• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Flemings 106 - best ODI innings I have ever seen..

N

NZL Fan

I thought I'd seen it all, but Flemings 106 yesterday would have to rate as the best I have ever seen (and I've seen a few in my time!!).

I was still sitting stunned after the game had ended.

His 100 came of 54 balls (his first 50 off around 30 odd).

I think he faced 13 balls from Murili in total and hit him alone for 7 sixes and 2 fours. he also hit Warne and Vaas for one six apiece to record 9 sixes and 10 fours in his 100.

Murili in his first 2 overs was hit for 6 sixes and 2 fours, including 2 sixes off the first two balls he bowled in the game.

All the hits were clean - most clearing the boundary by some margin........Warne admited after the game that it was the best hitting he had seen in his entire career.

Reminded many of Astles world record fastest 200 on the same ground.........

Outstanding innings - best i've ever seen flem hit the ball. It also reminded me of Astle's innings, how even miscues went for 4. Too bad it wasn't an official ODI - why did they give the ASIA v ROW that class?

If shane warne said its the best hitting hes ever seen then we may as well believe him

From xtra.co.nz.........

"Sri Lankan spinner Muttiah Muralitharan has had a match to forget, going for 57 runs from his 3.1 overs"
<

How good was Warne's last delivery! The guy's a true legend of the game. Fleming's innings was alright but Warne was all class. He was more deserving of man of the match IMO.

Typical aussie response. Fleming played 'alright'?

Warne said after the game in his 15 years of top cricket he hadn't seen a better innings. And i quote ""In 15 years of playing international and first class cricket I don't think I've seen anyone hit the ball like that," Warne said." If somebody can get MOTM for 1-26 off 3 overs i'll go he.

From what I saw warne was getting punished...? You don't get MOTM for one good delivery. Thats the quickest hundred in a long time. Come on, match an Aussie performance with it then

You got that right NZL fan. Well, almost. It wasn't a ODI, not counted by the ICC as an official international. Still, the best one day innings ever.

It would almost rate higher than astles 222 because he did it right from the start - astle started at 100

Fleming had a good day with the bat. What more can I say? It wasn't under the pressure of a real ODI. Could he do the same thing against us? I doubt he'd get close even against Bangladesh. Face it, the New Zealand team are nothing more than a bunch mediocre misfits. Bringing Jeff Wilson back proves this!

Joking. Great innings, I've never seen anyone other Steve Waugh or Gilly bat at that level.

Originally posted by umosay@Jan 23 2005, 10:50 AM
Too bad it wasn't an official ODI - why did they give the ASIA v ROW that class?
If you look at the players involved in the FICA world XI compared to the Asia and ROW team its easy to see why.

While Flemmings Innings was great, look at the bowling attack he faced and dont give me the two best spinners in the world crap, they were bowling inside the first 10 overs. And the significance of the knock was miniscule as they were only chasing 159 so NZ would have won anyway so Flemming could afford to be reckless.

Best hundred ive seen was by Sehwag against New Zealand in Sri Lanka i think for a tri series. The Indians were chasing 261 and the winner of this game went through to the final against Sri Lanka. Previously in the series no one had chased more than 200 and the highest score had been in the 230s (i cant remember the little details precisely) in either innings.
Sehwag came out blasting and made 100 off 69 balls (then going out the next ball) and put India in a great position to beat us. Which they did!

Originally posted by umosay@Jan 23 2005, 05:09 PM
Vaas aint a bad ODI bowler man, neither is Streak...
Vaas is passed it and when was the last time Streak played?
Most of them are a bunch of has beens.
This should be evident from the fact that Australia, West Indies, Pakistan, South Africa, England and India didnt release any of their players from there currrent squad because of prior commitments (although im not sure why the Indians didnt come).

Why would they release players when they are already playing?

Can't wait till Aussie get here either way, you shouldn't be dissing the Black Caps as such because they smashed an 'understrength' team... Isn't a better warm up that playing state cricket?

Originally posted by umosay@Jan 23 2005, 10:25 PM
Why would they release players when they are already playing?
So therefore all the players that we are playing are not good enough to make their home nation 1st XI (except Sri Lankans). Thanks for proving my point.

When at all was I dissing? I was merely pointing out that it was not an amazing feat in my opinion.

Also it has nothing on Astles Test 222.

Originally posted by Serge+Jan 23 2005, 04:00 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Serge @ Jan 23 2005, 04:00 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-umosay
@Jan 23 2005, 10:50 AM
Too bad it wasn't an official ODI - why did they give the ASIA v ROW that class?
If you look at the players involved in the FICA world XI compared to the Asia and ROW team its easy to see why.

While Flemmings Innings was great, look at the bowling attack he faced and dont give me the two best spinners in the world crap, they were bowling inside the first 10 overs. And the significance of the knock was miniscule as they were only chasing 159 so NZ would have won anyway so Flemming could afford to be reckless.

Best hundred ive seen was by Sehwag against New Zealand in Sri Lanka i think for a tri series. The Indians were chasing 261 and the winner of this game went through to the final against Sri Lanka. Previously in the series no one had chased more than 200 and the highest score had been in the 230s (i cant remember the little details precisely) in either innings.
Sehwag came out blasting and made 100 off 69 balls (then going out the next ball) and put India in a great position to beat us. Which they did! [/b]
Hate to punch holes in your theory.... but I will anyhow
<
(as is my nature)

The bowling attack contained Vaas (who recently, if not currently) was ranked no.1 on the ICC one day ratings, and the two greatest spinners ever to play the game.

The reason the spinners had to come on earlier then normal was all due to the superb batting of Fleming.......

Doesn't matter if its the 14th over, or the 16th over. If the ball is regularly going over the fence it doesn't matter where you place your fielders......

As for this innings of Sehwags that you reckon is the best ever, lets delve a bit deeper.........

The pitch that game was played on was a flat tracker, with only 10 wickets falling during the whole match, and India using 7 different bowlers and NZL 8.

All the pace men except for Nehra were punished that day. So dead was it for the pace men that NZLs three strike bowlers (Mills, Tuffey, Nash) only bowled 13 overs between them.....Astle also got a century, punishing Khan for 59 off his 9 overs.

Main bowlers used by NZL that day were McMillian (8.4 overs - 2 for 49), Harris and an out of form Vettori - Hardly a world class bowling outfit.......

McMillian eventually bowled Sehwag. 19 fours he scored, but only one 6.

A good innings, yes - but I can think of at least a dozen better ones over the years............and hardly comparable to Fleming smacking Murili for 7 sixes and 2 fours..........

Originally posted by NZL fan@Jan 24 2005, 08:32 AM
Hate to punch holes in your theory.... but I will anyhow
<
(as is my nature)

The bowling attack contained Vaas (who recently, if not currently) was ranked no.1 on the ICC one day ratings, and the two greatest spinners ever to play the game.

The reason the spinners had to come on earlier then normal was all due to the superb batting of Fleming.......

Doesn't matter if its the 14th over, or the 16th over. If the ball is regularly going over the fence it doesn't matter where you place your fielders......

As for this innings of Sehwags that you reckon is the best ever, lets delve a bit deeper.........

The pitch that game was played on was a flat tracker, with only 10 wickets falling during the whole match, and India using 7 different bowlers and NZL 8.

All the pace men except for Nehra were punished that day. So dead was it for the pace men that NZLs three strike bowlers (Mills, Tuffey, Nash) only bowled 13 overs between them.....Astle also got a century, punishing Khan for 59 off his 9 overs.

Main bowlers used by NZL that day were McMillian (8.4 overs - 2 for 49), Harris and an out of form Vettori - Hardly a world class bowling outfit.......

McMillian eventually bowled Sehwag. 19 fours he scored, but only one 6.

A good innings, yes - but I can think of at least a dozen better ones over the years............and hardly comparable to Fleming smacking Murili for 7 sixes and 2 fours..........
i dont know how to quote things individually so ill just answer what i can in a mass.

The reason the spinners had to come on early was partially that Flemming was batting well but mainly due to defending a low total so they had to try things early after there wasnt an initial breakthrough. If they were defending 250+ i guarentee the spinners wouldnt have been on that early.

I don't know about Vaas being rated number one ODI bowler but if he is there is something wrong with the ranking system.

Your comment about the fielding restrictions not mattering because he hit sixes.
The fact that the field was up allowed Flemming to loft the ball with confidence down the ground as he knew if he didnt get it he would be safe anyway.

I said Sehwags hundred was the best i had ever seen dope.
I mean if i saw Afridis 37 ball century or Jayasarias 38 ball hundred we would be talking about different things. Innings arent just good because of how many sixes and fours you hit, the value of the innings is very important

Originally posted by Wally@Jan 23 2005, 09:34 PM
Why didn't Bichel play? He would have knocked your black caps off.
Well he played in the 2nd, bowled well but was a tad expensive

Latest posts