[TD]23[/TD]
[TD]Tom Prydie[/TD]
[TD]Chris Czekaj[/TD]
[TD]Ross Jones/Eli Walker[/TD]
[TD]Viliame Iongi/Daniel Newton[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Last edited:
Ospreys and Scarlets have good 22's Dragons and Blues...not so much.

Ospreys and Scarlets have good 22's Dragons and Blues...not so much.

Yeah, our tight five and bench is pretty poor. Blues, same. There are numerous young players who I would like to include, but can't see it happening immediately.

Yeah, our tight five and bench is pretty poor. Blues, same. There are numerous young players who I would like to include, but can't see it happening immediately.

Understand that, Rabo won't be to bad if they can field those teams but H Cup could be painful.

Understand that, Rabo won't be to bad if they can field those teams but H Cup could be painful.

Well, we don't have to worry about that ;)
Ha ha ha, awww, made myself sad.

Jason Eaton had been linked to us and the Turks; Robin Davey seems to think that is over for us now. Gareth Owen has now been linked to us as well, and Darren is supposedly going to/in South Africa looking for forwards. If he comes back with Pierre Spies...

Dragons
Tim Ryan is a tighthead, so I think Nathan Williams will continue to be the first choice. Apparently Ian Nimmo was one of the most highly rated Championship players and was in the Championship "Dream Team" last season so he could start ahead of Adam Jones. I don't know whether Edwards will continue starting Tuilagi but Dragons fans can certainly hope not, Hughes is a much more talented prospect. Another player who could start for the Dragons is hooker Gerwyn Price who is currently training with the squad in view to a deal, apparently he was one of the most impressive players in the Principality Premiership this past season.

Cardiff Blues
I don't think they will drop Rush, B&B constantly kept Andrews, Tyrrell, Breeze and Gavin Evans in the team despite their woefulness, who knows whether Phil Davies will do the same.

Ospreys
I hope Stowers doesn't start, he was poor last season, a decent ball carrier but poor in most other departments and couldn't be bothered to ruck, he was a poor signing, I would rather Bearman start as he at least gives more effort and work rate. Hopefully there is a signing in the backs to come.

Scarlets
Eaton will start if he comes, not sure Turnbull is considered an 8 or has ever played there for the Scarlets they have always preferred to shift McCusker there instead, other than that the team will be like you wrote it.

Dragons
Tim Ryan is a tighthead, so I think Nathan Williams will continue to be the first choice. Apparently Ian Nimmo was one of the most highly rated Championship players and was in the Championship "Dream Team" last season so he could start ahead of Adam Jones. I don't know whether Edwards will continue starting Tuilagi but Dragons fans can certainly hope not, Hughes is a much more talented prospect. Another player who could start for the Dragons is hooker Gerwyn Price who is currently training with the squad in view to a deal, apparently he was one of the most impressive players in the Principality Premiership this past season.

Cardiff Blues
I don't think they will drop Rush, B&B constantly kept Andrews, Tyrrell, Breeze and Gavin Evans in the team despite their woefulness, who knows whether Phil Davies will do the same.

Ospreys
I hope Stowers doesn't start, he was poor last season, a decent ball carrier but poor in most other departments and couldn't be bothered to ruck, he was a poor signing, I would rather Bearman start as he at least gives more effort and work rate. Hopefully there is a signing in the backs to come.

Scarlets
Eaton will start if he comes, not sure Turnbull is considered an 8 or has ever played there for the Scarlets they have always preferred to shift McCusker there instead, other than that the team will be like you wrote it.
Thanks Duck.
-Didn't know about Ryan, I'll make a note of it to come. Gerwyn is indeed training with us from what I have heard, great news. Rhys Downes has joined Newport RFC and could also be an option. I'd rather try Dixon at outside centre over Tuilagi. Dixon and Amos have been placed with Bedwas, so hopefully Amos manages to somehow stick with us, even though he is off to Cambridge.

-Pretorius seemed decent at 8 when he returned, Rush is ancient. Wales also need a backup 8, just my preference.

-Hopefully Dan Baker or Morgan Allen get a chance then, Bearman is pretty old as well.

-Turks back row is open for debate. Shingler is their best blindside, the rest is up for grabs. McCusker could make a good 8, but not to bring Turnbull (who I consider an overrated player) on the openside. Daniel Thomas is the future.

Well, I'll just copy, paste and then change the first post as I see fit, then...

[TABLE="class: cms_table"]
<tbody>[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Dragons[/TD]
[TD]Blues[/TD]
[TD]Ospreys[/TD]
[TD]Scarlets[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]15[/TD]
[TD]Tom Prydie[/TD]
[TD]Leigh Halfpenny
[/TD]
[TD]Richard Fussell
[/TD]
[TD]Liam Williams[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]14[/TD]
[TD]Will Harries[/TD]
[TD]Alex Cuthbert
[/TD]
[TD]Eli Walker/Luke Morgan
[/TD]
[TD]Morgan Stoddart
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]13[/TD]
[TD]Adam Hughes
[/TD]
[TD]Dafydd Hewitt/Cory Allen
[/TD]
[TD]Andrew Bishop
[/TD]
[TD]Jonathan Davies
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]12[/TD]
[TD]Ashley Smith[/TD]
[TD]Jamie Roberts
[/TD]
[TD]Ashley Beck
[/TD]
[TD]Scott Williams
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]11[/TD]
[TD]Tonderai Chavanga
[/TD]
[TD]Harry Robinson
[/TD]
[TD]Hanno Dirksen
[/TD]
[TD]George North
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD]Lewis Robling
[/TD]
[TD]Jason Tovey[/TD]
[TD]Dan Biggar[/TD]
[TD]Rhys Priestland[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]9[/TD]
[TD]Wayne Evans
[/TD]
[TD]Lloyd Williams[/TD]
[TD]Rhys Webb
[/TD]
[TD]Tavis Knoyle
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]Nathan Williams
[/TD]
[TD]Tao Filise
[/TD]
[TD]Ryan Bevington
[/TD]
[TD]Rhodri Jones
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]Geraint Price
[/TD]
[TD]Rhys Williams
[/TD]
[TD]Richard Hibbard
[/TD]
[TD]Ken Owens
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD]Tim Ryan
[/TD]
[TD]Benoit Bourrust
[/TD]
[TD]Adam Jones[/TD]
[TD]Deacon Manu
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD]Jevon Groves
[/TD]
[TD]Bradley Davies[/TD]
[TD]Alun Wyn Jones
[/TD]
[TD]Sione Timani
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]5[/TD]
[TD]Rob Sidoli
[/TD]
[TD]Michael Paterson
[/TD]
[TD]Ian Evans
[/TD]
[TD]George Earle
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]6[/TD]
[TD]Dan Lydiate[/TD]
[TD]Andries Pretorius
[/TD]
[TD]Ryan Jones
[/TD]
[TD]Josh Turnbull
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD]Lewis Evans
[/TD]
[TD]Sam Warburton[/TD]
[TD]Justin Tipuric
[/TD]
[TD]Rob McCusker
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]Toby Faletau
[/TD]
[TD]Xavier Rush
[/TD]
[TD]Joe Bearman
[/TD]
[TD]Aaron Shingler
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]16[/TD]
[TD]Sam Parry
[/TD]
[TD]Andy Kyriacou[/TD]
[TD]Scott Baldwin[/TD]
[TD]Matthew Rees[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]17[/TD]
[TD]Dan Way
[/TD]
[TD]Campese Ma'afu
[/TD]
[TD]Duncan Jones[/TD]
[TD]Phil John
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]18[/TD]
[TD]Phil Price
[/TD]
[TD]Scott Andrews[/TD]
[TD]Aaron Jarvis
[/TD]
[TD]Samson Lee
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]19[/TD]
[TD]Ian Nimmo[/TD]
[TD]Lou Reed
[/TD]
[TD]James King
[/TD]
[TD]Unknown SR/Kieran Murphy
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]20[/TD]
[TD]Darren Waters
[/TD]
[TD]Josh Navidi
[/TD]
[TD]George Stowers
[/TD]
[TD]Daniel Thomas
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]21[/TD]
[TD]Jonathan Evans
[/TD]
[TD]Lewis Jones
[/TD]
[TD]Kahn Fotuali'i
[/TD]
[TD]Gareth Davies
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]22[/TD]
[TD]Steffan Jones
[/TD]
[TD]Ceri Sweeney
[/TD]
[TD]Matthew Morgan[/TD]
[TD]Jordan Williams
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]23[/TD]
[TD]Daniel Evans/Pat Leach
[/TD]
[TD]Chris Czekaj
[/TD]
[TD]Ross Jones/Eli Walker
[/TD]
[TD]Viliame Iongi
[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

I reckon Tandy'll go with Walker, but I'd rather we either have a look at Morgan or stick Fussell on the wing with Ross Jones at Fullback, although my preference would've been to keep hold of Prydie. Really not sure about the Blues back-five, could be any combination of Rush, Pretorius, Paterson, Reed, Navidi, Down and Hamilton, really, as Warburton and Bradley are the only nailed-on starters. There's a few positions in which I feel slightly 'Mmmhhhh...' about, but hopefully the players who haven't yet proved themselves can do so and all that.

Anyway for Leinster I'd say it's pretty much the same. For the start of the year with SO'B, Fitzgerald and Ruddock injured I'd say it'll be.

1. Healy
2. Strauss
3. Ross
4. Cullen
5. Toner
6. McLaughlin
7. Jennings
8. Heaslip
9. Reddan
10. Sexton
11. McFadden
12. D'arcy
13. O'Driscoll
14. Nacewa
15. Kearney

16. Cronin
17. Van Der Merwe
18. Hagan
19. Roux/Denton
20. Ryan
21. Boss
22. Madigan
23. D. Kearney

Not a bad side. I think Cullen may prove to be a bit old this season and Roux or Denton will have to step up. I'd like to see a 10-12 of Sexton-Madigan tried and for Luke McGrath to start pushing Boss for his bench spot.

Boys Filise is not a loosehead.

04perryo this is Rabo and not Aviva <_<

Yeah put it in the wrong one, but no worries it can be moved :)

He plays on both sides doesn't he? Or at least he used to when he played in New Zealand (in fact he was more of a loosehead who could cover tighthead), and he has certainly had plenty of starts for Tonga in the 1 Jersey over the years. He may not have played much loosehead recently, but he has certainly played there quite a bit in the past....

I'll give the Munster selection a go.

15. Scanlon
14. Howlett
13. Lualala
12. Downey
11. Earls
10. Keatley
9. Murray
1. Kilcoyne
2. Sherry
3. Botha
4. Ryan
5. POC
6. Stander
7. O'Donnell
8. POM

Subs: John Ryan, Varley, Du Preez, Nagle, Dave O'Callaghan, Zebo, Hanrahan, Stringer

That would be my preferred team. I think the likes of ROG, DOC, Archer, Johne Murphy, Dennis Hurley, Niall Ronan, Coughlan, Barnes and Horan will feature a lot though. Rob Penney might have different ideas to McGahan.

Small thing but I'd say Stander and PO'M will switch. Also doubt that Scanlon will start at 15. Of course we also don't know how adventurous Penney will be with selection.

I was always under the impression that he preferred to play looshead, but due to the Blues having no-one else on the tight and the best prop in the world (and Gary Powell before he retired) on the loose, that Falise played at tighthead instead.

I'd go along with most of the squads put forward so far. For the Dragons I think Prydie will start as first choice fullback next season, but Daniel Evans will be a great replacement to have. The Dragons tight five looks extremely weak. Sidoli is nowhere near Pro12 standard anymore, let alone the Amlin. That's a pity, because the backrow and backline are pretty decent.

For the Blues, I think Paterson will continue as first choice lock, although it would be nice to see one of Screech, Down or Hill get more gametime (why did the Blues buy Lou Reed when they've got the three most promising young locks in Wales on their books, you needed a f***king decent tighthead!!!!!) In the backrow, I think Pretorius will be at blindside flanker, and Rush will continue at 8. The young Hamilton is one to look out for at 8 (despite playing 6 for the U20's). Tovey should make the world of difference to the Blues backline, looking forward to see how he and Roberts combine. I hope Phil Davies gives Cory Allen gametime ahead of both Dafydd Hewitt and Gavin Evans (especially Gavin Evans :rahh:). Not sure how a Roberts - Allen combo would work though, two very similar players.

The Ospreys will be relatively unchanged from this year. Bevington instead of Paul James, but that won't weaken them in the slightest. I'm really looking forward to Bevington being first choice. Bearman really came good towards the end of last season, but I still think Stowers playing at his best would be exactly the kind of abrasive ball carrier they need, but that depends on Stowers reaching the kinda form he showed on a couple of occasions v's the Ospreys in the HC. Bringing Ross Jones in at fullback and moving Fussell back to the wing could be an option, but I think the Ospreys will feel that they've put too much effort into Fussell's transition to fullback to scrap it now. There were genuine signs of it working as well at the end of the season, so Fussell will start as first choice, but I'm excited at the prospect of Ross Jones. Eli Walker is going backwards. Couldn't even nail down a starting spot for the U20's, he's got a lot of work to do if he wants to full the huge void of Shane.

The Scarlets are starting to look interesting. Some of their signings are along the right sort of track. There has been money made available for a couple more signings I understand, so expect another lock and hopefully prop. With the young U20's front row doing so well at the JWC, the loss of Iestyn Thomas and Rhys Thomas is a little less devastating now. I expect to see Samson Lee in particular get some gametime on the tight to see if he can make the step-up (I have a feeling his scrummaging is strong enough to do so). A shame that we probably won't see much of the U20's captain Kirby Myhill at hooker, great prospect, but with Owens, Rees and even Emyr Phillips in the Scarlets squad he's going to have his work cut out. Soooo many blindsides available to them, but I don't think Draggs' suggestion of playing all three in the backrow is the correct one. Kieran Murphy did well at the end of last season, so continue with him. Also, get Daniel Thomas involved asap. It'll be nice to see Stoddart back, let's hope his injuries are over for a while!

Last edited:
The likely Ulster selection

15. Jared Payne
14. Tommy Bowe
13. Darren Cave
12. Paddy Wallace
11. Andrew Trimble
10. Paddy Jackson
9. Ruan Pienaar
1. Tom Court
2. Rory Best
3. John Afoa
4. Johann Muller
5. Dan Tuohy
6. Stephen Ferris
7. Chris Henry
8. Roger Wilson

16. Nigel Brady
17. Paddy MacAllister
18. Declan Fitzpatrick
19. Lewis Stevenson/Iain Henderson
20. Nick Williams
21. Paul Marshall
22. NOC/Luke Marshall/Nevin Spence
23. Adam D'Arcy/Craig Gilroy

Personally, that looks very strong, and there's a strong element of continuity - only three changes to the starting XV, one of whom's a youngster coming through and two guys coming home to guys they've played with before.

The weak points are with the coach who we know little about, with 10 where for all my faith Jackson still has proving and growing to do, and in terms of depth - there are very few cases where a sub is putting pressure of the first XV (we'll call him Craig Gilroy) and I'm not sure we'll cope too well with the inevitable injuries, international rest periods and call ups. Bringing through a better class of reserve forward in particularly is why I think Anscombe's here.

For Ulster it really is all riding on how Jackson develops. I personally haven't seen him live up to his reputation at all, but if he reaches the level that people play his is capable of then Ulster will suddenly not only have one of the Europes best half back partnerships but also they will basically be set at fly half for the next 10 years. It's a big risk though and the back up 10 is certainly not up to a high standard.

1. Rhodri Jones
2. Ken Owens
3. Deacon Manu/Possible other prop
4. Sione Timani
5. Tomas Vallejos
6. Aaron Shingler
7. Dan Thomas
8. Rob McCusker
9. Gareth Davies
10. Rhys Priestland
11. George North
12. Scott Williams/Adam Warren
13. Jonathan Davies
14. Morgan Stoddart
15. Liam Williams

16. Matthew Rees
17. Phil John/Rob Evans
18. Deacon Manu/Possible other prop/Samson Lee (Simon Gardiner has been released iirc)
19. George Earle
20. Josh Turnbull/Kieran Murphy
21. Tavis Knoyle
22. Jordan Williams
23. Scott Williams/Adam Warren/Viliame Iongi

For Ulster it really is all riding on how Jackson develops. I personally haven't seen him live up to his reputation at all, but if he reaches the level that people play his is capable of then Ulster will suddenly not only have one of the Europes best half back partnerships but also they will basically be set at fly half for the next 10 years. It's a big risk though and the back up 10 is certainly not up to a high standard.

Don't think he's going to overnight fulfil his potential like that, sexy as it would be.

Anyway, if Anscombe doesn't sort our pack reserves, Jackson could be the ginger Carter and it wouldn't matter too much...

Latest posts