• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ferris injured aswell

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (samtheman @ Jun 11 2009, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
jason white?

taylor?[/b]

facepalm.jpg

Ryan Jones has been called up

yes i know

bit of an ify call up

but we will see how it goes for him

il give him a chance

Injuries aside, Jones won't be starting in the tests, so no need to worry.

Yet.

Is Powell actually gone now or is that just a rumour?
If he is, will they call anyone else up? Or be content with having jones covering the backline as a replacement?

Just saw that myself, good to see they're both alright

Can't believe i wrote backline instead of backrow =/ I play on the backrow myself, my brains not working today

I back Ryan Jones over any Scottish counterpart but I think in some areas there are some Scottish players that deserve call-ups that probably won't get the chance because the Lions will go without from now on. I think Thom Evans should been called up for Halfpenny but in hindsight I think it was maybe more of a money thing than anyone else...MONEYGEDDON!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Jun 11 2009, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Lol, Longherra, stove and Tarbah are funny.[/b]
Indeed. Ferris is a decent player, but those tries he scored are not part his natural game. He only tapped down the once in the past year for Ulster.

It reminds me was only two weeks ago that the bog-dwelling hoors of Munster were drunk on the euphoria (and doubtless copious amounts of poteen) of seeing eight of their backwoodsmen in the Lions squad. This, they kept screeching, was the same number as the whole of England.

Nemesis was always going to be delivered in retribution for such bumptiousness; it is only a surprise that the Gods swung into action so quickly. First, the ponderous O'Leary was taken out by his own man; then the sublime Anglo-Irishmen of D4 gave the clodhoppers a thorough beasting at Croke Park; and then, joy of joys, the nasty Quinlan (a man of exceedingly poor stock) received a well-deserved 12-week ban for his evil eye swipe at poor Leo Cullen.

So then there were only six. Still, we must be grateful for these small mercies. The opportunity to watch the Lions this summer without being constantly reminded by the unctuous Sky commentators that Alan Quinlan is a real card ("he's just great for team spirit!") is a respite for which we must be profoundly thankful.

Agreed on Alan Quinlan. He's not international standard, and is no big loss whatsoever.

O'Leary was a blow though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Count of Devonshire @ Jun 12 2009, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Jun 11 2009, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lol, Longherra, stove and Tarbah are funny.[/b]
Indeed. Ferris is a decent player, but those tries he scored are not part his natural game. He only tapped down the once in the past year for Ulster.

It reminds me was only two weeks ago that the bog-dwelling hoors of Munster were drunk on the euphoria (and doubtless copious amounts of poteen) of seeing eight of their backwoodsmen in the Lions squad. This, they kept screeching, was the same number as the whole of England.

Nemesis was always going to be delivered in retribution for such bumptiousness; it is only a surprise that the Gods swung into action so quickly. First, the ponderous O'Leary was taken out by his own man; then the sublime Anglo-Irishmen of D4 gave the clodhoppers a thorough beasting at Croke Park; and then, joy of joys, the nasty Quinlan (a man of exceedingly poor stock) received a well-deserved 12-week ban for his evil eye swipe at poor Leo Cullen.

So then there were only six. Still, we must be grateful for these small mercies. The opportunity to watch the Lions this summer without being constantly reminded by the unctuous Sky commentators that Alan Quinlan is a real card ("he's just great for team spirit!") is a respite for which we must be profoundly thankful.
[/b][/quote]

606 is that way pal.

---------->

Watch the Cheetahs game again, especially the breakdown and tell me Quinlan isn't a loss?

O'Leary was definitely a blow, it would have been close between himself and Phillips for a test shirt, think Phillips would have got it though.

Take off the Munster-tinted specs for half a second.

Quinlan isn't good outside of the enigma that is Munster, or when Nigel Owens allows him to get away with murder at the scrum and breakdown. I'm sure he would have fared well alongside Worsley and Powell. Heck, the three of them could have made up the worst backrow in the history of the Lions...

The only backrow 'losses' have been Martyn to injury, who does exactly what Quinlan does, except better, and Ferris, who' become victim to injury. Along with Wallace, Heaslip and Croft, that's five players who are far superior to Quinlan, and who all offer exactly what our backrow would have needed. I'd also add Ryan Jones' form as massive loss aswell.

Yeah, because Quinlan only plays well when Owens is reffing.

Fact is, whether he plays 6 or 7, he is going to steal and slow down plenty of opposition ball. He wasn't picked originally because of a clerical error for f*** sake.

He would not have got near a test 22, but would have made a huge difference in matches such as the Cheetahs match. I'd pick him at blindside or openside ahead of Worsley 9/10 times.

Sure, I would aswell. Worsley is awful, though.

My point is, Williams, Wallace, Croft and Ferris are all capable players. That's 4 players who could cover 7 and 6 for weekend and midweek games. The only use Quinlan should have been is as a late call up, as the four aforementioned players are all better choices for the tour than him.

The fact he thrives in the Munster environment means nothing. I remember a number of Irish people criticizing his performances for Ireland in the Autumn... Not international standard, and that's where I'm leaving it.