• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Field Hockey is a girls sport right? And what is netball?

Canucks

Academy Player
Country Flag
Canada
Hello,

I have moved to the UK from Canada and have struggled to understand some things about UK.

First off, Field Hockey is a girl sport right? i had a rugby game a few weeks ago and saw a group of men playing in an organised league. Either that or it was some very burly women. In Canada, field Hockey is strictly a girls sport, men cannot look at themselves in the mirror if they play it. Any attempt to try field hockey results in so much hassling that you may as well castrate yourself. Especially when we have about 10 variations of actual hockey that you play plus both box and field lacrosse.

Youtube semi answered my question. Apparently, there is a field hockey world cup that men actually play and it's in the olympics. It looked very unexciting seeing as nobody checked anyone, the goalies sucked and they all looked pretty girly bent over playing with a small, weird stick. The shots looked unimpressive and there was absolutely nothing exciting about it.
As well, according to wiki your not allowed to stick check and blocking shots is frowned upon. Physical contact is not allowed and any sort of reckless play is a penalty. Contrary to that, a few people have told me that it's actually Hockey and it's more manly than ice hockey because they were pads. Canada wouldn't play it because we would lose every time (AHAAHAHAHAHAH)

i guess my questions is, Are men playing Field Hockey frowned upon? If not, why?

And what the hell is netball?

Last edited:
well there's not really too many ice fields in the UK for ice hockey to be widespread, so hockey is more normally played here and it isn't considered a girls sport and not frowned upon

netball unlike hockey, is considered a girls sport here, it's a bit like basketball apart from you're not allowed to move when you have the ball, and movements are restricted by what position you play in (eg the defender is not allowed outside the first third of the pitch, and the striker not allowed into it)

Hurling looks like lacrosse just everyone is angry and instead of fighting they smash the crap out of each with blunt wooden sticks.

Hurling looks like lacrosse just everyone is angry and instead of fighting they smash the crap out of each with blunt wooden sticks.

It's a game of kings alright. Also, I enjoy the lack of padding.

They're all lousy sports. Real men play polo.

edit: by real men, of course, I mean men that can afford owning four horses.

Field hockey and netball are both considered pretty girly sports here in the UK. Most schools concentrate on those two sports for girls, whilst the boys play football and rugby. I've never played field hockey, and tbh would prefer to play another variant such as lacrosse.

Netball is pure sh*t. I honestly don't understand why it's still played. It's basically just a boring version of basketball (although almost certainly pre-dates basketball, in the same way Field hockey probably pre-dates most other forms of hockey). I used to play basketball, and watching the girls play netball was tedious. It's not as if basketball is a physical game, so there really is no reason why it's not played instead of netball at school. Unlike baseball and american football, basketball is a genuinely great sport to both play and watch (I can imagine baseball and american football are pretty fun to play, but are soo boring to watch).

Last edited:
Come at me.

display_image.jpg

Ah that old Gem..

It's harder than you'd imagine to find a photo of a one legged hurler Feic :/

I always thought the cave troll there was from one of my local clubs..Jersey is identical.

I always thought the cave troll there was from one of my local clubs..Jersey is identical.

Carnew Emmets, just a few miles up the road from you mate. Good team, usually get themselves into the county final. Obviously he wasn't on their seniors.

Field hockey and netball are both considered pretty girly sports here in the UK. Most schools concentrate on those two sports for girls, whilst the boys play football and rugby. I've never played field hockey, and tbh would prefer to play another variant such as lacrosse.

Field Hockey isn't really a girly sport, not to the same extent as Netball

no men or boys would be embarrassed to say they played hockey, unlike how they would if they said they played Netball, Synchronized Swimming, Cheerleading, Yoga, Aerobics

Netball is pure sh*t. I honestly don't understand why it's still played. It's basically just a boring version of basketball (although almost certainly pre-dates basketball, in the same way Field hockey probably pre-dates most other forms of hockey). I used to play basketball, and watching the girls play netball was tedious. It's not as if basketball is a physical game, so there really is no reason why it's not played instead of netball at school. Unlike baseball and american football, basketball is a genuinely great sport to both play and watch (I can imagine baseball and american football are pretty fun to play, but are soo boring to watch).

it's too easy to score in Basketball, when your team scores a try in rugby or scores a goal in football you are generally delighted, when it is basketball it is just mildly amusing

it is also size-ist, I'm 5 foot 6 or 7, and it rules out most people under 6 foot 6, so most people have no chance of playing

still better than Netball though, (which they make boys play at school)

I'll second hurling as a kickass sport

doesn't look that easy to watch, just searched it on YouTube and the ball is quite hard to see at times, would be even harder at the top of a stand surely

looks quite fun to play though

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YaxcYB-L_VE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Last edited:
Hello,

I have moved to the UK from Canada and have struggled to understand some things about UK.

First off, Field Hockey is a girl sport right? i had a rugby game a few weeks ago and saw a group of men playing in an organised league. Either that or it was some very burly women. In Canada, field Hockey is strictly a girls sport, men cannot look at themselves in the mirror if they play it. Any attempt to try field hockey results in so much hassling that you may as well castrate yourself. Especially when we have about 10 variations of actual hockey that you play plus both box and field lacrosse.

Youtube semi answered my question. Apparently, there is a field hockey world cup that men actually play and it's in the olympics. It looked very unexciting seeing as nobody checked anyone, the goalies sucked and they all looked pretty girly bent over playing with a small, weird stick. The shots looked unimpressive and there was absolutely nothing exciting about it.
As well, according to wiki your not allowed to stick check and blocking shots is frowned upon. Physical contact is not allowed and any sort of reckless play is a penalty. Contrary to that, a few people have told me that it's actually Hockey and it's more manly than ice hockey because they were pads. Canada wouldn't play it because we would lose every time (AHAAHAHAHAHAH)

i guess my questions is, Are men playing Field Hockey frowned upon? If not, why?

And what the hell is netball?

Field hockey is a very popular sport in the Netherlands, for both men and women. I like watching it (not as much as rugby bet a helluva lot more than soccer or any North American sport for that matter).

I live in a university city and you see hockey players EVERYWHERE on Sunday (match day). The sport is EXTREMELY popular under students but there's also a huge participation at the youth levels.

There's a whole professional competition and especially the good hockey players make a great living by doing what they do. I think they earn more than the average professional English male rugby player (even the top women hockey players).

So no, they're definitely not frowned upon over here.

Canada has a men's hockey team. They played at the World Cup in 2010 but got their asses handed to 'em every match. Korea even managed to win 9-2. They're like the Namibia of hockey.

I went to the final of the 1998 Hockey World Cup at Galgenwaard Stadium in Utrecht which was pretty cool. 25.000 people in the stadium. Not too bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts