• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

First Test: Australia vs. British and Irish Lions (22/06/13)

Hi

My take Genia best Aussie by a country mile then he is best 9 in world by a country mile.

BOD slightly unluckly on second pen but first stone wall,remember tackle protocol tackler to release(clear get to feet support weight play ball not man on ground); arriving player stay on feet enter correct play ball not tacklee.Tacklee relaese, place or pass.

Think CP was consistant with this the only issue us NH fans/players see on day in day out basis is that supporting weight is not policed the same as in Super Rugby where clear daylight is a phrase I hear all time on ref mike when watching on Sky thus in NH more holding on pens and SH more for no release/not supporting weight I see merit in each way of reffing but as long as consistant then I have no issues players should just adapt to refs style.

My gripe with CP was lack of managing Guards at ruck and mauls being offside this effectively shut down gain line success in fringe area's around ruck and maul thus effectively shutting down Phillips and pick and go's. I think CJ will police this area better as this is one of his 'things'.

Changes for next week not alot but disappointed with impact from bench maybe Manu or Bowe / Gray/ SOB real worry is Tighthead Jones great in scrum little else Cole dire off bench all else ok without being world beaters but good enough to win just.

Pretty much this ^^^

Jacklers supporting their bodyweight on their forearms, elbows and knuckles is something that isn't usually allowed in SuperRugby. If I may digress for a moment, in the three NZ v France tests, the three NH referees (Barnes, Rolland and Owens) had a very slack approach to this aspect of the breakdown, to the extent that on occasion I saw French players on their knees turning the ball over. AB's took a while to adapt to this.

Back on topic, Pollock was very slack on pinging offside guards, especially when Genia was box kicking from the base of rucks. There were a few times when Genia actually directed players in to stand offside in front of him to protect his kick from being charged. PoC actually pointed this out to him on several occasions, but CP didn't appear to be interested.

Well, if u talk about the kicks, the effectiveness of Quade Cooper is not much higher than that of James. But undoubtedly Quade is a very dominating player, and if he is on a good day can make a difference to Wallabies. If I'm the Wallabies Coach I would call him, but James O'Connor also seems a great player, they can play together. Quade as first five and James as second five or vice versa.

Regards

Yup spot on. JOC is not a natural 10, he can play there, but in a tight test match, you need someone who's been playing there most of his career. I've been going on about sticking JOC in at 12 for years! If he can play wing, FB and 10, then he can play 12. He's not big, but for his size he is very powerful and he is very adept at making little half breaks in congested areas. Depending on injuries, I'd start with the following backline:

9.Ginea
10. Cooper
12. Joc
13.AAC
14.Ionae
15.Folau
11. Beale

I've got Folau at FB & Beale on the wing, because I think Folau is a little bit more dangerous at fullback. Plus he is solid under the high ball. Beale is easily quick enough to play wing.

Stop giving away stupid penalties would be ideal.

5 penalties in 3 games is hardly a bad stat considering 2 or 3 of them were against the Brambles in a game where the front 5 may as well not have bothered playing and he has also been the most consistent carrier and link man for the Lions this tour. After Craft's non performance yesterday I think the Lions either need Lydiate to start with SOB on the bench or SOB to start with anyone but Lydiate on the bench.
Hi

My take Genia best Aussie by a country mile then he is best 9 in world by a country mile.

BOD slightly unluckly on second pen but first stone wall,remember tackle protocol tackler to release(clear get to feet support weight play ball not man on ground); arriving player stay on feet enter correct play ball not tacklee.Tacklee relaese, place or pass.

Think CP was consistant with this the only issue us NH fans/players see on day in day out basis is that supporting weight is not policed the same as in Super Rugby where clear daylight is a phrase I hear all time on ref mike when watching on Sky thus in NH more holding on pens and SH more for no release/not supporting weight I see merit in each way of reffing but as long as consistant then I have no issues players should just adapt to refs style.

My gripe with CP was lack of managing Guards at ruck and mauls being offside this effectively shut down gain line success in fringe area's around ruck and maul thus effectively shutting down Phillips and pick and go's. I think CJ will police this area better as this is one of his 'things'.

Changes for next week not alot but disappointed with impact from bench maybe Manu or Bowe / Gray/ SOB real worry is Tighthead Jones great in scrum little else Cole dire off bench all else ok without being world beaters but good enough to win just.

Would you bring Gray up to the bench? Because O'Cornell and Wum Jones had a huge role in determining the outcome of that game in my opinion.

5 penalties in 3 games is hardly a bad stat considering 2 or 3 of them were against the Brambles in a game where the front 5 may as well not have bothered playing and he has also been the most consistent carrier and link man for the Lions this tour. After Craft's non performance yesterday I think the Lions either need Lydiate to start with SOB on the bench or SOB to start with anyone but Lydiate on the bench.

It is bad, its the worst of the players in contention and it is consistent in that O'Brien has been giving away a penalty a game on average for his entire international career. Croft and Lydiate are maybe on 1 every 2 games. O'Brien has to be head and shoulders above players to merit selection when giving away that many penalties and right now he isn't. If you think that was a non-performance from Croft, you and me were watching different games.

Sack BOD off, then. He should have learnt from his first penalty what he was doing was wrong, and those (potential) 6 points could have cost us the game. He also conceded the penalty (never should have been one, but the stats still show it as one) that directly led to Folau's first try.

Edit:
According to ESPNScrum stats (which are definitely wrong, as they have BOD as giving away 2 yesterday, when he gave away at least 3) BOD has given away 4 in 3 (5 in 3 counting the missed one yesterday).

Last edited:
Croft charging out out of defence for an intercept to create hole for Genia. Why an earth Phillips jogging curiously slowly for 12th minute in a Lions test? North should have probably stayed on Folau and left Genia to Halfpenny.

diapo2e2f9b566f78a1e7ac5460b8fd052a4b.gif

Croft charging out out of defence for an intercept to create hole for Genia. Why an earth Phillips jogging curiously slowly for 12th minute in a Lions test? North should have probably stayed on Folau and left Genia to Halfpenny.

diapo2e2f9b566f78a1e7ac5460b8fd052a4b.gif
I wouldn't say that's him going out for an intercept, that's what he had to do.
It was a 3 on 2 unless he got there: He presumed Phillips had Genia and North had Folau, so went straight for where he presumed the ball was going to (is that JOC?) but Genia stepped inside-then-outside Phillips instead.

Philps is the one who is at fault for that try he hardly even attempt to to chase Genia down once he wrong footed him.

Phillips didn't even need to actually make the tackle, if he'd have chased back at full pace it would've allowed North to stay out wide marking Folau.
No way of knowing if he'd have stopped the try or not, but there's a better chance of getting a toe on that kick or whatever if there's actually a defender in the wide channel!

I find it incredible that people are trying to find something in North's point. Players pointlessly shove, barge, or goad each other all over the field, off the ball, throughout the game, yet that's fine according to some people, where a celebratory point is treason(?) Take Croft getting quite blatently shoved after his try against the Tah's... I don't like that a lot of the people who complain about these things just want to find examples of thuggery or dickishness from the North.

Seems going by team for Rebels that apart from Bowe for Maitland and maybe someone for Croft or Lydiate it'll be same 23 for next weekend. And will mention fair play to Heaslip. Was lucky to tour but has played superbly on tour and was excellent yesterday again.
Phillips deserves to be dropped, Croft I'd question and also if Tuilagi is fit would we be smart to play him at 12?
My worry about Bowe is what condition will he be in

Just read that Gatland has said Roberts is potentially available for selection for Saturday.
I think he parts far too much faith in this cryo-crap. If Roberts starts I guarantee he'll go off with a hamstring problem before time.

Philps is the one who is at fault for that try he hardly even attempt to to chase Genia down once he wrong footed him.
I agree completely. I found him below par yesterday. Very lethargic and lacking in defense

I find it incredible that people are trying to find something in North's point. Players pointlessly shove, barge, or goad each other all over the field, off the ball, throughout the game, yet that's fine according to some people, where a celebratory point is treason(?) Take Croft getting quite blatently shoved after his try against the Tah's... I don't like that a lot of the people who complain about these things just want to find examples of thuggery or dickishness from the North.
Have people mentioned Folau throwing the ball at Sexton after his second try too?

Well, great win even if we did ride our luck a bit.

The starting front row were great both at the set piece and in the loose. Youngs played the best game I have ever seen him play but the replacement front row went to pieces and perhaps Cole might make way on the bench for Stevens.

The back 5 of the scrum grafted exceptionally well dont remember a single turn over and that is down to the graft they put in around the breakdown. OK there were no big line breaks from the likes of Croft or Heaslip but I will settle for that if the breakdown is secured. Someone (probably a SOB fan) even suggested Croft had a no game, they obviously were not paying attention to the lineout or what he or the other forwards were doing around the park.

The backs played well despite a few miss tackles from Sexton and Halfpenny but the Aussies always seemed to get over the gain line when they attcked in midfield and I thought some of the tactical kicking from Phillips in particular was awful it was too long and was not chased effectively and this needs sorting out for the second test.

Would stick with the same side for the second test unless Bowe is fit but would shuffle the bench getting rid of Cole and bring in Stevens, Swap Lydiate for SOD and if Roberts or Manu are fit bring them onto the bench too.

Are the Lions going to take this series because their opposition can't kick at goal like we (Springboks of 97) couldn't? Also despite the host of injuries to Aus midfield players I can think of at least 2 better ways to reshuffle that backline without resorting to a backrower at center.

I find it incredible that people are trying to find something in North's point.
I hate taunting of opposition players. What George North did was goad Will Genia and reminded me of Delon Armitage being a dick in the Heineken Cup final.

By all means celebrate a try in as extravagant a manner as possible but don't do it at the expense of an opponent. North is a terrific player and actions like that are unbecoming of him.

Just my 2 cents.

If you think that was a non-performance from Croft, you and me were watching different games.

Yeah I agree, far from a non performance. We conceded just three turnovers, one of which was illegal as the tackler didn't release before going for the ball, and Croft had a hand in that. I've also seen reports stating that Warburton also had a poor game, and I don't quite understand that either. I thought he put in a great shift in both defense and at the breakdown, but because Pollock wasn't allowing any competition there, Warburton didn't get his 'stand-out' turnovers. Arguably he played the ref better than those around him, and after seeing BOD get pinged twice early on, decided it wasn't worth the risk of going for turnovers. Doesn't mean he was poor, in the same way Croft wasn't poor because he didn't score a wonder try.

I still think one of the other blindsides would do that grafting job better than Croft, but in the next game with a different referee and possibly some turnovers, Croft may have more opportunities to demonstrate that attacking threat. I honestly have no idea what I would do if I were Gatland.

Caught up with game courtesy of Youtube.......!! Ref was not very good and inconsistent and only way that I would say he did assist the Aus was his work at scrum time which was appalling but did this affect the result....do not think so! Rest was interpretation that Lions should have worked on before hand and got better!! The only players I feel that need to be looked at with regard to possible change are Cuthbert (although was his defensive positioning worse than North's) and Phillips (but did Youngs do much better?) and Vunipola. Note his performance has not been critiqued but I thought the scrum disintegrated from his side after his introduction rather than Coles? Overall, the aussies deserve great praise for dealing with lack of competitive rugby and the injuries and, on missed kicks, could be said to be unlucky but, apart from last 10, could not envisage Lions losing......Can the Lions play better? Yes, providing they are allowed to scrummage and play it a little tighter before they go wide.......game suits Aussies when it is loose.! EDIT....Croft seems to have attracted more than his fair share of criticism but I think this is more about wanting SOB from his supporters than from what happened on the pitch!!

Last edited:

Latest posts