• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

FIFA 09

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Oct 16 2008, 01:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Day Two playing Fifa:

Well I had another go at it today offline getting used to the game.

My impression of it today is a bit better than yesterday. The player collisions are the best I have seen from Fifa so far. Everything seems a whole lot more polished than 08 and you feel you have a bit more control than before.

The game speed at normal still feels a bit too fast to be enjoyable. It is playable but not enjoyable. It feels like you are just knocking it up to your striker without giving too much thought in it.

It is here that we encounter what I see as a problem. Everything seems too automatic. The game feels like it rewards those who choose assisted as the assisted passes always seem to be the best possible pass that could be delivered. Assisted through balls are just perfect. After a while it doesn't even feel like you are playing...it feels like the assisted ai does all the thinking for you and it even creates amazing things that you had not previously planned to do.

I went back to manual settings because I like to create my own stuff and in 08 my own stuff was better than the assisted stuff. However in 09 my own stuff was too difficult to pull off...in the end I realised that the assisted settings created better stuff than even I would have hoped for.

Sad really.

Later on I might have another go with the game speed at slow.[/b]

From what you wrote, it is everything I've feared would be an issue with the game. I was thinking of actually spending money on the game just because of the improvements and the fact that I'm bored as hell waiting for PES 2009 and Football Manager 2009, but I think I'll just wait it out now as I originally intended. Also, when looking at the cost of FIFA 09 I can take that saved $60 and put it towards the $70 it will only cost me to purchase both the new PES and FM.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (M Two One @ Oct 19 2008, 05:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Oct 16 2008, 01:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Day Two playing Fifa:

Well I had another go at it today offline getting used to the game.

My impression of it today is a bit better than yesterday. The player collisions are the best I have seen from Fifa so far. Everything seems a whole lot more polished than 08 and you feel you have a bit more control than before.

The game speed at normal still feels a bit too fast to be enjoyable. It is playable but not enjoyable. It feels like you are just knocking it up to your striker without giving too much thought in it.

It is here that we encounter what I see as a problem. Everything seems too automatic. The game feels like it rewards those who choose assisted as the assisted passes always seem to be the best possible pass that could be delivered. Assisted through balls are just perfect. After a while it doesn't even feel like you are playing...it feels like the assisted ai does all the thinking for you and it even creates amazing things that you had not previously planned to do.

I went back to manual settings because I like to create my own stuff and in 08 my own stuff was better than the assisted stuff. However in 09 my own stuff was too difficult to pull off...in the end I realised that the assisted settings created better stuff than even I would have hoped for.

Sad really.

Later on I might have another go with the game speed at slow.[/b]

From what you wrote, it is everything I've feared would be an issue with the game. I was thinking of actually spending money on the game just because of the improvements and the fact that I'm bored as hell waiting for PES 2009 and Football Manager 2009, but I think I'll just wait it out now as I originally intended. Also, when looking at the cost of FIFA 09 I can take that saved $60 and put it towards the $70 it will only cost me to purchase both the new PES and FM.
[/b][/quote]
Lol um..well this is Day Four for me now...and my opinion has totally reversed!

Day Four:

Just had time for one game today

I had a go playing it on broadcast view.

OMG!!! This reminds me of playing it on broadcast view in Fifa 2005.

I have to say that I am now in love with playing it offline. Broadcast view really does it for me. This is because the game LOOKS like real footie.

Now in Fifa 08 they DID NOT have broadcast view. Actually they didn't have a ton of stuff. So I had to play this silly soccer on tele view etc etc....whyich did not look like a sim to me but just a game.

Now on broadcast view on my 47 inch 1080p TV it is like "Wow this is real football"!!!

I pull the height and zoom fully back...and I really enjoy watching the game as I play as if I was watching a real game being show on TV. Broadcast view is simply BEAUTIFUL!

Now I feel my moves actually look better...I dunno what it is...but my little manual through ball passes that I use as a "manual" pass all over the park...well....they LOOK SO GOOD!

I don't know if it is me or my imagination but I think I can "see" runs better....whether they be my players or the opposition. On tele view it didn't look so natural and somtimes I would miss runs.

Well I am really buzzing after just ONE on Broadcast view and this is only my fourth day playing the game but I think that when I learn to play with this view I may perhaps have an edge online with the way I see runs taking place. It is a hard view to get used to...but when you do get used to it then its very rewarding...can't wait to get back home tonight to play again.

All in all this game is a very good ***le indeed. I can't see PES doing better....I know this sounds bias but it looks like Fifa have taken the good things of both franchises and combined it into this game.

I'm still going to pass and stick with PES 2009 only this year. A friend of mine told me that the manager mode is still exactly the same - weak and far too easy. From what I've read, the only ups in my interest to this year's ***le are realistic ball physics and player movement. The biggest issues I have still are that the editing options are still questionable and the CAP is still comparable to a PSone ***le.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (M Two One @ Oct 20 2008, 08:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm still going to pass and stick with PES 2009 only this year. A friend of mine told me that the manager mode is still exactly the same - weak and far too easy. From what I've read, the only ups in my interest to this year's ***le are realistic ball physics and player movement. The biggest issues I have still are that the editing options are still questionable and the CAP is still comparable to a PSone ***le.[/b]

PES is a big disappointment. For me hardly anything at all has changed and the AI of your fellow players is similar to a spectrum game where none of them run off the ball.

For the first year ever I prefer Fifa hands down, in all modes

Fifa rules this year.

Dunno what it is about broadcast view but it certainly adds something extra to the way the game plays, for some reason it feels better to play, it is really cool having that scope to see ahead of time where to pass the ball it makes the one two passing and passing into shots alot more fluid and you can map two or three options ahead alot easier than on the other views, I'm liking it alot and have become more addicted because of it.

I'm still playing around with the custom stuff and am starting to get better to the point where just changing to broadcast view and changing a few custom settings has improved my style of play a great deal to the point where I'm getting opportunities out of nowhere now, more fiddling and trying things will only improve my game more.

The depth of this game is enormous and I have to say even though I'm still getting to grips with it, I am addicted.

This game owns PES :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Radman @ Oct 20 2008, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
more fiddling and trying things will only improve my game more.[/b]
And thats the thing....the more you fiddle with stuff the more you discover ways to make the game better for you PERSONALLY. If it sucks straight away....fiddle around all over the place and you find ways to fix it.

I'm also liking the on the fly custom tactics, espescially the defensive and offensive shifting, it really works well along with the other options.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Radman @ Oct 20 2008, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm also liking the on the fly custom tactics, espescially the defensive and offensive shifting, it really works well along with the other options.[/b]
Yeah that is cool.

There seems to be a problem trying to defend long balls as the defence seems to push the attackers back quite a bit.  When a long ball is done a fast player will easily outrun  slow defender with that amount of space.

Or perhaps it is because I am trying to play the game on legendary where I use AEK Athens against Liverpool.  Maybe if I chose a lower setting and a better team I would not have my defenders getiing blitzed.

Anyway there is quite a bit to explore and fiddle around with this game unlike Fifa 08.  It will be a while before I settle into a groove.  Tonight though I will try the game online!

Day Five:

I went online for the first time tonight.

Played four games....lost four games.

It was a different experience online as opposed to offline.  I would have to say it wasn't what I would have liked.

The game online is played on normal speed.  Normal speed is just a tad bit too fast....which means it leans towards the arcade side.  I would have liked it better if the speed online was set at slow so there would be more scope for build ups.

With the speed at normal...manual passing and manual through balls are not as effective.  This is what I found offline and had to set the speed to slow to be able to use effectively any manual settings.  At normal speed the only way to survive is to play at assisted.

Here again is the problem....assisted online is the only way to survive because assisted is almost perfect.  The through balls are perfect.  Everything is perfect.  It is so perfect that is takes away from you thinking about playing.  The game therefore has turned arcade like online.

The only way to not have the arcade feeling is to play offline and set the speed to slow.

I  do like the fact that even though you set things at assisted...when you do pass into a space it goes there.

Has anyone played the new FIFA on PS2? I'm tempted to have a dabble with all the good press it's getting, but as a lowly student I don't want to have to splash out on a whole new console to get any enjoyment out of it.

Just reading on Fifa boards.....it seems that the game being played on normal speed online is ruining the online experience....normal speed is a bit too fast that the game has been referred to online as "ping pong" football. It seems to be that the game is simply x x x triangle square all the way upfield.....then the other guy does the same back to you. Pinging it around online is the most effective way to play as the defenders are too slow reacting to the fast speed of the action.

This is real shame and it can be fixed quite easily if EA slows down the speed online to the slow speed (which is still faster than 08).

Well if anyone trries to play proper build up football online...they won't be as successful as just pinging all over the place with one touch pinging until you see a gap. I was getting nowhere near the goal trying to play properly...then i thought I would give the ping a go....voila! Just like that i start to make inroads.

This is not how an online experience should be.

Craig and I had a game yesterday.

Started off cat and mouse like...lots of cautious passing from the back and small probing etc.

Then I get a chance to run down the left flank....I start cutting back towards the goal...keeper comes out...I ground pass to my player who is across at the far post who puts it in. First goal to me!

I started thinking I have already got this game in the bag.

So confident I am that I am passing it around my box when Craig take it off me like an angry schoolmaster telling off a kid and puts it in the net. 1-1

Halftime

Craig makes a few changes....I don't....BAD move for me lol!

Second half Craig does some quick passing and gets it to Messi....who punishes me with a powerful strike. 2-1 top Craig.

Then from halfway he makes a run on the counter attack and Keane out runs three of my defenders....one on one with the keeper...bang...3-1 to Craig.

Then my connection breaks.....lucky for me lol!

Great game!!!!!

I can't get enough of this brilliant game,it has caused me to stop working on roster now for a while :p .Just on thing that bugs me is players from the same team running into each other and falling to the ground like a sack of potatoes :wacko: .Does this happen to you on the console too Gay-Guy?

Other than that small "bug",best sports game I've ever played,nevermind just a football game :bravo:

Why the **** do they have the New Zealand national team but not Japan or the J-League?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ Nov 7 2008, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Why the **** do they have the New Zealand national team but not Japan or the J-League?[/b]

Konami own the rights to the J-League and Japan national football team!

Talk about NZ being there so many Welsh players on the game and not even the Welsh national side! Its a shambles, people may say Wales are shite at football which we are but we have some talented players!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ Nov 7 2008, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why the **** do they have the New Zealand national team but not Japan or the J-League?[/b]

Konami own the rights to the J-League and Japan national football team!

Talk about NZ being there so many Welsh players on the game and not even the Welsh national side! Its a shambles, people may say Wales are shite at football which we are but we have some talented players!
[/b][/quote]

Couldn't be any worse than the "All Whites".

Got the game a 3 days ago.

I'm in love with it. Simply awesome. Be a pro online was definetly entertaining despite the ball hogs who dont play as a team.

However playing online one on one was completely different to playing a computer. First 3-4 games I got smashed like 6-0 and I just cant find an opponent that is as crap as me. Opponents just too seem to be too fast in attack and in defense, while I'm too slow to catch their forwards and too slow to go past their defenders.

I need some practice.

Well guys after being a Pro Evo fan for like ever I am now fully convertered fifa 09 fan. My gosh this game offers so much more than Pro its crazy from the gameplay to the graphics presentation etc.

Never thought I would say this but Pro Evo was buried in my back garden after a long and tearfull farewell, it was almost as sad as burying Jono.

Latest posts