have you panel shows such as Never Mind the Buzzcocks, QI and Have I Got News For You. Then if you throw in sketch shows and impressionists, I do watch quite a lot of comedy.

Bit of a lull in modern comedy at the moment though I think, with dreadful shows like Catherine Tate and Hyperdrive doing nothing to boost your confidence.

Family Guy is funny,

who's line is it anyway is good aswell

scrubs can be pretty funny too

i never got into those british comedy shows, their a strange sort of humour. i'm not saying their not funny, it's got to be if billions of ppl get their kicks out of it, i'm just saying it's a different sort of funny from mine.
my fave shows are/were (and in no particular order):
1. Friends
2. Jamie Foxx Show
3. The Simpsons
4. Fresh Prince of Bel Air

Blackadder, Red Dwarf, Fawlty Towers, Friends, Frasier, Green Wing, The Book Group, Spaced, Cheers, Mash, The Young Ones, Father Ted, The Office, Extras, many more I'll have neglected to mention - I do love a good sitcom.

And then on a slightly different note you have you panel shows such as Never Mind the Buzzcocks, QI and Have I Got News For You. Then if you throw in sketch shows and impressionists, I do watch quite a lot of comedy.

Bit of a lull in modern comedy at the moment though I think, with dreadful shows like Catherine Tate and Hyperdrive doing nothing to boost your confidence. [/b]

Oh my god...did i just hack into SFW's account and write that up and then forget all about it?
Seriously, i would have added Scrubs into the "favourites" section, and there are a few classics, but i agree with EVERYTHING written there.

Peep Show!
Hancock's Half Hour
Coupling Curb Your Enthusiasm
Phoenix Nights
Mighty Boosh

Including all the ones SFW named i'm surprised as to how many British programmes i truly love and how few american ones make my list.

It just goes to show that we used to have a country of geniuses writing comedies for us.
Then years went by when nobody was prepared to invest heavily in the future of british comedy simply becuase we had so many on the scene and now look. Ricky Gervais and Steve Merchant are doing all the hard work!

One British show I love watching is Top Gear Extra. Great show.

I'm 50/50 on British vs USA comedy, like I'm 50/50 on British vs USA rock bands (That's a whole other thread by itself). Although I get exposed to American comedy more, British humour is right up there.

One British show I love watching is Top Gear Extra. Great show. [/b]
yeah i like that show too, i'm not even a car guy but i just enjoy watching it and learning new things.

it was funny wen i saw my mates economical Kia on there and they were saying it's a girls car and any man caught driving one should be shot :lol: :lol: :lol:

I find it quite a funny coincidence that they rate French cars badly lol

Those guys are all high rollers, your everyday cars get gutted on that show

The only funny things ever to come out of America are The Simpsons, Whose line is it anyway and various black comedians (chris rock, eddie murphy etc).

But England!!! Theyve got the legendary Monty Python, Father Ted, Allo Allo. Also watch this clip of a hilarious comedian called Eddie Izzard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IzDbNFDdP4

<div class='quotemain'>
It has to be
1 Fawlty Towers
3 Porridge
[/b]
Are those all British programmes or really old?
[/b][/quote]

They are all British programs and they are all old. The 70s and 80s were when a lot of the best British comedy programs were made, add to that list ;Rising Damp,Steptoe and son and The rise and fall of Reginald Perrin, all classics.
Not to say that we dont have great comedy shows that are more recent such as ;Peep show,Alan Partridge and Phoenix nights. These are all comedys that appeal to my sence of humour but may not appeal to everyone. I remember years ago when Black Adder first came out on video i sat and watched it with my american cousin. I was ******* myself with laughter and he just sat there with a bemused look on his face. I just dont find Friends funny in the least yet its one of the biggest comedy shows of all time, its just shows it a matter of opinion.

been watching a bit of seinfeld lately. great stuff.
[/b]

At 11:30pm Monday nights on tv3? Me too, it's the only American comedy I can laugh genuinely at.

Fawlty Towers, Monty Python, Allo Allo, The Young Ones, The Two Ronnies and Black Adder are my all time favourites on UKTV and have the box sets of most of them. Man About The House can be quite funny also. I just love British comedy, it's one of the greatest things to ever exist.

Peep Show is great comedy, but it does have a certain market to cater for. if u get the comedy in Peep Show, ur onto a winner right there. theres so many to mention, South Park cant be beaten for ripping the absolute pi** out of current issues, so much so, i dont no how they get away with it. 'Mock of the Week' is kinda like 'Who's line is it anyway', if you've never seen that before, it should be worth a gamble.

Nothing can beat South Park!

Family Guy, Extras, Coupling, Never mind the buzzcocks are all quality as well.

I've watched every single Friends episode ever made, up untill a while ago I didn't think I'd ever find a show like it again.

Then I watched "How I met your mother", it is by far the best thing I've seen in ages.

Top Gear is probably my all time favorite show (after SG1), it just happens to be funny as well.

MPH this year was awesome, watching the stig battling the gatsby dragon has been the highlight of the year so far.

Latest posts