• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Football Thread

After seeing the half time score I watched the last quarter of England women's latest turkey shoot World Cup qualifier against Latvia.

Made the recent men's game against San Marino look like a real nail biter.

20 - 0. Total mismatch in skill, fitness, size, everything.

After seeing the half time score I watched the last quarter of England women's latest turkey shoot World Cup qualifier against Latvia.

Made the recent men's game against San Marino look like a real nail biter.

20 - 0. Total mismatch in skill, fitness, size, everything.
Euro quali should definitely be tiered, obviously in both the male and female game. CONCACAF already do it and Europe has just as many mismatches if not more.

It could easily make quali for Ireland more difficult but world cup qualification is so unengaging apart from teams who have a chance of qualifying but aren't coasting.

Edit: Ireland beat Georgia 11-0... Jaysus, don't think we've ever qualified for a tournament either.

Last edited:
Thanks West Ham.

Now for Liverpool not to slip up at Wolves.

All the top players in any sport need that ' little bit of arrogance ' it's basically a confidence thing... but that bloke goes completely over the top with his very pompous/arrogant attitude, no need for that sort of rubbish.

All the top players in any sport need that ' little bit of arrogance ' it's basically a confidence thing... but that bloke goes completely over the top with his very pompous/arrogant attitude, no need for that sort of rubbish.
I think you need to look into him a bit more. Family man, does great work for charity, often has time for younger fans, a good teammate by all accounts.

Good looking and vain and likes the celebrity lifestyle but he hardly abuses it. I think if you look at guys like Keane and Scholes opinion of him it's hard to come to that conclusion, they'd have no time for extreme levels of arrogance.

Both Messi and Ronaldo easily the best I have seen in my lifetime. Yeh, not a huge fan of the brand Ronaldo, but would still get in my all time XI.

I think you need to look into him a bit more. Family man, does great work for charity, often has time for younger fans, a good teammate by all accounts.

Good looking and vain and likes the celebrity lifestyle but he hardly abuses it. I think if you look at guys like Keane and Scholes opinion of him it's hard to come to that conclusion, they'd have no time for extreme levels of arrogance.
Plenty of players are good family men & do great work for charity etc... but when playing he clearly comes across as egotistical, which makes any player in any sport look like a bit of an idiot.

Plenty of players are good family men & do great work for charity etc... but when playing he clearly comes across as egotistical, which makes any player in any sport look like a bit of an idiot.
Ok, you're entitled to your opinion. I don't think it's close to correct personally but equally I honestly can't see where you're coming from and he's probably the player I've watched the most in my life so it's not really worth continuing.

Just don't like skites... Pele, arguably the best striker ever never acted like a tool on the field.

Weird article to bring all that up on, seeing as he's doing the exact opposite in it

Weird article to bring all that up on, seeing as he's doing the exact opposite in it
The article is based on Ronaldo, just giving opinion on him when playing in matches... I'm not the only one that has that opinion about the bloke.

What do you blokes think about defences not adjusting enough from zone marking to man-to-man marking when defending in their danger zones in or just outside the box ?

What do you blokes think about defences not adjusting enough from zone marking to man-to-man marking when defending in their danger zones in or just outside the box ?
I don't think defenders have what it takes to stick to elite forwards these days, guys like Salah and Mbappe would happily drag them out of position and only need an extra half metre of space to create opportunities.

And with most teams employing some sort of high press these days it'd make a taxing gameplan impossibly heavy.

I am hoping there's a shift in the dynamics of the game before long, I don't think football in its current state is the most entertaining it's ever been.

I don't think defenders have what it takes to stick to elite forwards these days, guys like Salah and Mbappe would happily drag them out of position and only need an extra half metre of space to create opportunities.

And with most teams employing some sort of high press these days it'd make a taxing gameplan impossibly heavy.

I am hoping there's a shift in the dynamics of the game before long, I don't think football in its current state is the most entertaining it's ever been.
Defenders should have decent pace to stick to strikers... as long as they stay on the balls of their feet so they can move quickly in any direction.

Can understand it's going to be very difficult in defence to switch from Zone to Man-To-Man if the opposition make a fast break... but there are also plenty of times teams do have the time to change their defending pattern... just can't afford to give strikers a metre or so of space to run free in your box.

Soccer/Football like rugby is too defensive minded, so both sports are not that entertaining these days... in the early 70's teams use to be too attacking minded, having 5 strikers up front, it's about getting the balance right.

Latest posts