• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Fly Half guidance

Douggie

Academy Player
Hello. This coming season I'm going to be starting at 10 - I've played there before but not for a run of games. I'm back in training a week on Tues but some advice prior to that would be good.

The main thing I'm a bit unsure on is when to ask the forwards to carry the ball, when to run out the back of them, when to ask for it straight off the scrum half and have the forwards running off me, particularly towards the middle of the pitch when we aren't looking to kick straight away. I really like to get my hands on the ball so I'm more likely to call for it too often if I'm not sure what the boundaries are.

Also - for those who do play - what do you want from the fly half on your team? I'm generally a centre so what I want is different to what a forward will want.

Thanks v much.

Hi Douggie

I would suggest the main thing is to be confident with the plays you call, whether they are right or not. If you are confident your team will run them.

There are many things to consider so its a bit difficult to give specific answers as every situation is different.

Like in the middle of the pitch you may want to run the ball but if the wingers/fullback are out of position it may be a better option to kick. I think the best way is to se scenarios with your coaches and go through each one with what they would like.

Run your patterns and have patience with it. Remember you don't have to score of first phase.

I'm sure your coach will put a pattern in place. When you are receiving the ball you should almost always have a pod of forwards outside you with the option of throwing a screen pass behind or a flat pass in front of them to your 12 or 13, just like you should be a screen option for 9 behind a pod outside him. The formation varies depending on the system.

10 is the general and you have to make all those decisions you mention in the second paragraph as you see fit in the moment. As for the rest of the team, just communicate well and let them know exactly what you want and they can't complain.

Latest posts