• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Flanker

R

RobB

Hi, i'm an openside flanker looking for any tips or pieces of advice anyone can give me in order to improve my game, weather it be technical roles, training or general stratergies for performing or preparing more efficiently for games, im in a colts team and will soon be moving up into the seniors and any help or advice would be much appreciated.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Oct 22 2008, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hi, i'm an openside flanker looking for any tips or pieces of advice anyone can give me in order to improve my game, weather it be technical roles, training or general stratergies for performing or preparing more efficiently for games, im in a colts team and will soon be moving up into the seniors and any help or advice would be much appreciated.[/b]

Get very fit, follow the ball around and be as close to it as you possibly can for the entire game; that means takling a lot and getting back on your feet and grabbing the ball; or following your teammates and making sure you get it recycled quickly.

Or, you can do what I did and play blindside, for which you need to be good at tackling, cheating and fighting. Much simpler.

EDIT

i reread your post and sorry my advice was for someone just starting out. I'd still reccommend getting as fit as you possibly can though. 7 ought to be the fittest player in the side. And do sprint work as well.

Do you jump in the line out I think its always good to have a back row player who can jump. Also getting to your feet as quick as you can after making tackles, and generaly playing as close to the edge of the laws as you can if you watch someone like Ritchie McCaw or Neil Back in his prime they are generaly slowing the ball up somehow but the trick is not getting caught (not sure how to achive this tho as Im always getting caught and giving penaltys away). Hope this Helps.

learn the backs set piece moves so that you know where to run and dont have to do more than you have to - read the game well and you can save little bits of energy through out.

on opposition scrums, keep high (full arm bind though, refs will pick you up alot about this!) keep an eye on where the ball is and aim for the 10, cut him off and the rest of the backs cant do anything

The best openside flankers offer a ball carrying option when attacking, and are an ever present thorn in the side of the opposition attack. As discussed above, make sure you are quick and fit to allow you to always be one of the first to the breakdown, and just learn to make a nuisance of yourself when you get there - legally slowing down what would have been fast ball for the opposition is one of the greatest services you can do for your defensive line.

You don't need to tackle hard (although it helps), but you should always get your man down, and if possible be back on your feet to contest the ball (this is where the fitness really pays off as the game wears on). Strength training obviously pays off, but the real focus is on fitness, speed, and technical ability - learning exactly how to slow down and contest the ball legally.

Reading of the game, as also mentioned above, is crucial. Knowing where your backs intend to attack will let you be there to make sure they get the ball back rapidly in the contact area, and prevent easy turnovers. You also need to position yourself correctly on defence to make sure you can drift across the line to cover tackles and get to the contact area, but not drift so quickly that you expose your inside shoulder to switches etc.

A good openside can really make a team, so good luck with it!

Well this information is great thanks and i do jump in the lineout as i'm not the heaviest of players! i'm 18 years old and was wondering what kind of weight would be desirable for someone of my age playing openside i am round about 12 stone now and i'm about 6ft 1.

Personaly unless you are aiming to play at the highest level I dont think weight comes into it to much as long as you have good technique. At the club I play at our openside is prob around 13/14 stone but I have seen him take down and turnover the biggest players because of his technique. Training in the Gym is always good but your still young so see how you feel when you play your first few senior games If you feel like you are being knocked around and are to lightweight then hit the weights.

Latest posts