Favourite Stamps

Feicarsinn

Super Αdmin
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
Good morning The Rugby Forum! Every now and again we all come across a good stamp. Whether it be posting a letter to a loved one, reviewing your stamp collection or collecting stamps for said collection, I think we all get to enjoy the benefits of a nice stampy stamp every once in a while. In the interests of generating some non-hate filled conversation around here, I've decided to post a few from my own personal postal boudoir to unruffle some very ruffled feathers.

This is a Peruvian stamp of St. Francis of Assisi. Francis was a really cool guy. He used to beg outside of St. Peter's Basilica until the Pope sent him to Egypt to sort out the crusades. He wasn't able to do this, but he was pretty chill during a time when the middle east was all messed up with conflict. A guide to us all.

I don't know why he's on a Peruvian stamp. Francis never went to Peru as South America hadn't been discovered by Europeans yet.

St-Francis-of-Assisi-by-El-Greco.jpg

My next favourite stamp is of the famous Russian Cosmonaut dog, Laika. Laika was a great inspiration to us all, overcoming differences of hemisphere and political belief to win a place in all of our hearts. Laika was my inspiration to go into physics, and to get another dog. He's called Bob and he's a Wicklow collie.

stock-photo-ussr-circa-a-stamp-printed-in-the-ussr-commemorates-the-launching-of-the-space-dog-89182159.jpg

The next stamp is Eric Cantona, a Frenchman beloved by English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh and indeed the French themselves. A shining example of how all of our countries can get along and believe in a higher power. Technically this is a football sticker because they haven't made an Eric Cantona stamp yet.

manchester-united-eric-cantona-308-merlin-s-english-premier-league-1995-football-sticker-57532-p.jpg

Please post your own stamps! It's fun when we all contribute.

St Francis of Assisi is a hero. Have one of his crosses in my room and chose Francis as my confirmation name, yes I am that Irish Catholic... Dope dude.

We have a full rare stamp collection downstairs. I remember a distinct favourite of mine was a triangular stamp from Panama. I'll try get a piccy tommorrow. Also have an ancient Irish collectors coin and accompanying commemorative stamp above my bed. Always wake up with wood as a result.

I don't have the long and rich philatelic experience that you two fine gentlemen obviously have, but I googled "interesting stamps" and this picture of a penguin staring at a bagpiper in British Antarctic Territory is pretty cool.

ImageUploadedByRugby Forum1432276479.233753.jpg

Dont know much about stamps but the pro's certainly make sense but will they fall on stoney ground and deaf ears!!!!!!!!!!

I don't have the long and rich philatelic experience that you two fine gentlemen obviously have, but I googled "interesting stamps" and this picture of a penguin staring at a bagpiper in British Antarctic Territory is pretty cool.

View attachment 3784

How much post do those guys send on a daily basis?

Friday, bloody Friday. The post doesn't run on the weekend, making it an excellent time to catch up on a whole week's worth of stamps. Here's a neat little truck stamp I used today to send postcard to a friend of mine who's living in China for a year. Imagine being so unfulfilled that you have to move to China! What a disappointing life he must lead.

1538.jpg

Latest posts