• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Few Questions

RWC2011Fan

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Ireland
I've never actually played rugby and I'm still new to the sport, so forgive me if these are dumb:
- Can you attempt a drop goal from the restart?
- I recall seeing a clip of a player being lifted in order to catch a conversion attempt? Ha anyone seen a clip or might know what I'm talking about?
- When and why did they stop using tees for restarts (or was it only kick-offs)?

I've never actually played rugby and I'm still new to the sport,so forgive me if these are dumb:
- I recall seeing a clip of a player being lifted in order to catch a conversion attempt? Ha anyone seen a clip or might know what I'm talking about?
- When and why did they stop using tees for restarts (or was it only kick-offs)?

Don't worry, no question is ever too dumb (only suggestions for rule changes fall under that category...)

a) No, you cannot attempt a Drop goal off a kick-off (as far as I'm aware). If so Francois Steyn would probably be the highest paid player in the Top 14
b) Never seen the clip you're talking about... Not sure why they would lift to catch it?
c) Not the faintest idea

Don't worry, no question is ever too dumb (only suggestions for rule changes fall under that category...)

a) No, you cannot attempt a Drop goal off a kick-off (as far as I'm aware). If so Francois Steyn would probably be the highest paid player in the Top 14
b) Never seen the clip you're talking about... Not sure why they would lift to catch it?
c) Not the faintest idea

Seen it a number of times with long range penalties. The defending side will throw up a backrow forward between the post to try and stop the ball going over. Never seen it work

I've never actually played rugby and I'm still new to the sport, so forgive me if these are dumb:
The first one is no (Cf Frans Steyn, as mentioned before)
The second one, I recall seeing something like that in a video as well, but it is now illegal (if it was ever legal). Law 9.b.3, part (a), on "the opposing team" during conversion kicks says:
(a)

All players of the opposing team must retire to their goal line and must not overstep that line until the kicker begins the approach to kick or starts to kick. When the kicker does this, they may charge or jump to prevent a goal but must not be physically supported by other players in these actions.

They stopped around 2000, but couldn't put a finger on the year. I don't know why, probably just to make it quicker (not against it personally)

It's definitely illegal with a penalty: law 9.A.2 (d):
Any player who touches the ball in an attempt to prevent a penalty goal being scored is illegally touching the ball.

It's definitely illegal with a penalty: law 9.A.2 (d):
Any player who touches the ball in an attempt to prevent a penalty goal being scored is illegally touching the ball.

Not illegal with a conversion or a drop-kick (except from a penalty) as far as I know.

As for kick-offs and restarts, IIRC

Prior to 1996:
Kick-offs were taken with a place kick
Restarts after a converted try, a penalty goal or dropped goal were taken with a place kick
Restarts after an unconverted try were taken with drop kick

From 1996 to 1999:
Restarts after any score were taken with drop kick

From 2000 onwards:
All kick-offs and restarts are taken with a drop kick

Updated information on kick-offs and restarts

Prior to 1934
All kick-off's and restarts were place kicks

(After an incident in an international at Twickenham where the referee did not award a conversion, but the scoreboard operator did, Ireland proposed that a drop kick be used after a failed failed conversion as a second indicator. The IRFB agreed to the law change

until 1992
Restarts after a converted try, a penalty goal or dropped goal were taken with a place kick
Restarts after an unconverted try were taken with drop kick

From 1993 to 2001:
Restarts after any score were taken with drop kick

From 2002 onwards:
All kick-offs and restarts are taken with a drop kick

Thanks to OB.. our resident historian at rugbyrefs.com for the right information

Latest posts