Fight For Life

nickdnz

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
Well, Fight for Life is making it's long awaited return this December. For those who don't know, it is a charity boxing event to prostate cancer. The theme has long been a boxing match between Rugby Union players and Rugby League players. On the cards for the up and coming match are -

Team Union
Jonah Lomu
Liam Messam
Christian Cullen
Carlos Spencer
Troy Flavell
lade McFarland

Team League
Wendell Sailor
Monty Betham
Isaac Luke
Awen Guttenbeil
Joe Vagana
Jerry Seuseu

It'll be a really interesting event. I'd love to see Jonah Lomu vs Wendell Sailor, but all the possible match ups look entertaining. Jonah Lomu earlier challenged Sonny Bill Williams, but SBW's camp said that SBW wanted to fight someone with credibility. This certainly was a remarkable statement considering SW's last opponent, Alipate Liava'a, a 43 year old on a sickness benefit. Lomu has continued his challenge to Sonny Bill Wiliams. Match-ups are still undecided and there is likely to be a few more boxers added to the cards.

Last edited:
Would love to see Lomu ruin SBW

Never heard about this before, but looks/sounds cracking!

I have been looking forward to this event for a while. Wouldn't think Carlos Spencer is a good boxer, though I expect him to dance around the ring taunting his opposition. SBW would never fight in such an event, he would get his ass handed to him on a plate and if he came across Lomu big Jonah would give no mercy.

I have been looking forward to this event for a while. Wouldn't think Carlos Spencer is a good boxer.

Remember he's assistant coach for the Lions in Johannesburg... don't be surprised if he whips out a knife and stabs his opponent!

I'm actually really interested in seeing Cullen box. He's always been extremely strong for his size. I also always wondered what would have happened if his wind up punch hit Michael Brial.

Brial v Bunce would be great. Bunce was a very good boxer, so it'd be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jonah's a bit of a dick as a person, there aren't that many tongans that actually think he's all that.

I'm hoping that if SBW did fight him - he would smash him. And the only reason that the SBW camp said that is that Alipate had boxing history. Jonah has none.

Although there is a possibility of Jonah vs Manu "The Beast" Vatuvei NZ warriors rugby league and another Tongan Giant with amazing speed.

I just want to see Jonah fight, you cant really say Jonah will do this and that in a sport you've never seen him perform in. It'll be interesting to see how he goes and Sailor also.

Every time I watch these fight for lifes, its League that always wins, no disrepect to the Union fighters.

As for Brial, he wouldve been happy it got broken up when it did because he was out of gas. He gave Frank all he had, a lot of them misfires and Frank didnt even stagger. Poor Frank he didnt get a turn on a very fatigued Brial, so I'd have to give that one to Brial.

Last edited:
if Monty is fighting i hope he's fighting someone else who's a pro, coz Monty is/was a professional boxer and is a pro trainer. another thing is all the league fighters are younger and probably fitter than the union fighters lol, Messam is the only one in the union team i think could actually win, unless he's the one fighting Monty

Cameron v Betham will be fantastic. Betham made the transition from league to boxing very well, but I think Cameron is just in another class. Looking forward to Isaac Luke v Christian Cullen, Liam Messam v Wendell Sailor (which should be the main event) and Spencer v Guttenbeil.

Cameron v Betham will be fantastic. Betham made the transition from league to boxing very well, but I think Cameron is just in another class. Looking forward to Isaac Luke v Christian Cullen, Liam Messam v Wendell Sailor (which should be the main event) and Spencer v Guttenbeil.

Betham's going to get killed by Cameron....Cameron fought David Tua and yes he got smashed up but Monty has never fought anyone of true fighting status.

lol I just saw one of Monty's fights online and unless Monty has improved dramatically, he's going to get knocked out in the first round, unless Cameron decides to take it easy on him then maybe a 6 round knock out, Cameron does have a reputation to keep and beating Monty by decision won't look good on his record

The fight I'm mostly looking forward to is Haley Holt vs Paige Hereb, not just because they're two hot blondes, but coz i also find it interesting just to see how two girls who've never fought before are actually going to do, are they going to flail about and look ridiculous? or are they going to come out looking bad ass? are they going to lose it and try to kill each other?

Messam vs Guttenbeil should also be good, i think thats an even match
be interesting to see how Carlos Spencer goes, he always did fancy sh*t on the field so I wonder what fancy sh*t he's gonna try and do in the ring :D

Last edited:
I can see this being Betham

Last edited by a moderator:
SBW wanted to fight someone with credibility? Like another forklift driver or something?

Hope Cullen gives Isaac Luke a beating, can't stand Luke, grub of a player who needs to drop his hardman attitude.

Yeah Monty can train as hard as he wants and Shane can turn up hungover and still win.

Looking forward to Hollys fight, I think its Holly that chick of the crowd goes wild.

Cullen is too nice for a brother like Issac who hails from the badlands of Hawera, you never know though, Cully just might amaze us once again.

Messam looks interesting especially after his training on youtube.

Guttenbeil vs Spencer seems like a bit of an unfair mismatch. Scrawny playmaker vs hulking loose-forward.. Maybe the guy organising the card is a Cantabrian.

As for the girl matchup, i spent a bit of time training with Hareb in basketball sides growing up. Shes an absolute beast; one of those people that treats every little task from training scrimmages to the finals as a matter of life and death. She was always the most rugged player on the court and was responsible for her fair share of opposition injuries. The other girl is just a ballroom dancer who really doesn't realise what shes getting in to, if she leaves with all her teeth she would have done a good job.

I kind of see the Cameron vs Betham fight being a non event, this is an exhibition fight for charity, they would look foolish going 110% imo. Cameron can take care of himself but he also wants to fight for a ***le. This fight is just going to be a sparring session I reckon, neither wants to risk their health, just turning up and making an appearance will still draw the crowds in. I'd love to see them in a true Pro bout but definitely believe Betham would get punished.

I'll probably buy the PPV, for the cause and because of the ***** fight which will be funny as.

Holt looks pretty powerful hitting the heavy bag, and she's had good trainers preparing her for the last 2 or 3 months. Pretty sure Hareb has been concentrating on surfing.
Holt was also an NZ level snow boarder back in her day which is an athletic background, and dancing gives her some good foot work. Hareb is apparently a very determined character and hates losing, she must be the fitter of the two also and she'll give as good as she gets,

Prediction: Holt narrow decision

Liam Messam vs. Wendell Sailor= Sailor dec
Issac Luke vs. Christian Cullen= Luke dec
Jerry Seuseu vs. Slade McFarland= Seuseu dec
Awen Guttenbeil vs. Carlos Spencer= Guttenbeil ko
Wairangi Koopu vs. Matua Parkinson = Koopu dec

Last edited:
now that i think about it, I think Messam will easily deal with Sailor, I remember seeing him a year ago training with SBW and saying he wants to get into boxing, so he must have been doing boxing training for a long time now, whereas Sailor says he's been doing it for just a couple months.

but other than that I think all James predictions are right

who has Paige Hareb been training with?

Latest posts