• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Fitness Routine

• Thread starter lineens weegie army
  • Start date
L

lineens weegie army

Could anyone recomend some good exercises for developing core strength. Im currently trying to get fitter so I can start playing rugby in a few months, and perform better at other sports in participate in.

any ideas are welcome

Hmm bench press for chest and triceps, crunches for abs (hold a bar weight across your chest to make it harder), deadlift for back glutes and hams :) There's lots if you do a google.

Squats are good, but let me caution you...watch your form. DO NOT Let your knees pass over your toes. The action is sitting down...you should feel the strain in your ass and thighs, not in your knees. Skip the big weight for good form and higher reps.
I recomend using dumbells for all your upper body lifting (bench press, shoulder press, ect...). You might not be able to put up as much weight, but dumbells force you to develop stabilization muscles that doing these lifts with a barbell don't.
I would also suggest throwing in plyometric exercises like box jumps, and sprinting.

Even to this very day i love doing body weight squats. Even Arnie did them. He'd stand with one shoulder close to a wall pick one leg up in the air slightly and then drop into a one legged squat. Do 10 of those before switching onto the next leg. A few sets of those are awesome!

Sorry, that was just an additive to O'Ro's squat speech.

I have had very good results with squats with weight on the shoulders....usually i do a medium weight with high reps...this build up my thighs...then i do lunges for calfs..but i struggle to do my arm strength and core strength...whats some good core excercises?

Exrx.net is the only place i go to for developing training programs - it's very good.
It was the site i used to study for my personal training exams.

By Core Strength - what do you mean? As in the muscles behind your abdominals?

If that is what you meant, planks/bridges (both front and side) are some of the exercises that i would recommend...

But to improve your core if you get yourself a cheap swiss ball then you can improve your core at home and in the gym.
Try just sitting on the swiss ball and watching an episode of simpsons.
The stronger your core gets try and lift your feet off the floor and balance there. Just keep working at trying to balance without your feet on the floor. When you're confident enough try kneeling on the swiss ball. And after that try standing on it.
Look at jonah lomu, that guy was strong but the fact that he had such a strong core was key to his attack. He could stand on a swiss ball holding some big ass dumbbells in each hand and would squat over and over again.
I can squat on the ball, but forget about using weights, it's hard enough as it is.

While you're in the gym instead of doing, for example, a dumbbell press for your chest on the bench try doing it on a swiss ball. Obviously lighten the weight first. When you're confident at that weight try (but don't put your self in danger) lifting one leg up off the ground while you're doing the presses.

You're core is usually something that's greatly ignored and is something that can be easily improved upon, but is one of the most difficult things to master. But once you get a solid core you will be as sturdy as a healthy tree - that i guarantee you. Just look at all martial arts. It's all about your core.

Also, do as many of your exercises as you can standing. It makes you use a lot more stabilizers. Do as many of your exercises with free weights as possible. Leave the machines for the bodybuilders.

Front squats (abs), overhead squats (core) and one-hand DB shoulderpress (obliques). You might want to try looking into old-time strongman stuff, like the bent press etc.: http://weightlifting.moonfruit.com/# as well.

Push ups are good too, if you maintain good form, i.e., think of having a straight line from the ankles thorugh the hips and shoulders (like a plank, but with pressing).

By core do you mean your 'core stability' eg: the stability(strength) of joints in the torso or are you using the definition to mean basic strength?

If the former then as mentioned the following exercises will dramatically increase your core strength:

Variety of planks, bridges, pelvic tilts, reciprocal reaches and exercise ball work. It depends on your current ability as to where to start but for a beginner aim for something like 3x 30 second plank, 3 x supine (lying on your back) bridge/pelvic tilts, 3 x 15 crunch on swiss ball and the same for back extensions. do 2 x 15 second side planks by using your elbow on the floor.

With all these things get instruction or at least check a good online site with diagrams like this one: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/Arti...p?Articleid=486

If you are talking about base strength then as others have metnioned compound weight exercises (those that use several large muscles groups) like deadlifts and squats are excellent. Again get instruction from someone at your gym before doing these.

'm a personal trainer/strength, conditioning coach and would always recommend you get proper instruction before doing any of these things if you're a newbie. Doing core exercises badly will just exacerbate your problems and waste your time.

Buy a medicine ball and look through websites like this one:

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/medic...-exercises.html

And of course anyone can google "medicine ball exercises" and find what they need. I like doing russian twists with my home made medicine ball. Ever since the first olympic games man has been using medicine balls in one form or another for explosive strength and core building, be they animal bladders filled with sand ala 2000+ years ago or the modern weight core, rubber medicine balls of today.

Hill runing will send your core and leg strength through the roof i can assure you that

I've been using this manual to help guide my training. I had it recommended to me by several members of my club, and I can say that the results have been phenomenal. My game has improved considerably. I've gone from being one of the absolute rookie players, to being a reliable (and fit) force on the field.

The best part about the manual, is that it was designed purely for rugby, and covers a huge range of exercise for your entire body. Add to that a nice meal planner and you're pretty much set.

Take a look:

http://www.rugbycanada.ca/content_files/Ma...aster_Rugby.pdf

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (markthenerd @ Aug 14 2008, 06:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I've been using this manual to help guide my training. I had it recommended to me by several members of my club, and I can say that the results have been phenomenal. My game has improved considerably. I've gone from being one of the absolute rookie players, to being a reliable (and fit) force on the field.

The best part about the manual, is that it was designed purely for rugby, and covers a huge range of exercise for your entire body. Add to that a nice meal planner and you're pretty much set.

Take a look:

http://www.rugbycanada.ca/content_files/Ma...aster_Rugby.pdf[/b]

Thanks about manual.
But I can not figure out how I need do workout day. Example I do workout 1 in Monday, workout 2 in wednesday etc.. Or I need do all three workouts in one day? Thanks
Sorry about my language skills :rolleyes:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kaspars @ Aug 29 2008, 03:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (markthenerd @ Aug 14 2008, 06:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Take a look:

http://www.rugbycanada.ca/content_files/Ma...aster_Rugby.pdf[/b]

Thanks about manual.
But I can not figure out how I need do workout day. Example I do workout 1 in Monday, workout 2 in wednesday etc.. Or I need do all three workouts in one day? Thanks
Sorry about my language skills :rolleyes:
[/b][/quote]
Firstly, that's a great manual. Thanks for posting it up.

To address Kaspars, your first guess is correct. Do workout 1 on Monday, workout 2 on Wednesday, workout 3 on Friday. DO NOT DO ALL 3 IN ONE DAY.
Make sure you follow the advice of rest. Rest is an important phase in strength development.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Canadian_Rugger @ Sep 8 2008, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I am in the military and a sweet way to get in shape is to do crossfit. I swear by the **** ... I used it both for rugby training and to train for my job. here is a site with program tips, exercise demos and a 9 week program to get you started. This **** is awesome and it will get you fit.

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/land_force_do...s/acim/acim.swf[/b]
HOLY CRAP! Canadia has an Army!
America is dooooooomed!

Latest posts