• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Feicarsinn's Lions Winners and Losers

F

feicarsinn

So with another Lions tour coming to an end I decided to take a look at which Lions players can come home with their heads held high as well as their reputations enhanced and those who will leave without much desire to remember their tour
6. Ronan O'Gara</span>[/b]
ronan-o-gara-pic-getty-678693728.jpg

(http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m4/jun2009/9/4/ronan-o-gara-pic-getty-678693728.jpg)
Well theres not much that needs to be said here really. O'Gara had been performing adequately in the warm up games with some impressive goal kicking. That all went out the window in the last 10 minutes of the second test, when O'Gara, playing out of position due to injury, missed a tackle in the corner to allow South Africa back in front and then took Fourie Du Preez in the dying seconds with the scores tied, gifting the Springboks a kickable chance. Morne Steyn obliged and that was all she wrote for the 2009 British and Irish Lions.

Disagree with O'Connell.

He put himself around the paddock and carried lots of ball every game he played. Led from the front as far as I'm concerned.

Agree completely about Scotland though :D

Mathew Rees is a good shout as well.

O'Connell doesn't deserve to be in the loser category, even though the man himself would put himself their.

Everything else I agree with.

Disagree with the O'Connel thing aswell. Wasn't great in the tour matches but thought he was great for most of the 240 minutes of test rugby. Which is what you remember.

The picture of Tomas is depressing. I was there taht day and it was heart wrenching.

Thought Ferris was a loser in a way seeing as he played so well in two matches but injury ended it so early for him when he was looking good for a team spot. Good on Croft taking his chances though!

You forgot John Hayes and his magical tactic of waiting and watching every other prop get injured...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jul 5 2009, 05:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You forgot John Hayes and his magical tactic of waiting and watching every other prop get injured...[/b]
:lol:

And then showing he should have been in the team all along to take on the SA lineout with POC.

Dont think Williams is much of a loser to be fair.

Would also put Gethin Jenkins in as a winner because the media still rated Sheridan better than him.

Should also put Ryan Jones in the losers with his magic 24 hours with the Lions!

See you can't really say Gethin comes away with an enhanced reputation because we all knew he was damn good before the series anyway. The trouble with Williams was that he was supposed to be the Lions' most potent threat but just wasn't. O'Connell I thought wasn't as good as a captain should be. Now saying that he wasn't in a Borthwick situation of just being there because of the armband but for me he was never one of the Lions' top 3 which is where the captain should usually be. Maybe I'm being a little hard on him but thats what I expect especially from the Lions Captain.

Well done

Good photo stream

Congrats Lions I knew so they would win the last match definitely

actually, the injured....like Scottish rugby should be on the list in general.

Flannery,
Halfpenny,
Murray....all unlucky,

Could have done with Flannery and Murray being fit aswell.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Jul 5 2009, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jul 4 2009, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mathew Rees is a good shout as well.[/b]
Nahhhh taking the slot as a resut of no competition is hardy a win. Fannery was the loser.
[/b][/quote]

Disagree with O'Connell. As for Ford, a bit harsh, I feel. Remember he wasn't one of the original squad,and yet ended up being the only Scot capped. When he did get on, performed creditably, I felt his ball carrying was solid, always making yards, and his throwing was pretty much on the mark. He's got more Lions caps than me. While Scottish rugby might appear to be in the doldrums, I don't feel we're far away from some good results. Ford will be there for a while and will almost certainly gain in reputation.

Latest posts