• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Feeling sorry for Wayne Barnes

higgik

First XV
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Saracens
He will have to wait another 4 years to ref a world Cup final ;)

I think he'll ref the bronze medal match next week.

Yep Barnes gets the booby prize.
Final for Garces or Owen's dependent on second 40 mins.

Wonder if he'd rather ref the final without England in it or watch it on tv with England. Especially if he retires. Prob rather England win it but deep down as a last chance to ref a final before he retires.

Wonder if he'd rather ref the final without England in it or watch it on tv with England. Especially if he retires. Prob rather England win it but deep down as a last chance to ref a final before he retires.
He is retiring I'm pretty sure.

At least he'll have the third place game which is a nice low pressure way to send off (although no doubt he'd rather have the final).

At the end of the day the refs know what they're getting involved with when they sign up, it's a bizarre quirk of the job that you can be easily the best at it but not get the top gig because of a factor entirely out of your control. Must be frustrating but at least he'll get to watch his country in a world cup final which is a lot more than some of us can say.

bronze will probably go to pearce. let a young guy take center stage. Barnes has been really unlucky, hasn't gotten many european cup finals cause of Saracens dominance.

I'm sure he'll have a great time being able to cut loose and watch the finals.

What about Peyper? He was only stood down for the semi's, he could also still be in charge of the 3rd/4th place playoff match.

But yeah, I feel sorry for Barnes, he was the best in the tournament of all the referees.

What about Peyper? He was only stood down for the semi's, he could also still be in charge of the 3rd/4th place playoff match.

But yeah, I feel sorry for Barnes, he was the best in the tournament of all the referees.
He's too good for it I think. They'll want to expose a young guy to a real tough match. Give peyper and Barnes the weekend off and let them watch the final with the refs and rib each other. As much as they probably support their teams, they both have to be a little disappointed. Both have worked extremely hard for this and it just wasn't meant to be.

also important to note that the top tier refs for each country do train with the national teams. I've seen peyper train with the springboks and I'd imagine Barnes does with England. They are just as important as tackle bag holders or other support staff. They've each played a role in getting those teams where they are now.

He's too good for it I think. They'll want to expose a young guy to a real tough match. Give peyper and Barnes the weekend off and let them watch the final with the refs and rib each other. As much as they probably support their teams, they both have to be a little disappointed. Both have worked extremely hard for this and it just wasn't meant to be.

also important to note that the top tier refs for each country do train with the national teams. I've seen peyper train with the springboks and I'd imagine Barnes does with England. They are just as important as tackle bag holders or other support staff. They've each played a role in getting those teams where they are now.
Given that John f***ing Lacey is probably our top ref explains a lot of our issues...

What about Gus Gardner?

Copped a bit of criticism during pool play, especially by Joe, but he's still young and he's a very good ref.

On a side note - I read somewhere that Jaco is only 39? All due respect but I thought he was a fair bit older than that.

What about Gus Gardner?

Copped a bit of criticism during pool play, especially by Joe, but he's still young and he's a very good ref.

On a side note - I read somewhere that Jaco is only 39? All due respect but I thought he was a fair bit older than that.
I think there's a decent ref in there, but he's just not there yet.

Latest posts