• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Feeding into a scrum

Deadmonton

Academy Player
Whenever I watch the ball get fed into a scrum, it looks like they are feeding the ball to the second row. I haven't been watching the game for long, but I thought that one was supposed to feed the ball between the hookers so both have a chance at hooking it. Is that true, and if it is, why do the refs not enforce it?

Trick is to feed straight but so much spin on it your hooker doesn't even need to strike

Hi asa ref it is one of the things we should all be looking at when thereis a scrum things I am looking at first is all the buggering about the FR's are doing ie. no bind, not driving straight, pulling down and standing up then you have those cheating b****** flankers who will always be slipping the binds or moving up from the 2nd row's then you have the No 8's who want to slingshot and have no proper bind, but yes you are right the ball should go in fairly.
Also remember the scrum half only has to feed part of the ball onto the imaginary line that is the centre of the scrum that is where the Fr's shoulders meet on engauge so the very end tip of the ball on this line would be a legal entry of the ball to the scrum.

Trick is to feed straight but so much spin on it your hooker doesn't even need to strike

thanks, never knew the scrumhalves put spin on the ball when feeding. Ive seen the scrumhalves stomping on eachothers foot, but never looked at the ball when being fed..i play in the backs and never hear about the tricks of the trade in the forwards..another question about the scrum, How far back does the defense need to be when there is a scrum?

thanks, never knew the scrumhalves put spin on the ball when feeding. Ive seen the scrumhalves stomping on eachothers foot, but never looked at the ball when being fed..i play in the backs and never hear about the tricks of the trade in the forwards..another question about the scrum, How far back does the defense need to be when there is a scrum?

Defence has to be at last feet

Whenever I watch the ball get fed into a scrum, it looks like they are feeding the ball to the second row. I haven't been watching the game for long, but I thought that one was supposed to feed the ball between the hookers so both have a chance at hooking it. Is that true, and if it is, why do the refs not enforce it?

That's one of the things that irks me - the scrum is meant to be a fair contest, not just a restart for the team feeding the ball, so this aspect of the game should be looked at more closely in my opinion. The scrum halves don't tend to feed the ball when they should either unless their forwards get the hit on, and get the forward momentum.

... by the looks of your user name, it sounds like you are from Edmonton - which team do you play for/support ... I haven't seen many local games, but did get out to watch the Clansmen play a couple of games.

Yeah, I'm from Edmonton. Don't really support anybody right now as I just got into the sport about a month ago but come next spring I'll be playing for my high school and a club, not certain which club, it will depend on where I'm living after graduating. I definitely agree with you on a scrum being a contest.

I agree, the refs just don't seem to look at it somehow. Really annoys me, most of them don't even try to put it in straight even there arms point to the back of the scrum after putting it in.

I played in the front row and for a fair chunk at rake and it annoys me when its not put in straight. it removes the original purpose for the position so you might as well have three props.

The highest level i got to was club rugby in dunedin. I was luck enough ot have two big props and only being average sized i was actually able to swing on their shoulders, this enabled be to strike with both feet and tightheads were always something we tried for.

no pont even trying that now days, i dont think it is ust spin, you can see the halfback actauly turn just be fore he puts it in striaght between the loosehead and the rake.

No!!!! Players outside of the scrum (the defencive line) have to be 5 metres back untill the scrum is over. (law 20.12)

thought so!..i watched a re-scrum on the weekend(Schute Shield- AUS) and noticed the home crowd egging their backline defence to move up to the last feet..i was like wtf?

Agree with all of the above, watching the scrums at the world cup. The hookers don't even seem to be going for the ball in the majority of games the feeding is so bad.

Latest posts