• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Football Transfer news

credit :bbc.co.uk

Liverpool set for Gerrard talks

Gerrard could stay after Euro win
Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry is to hold contract talks with Steven Gerrard "in the very near future".
The Reds captain has two years left on his current deal and the club are keen to extend his contract and end the speculation over his future.

The 25-year-old midfielder has been linked with Chelsea and Real Madrid.

"We're not going to put a timescale on talks but, like Steve, we would like the situation resolved sooner rather than later," said Parry.

Gerrard helped Liverpool win the Champions League in May and has already stated he is hopeful of sorting out his future before the new season begins.

He said he would be holding talks at the end of June and beginning of July.

"The ball is in Liverpool's court now. I'm ready to talk and am waiting for them to give me the nod," the England midfielder said recently.

The European Cup has gone now - we've got to be just as hungry

Steven Gerrard

There has been plenty of speculation surrounding the midfielder but he has insisted he would like to stay at Anfield.

"Of course, yes, I've still got two years left. We haven't spoken about a new contract yet and I don't know how long those talks will go on for," he said.

"But the sooner they start the better because I want my future sorted before the start of the season."

Gerrard insisted he was unconcerned about having to start the new season early after Uefa put Liverpool in to the first qualifying round of the Champions League - despite finishing fifth in the Premiership, outside the automatic qualification places.

"It is very important for the champions to defend the trophy. I'm looking forward to a long season ahead," he said.

You can't replace Gerrard, unless it's Lampard but let's be realistic

"We can't complain about being in the first round because the rules stated we shouldn't be in it.

"The European Cup has gone now. We've got to be just as hungry. We won the big one but it is important we forget about that and move on and try to do better in the Premiership."

The early start to Gerrard's season - he could be in action as early as 12 July - means he could be in action for almost one year if England qualify and do well in the World Cup.

But he brushed aside fears he may be tired, saying: "People think I'll be drained but I'll look after myself."

news also suggests that wenger is interested in snapping up reina from villarreal under the noses of liverpool, i think if benitez can bring his tactical knowledge more adequatley to the premiership next season then liverpool are going to be a force in the premiership.

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC@Jun 16 2005, 08:25 PM
Couldn't care less whether Gerrard stayed or went to be perfectly honest.
What?!?!
<

You can't be a true Liverpool fan. Gerrard is god-like.

He was **** poor for 95% of last season, and I'm a season ticket holder.

Only tries hard in the big games. I'd rather him stay but so much do I DISlike him I'd be happy to sell him and replace him with Essien or Baraja.

Crouch is coming to spurs now anyway, hope to see some improvements in his game though it he's to replace Kanoute.

Wayne Routledge also hopping on the bandwagon along with Aaron Lennon and theres a few rumours revolving around Figo and D'Allesandro but I doubt we'll get either of them, let alone both of them.

d'allessandro is a prodigy - he is the latest argentinian to be billed the new maradona, he is very versatile,but is main position is an attacking midfielder, that would be a really good buy for spurs,but unfortunately many argentinians find it hard to adapt to the english game
veron
crespo
figeuroa

to name a few

Originally posted by Hypnotised@Jun 19 2005, 05:45 AM
Crouch is coming to spurs now anyway, hope to see some improvements in his game though it he's to replace Kanoute.

Wayne Routledge also hopping on the bandwagon along with Aaron Lennon and theres a few rumours revolving around Figo and D'Allesandro but I doubt we'll get either of them, let alone both of them.
Unless we make a bid for either Crouch or Figo, because they'd sign for us.

You're welcome to Figo.

Well to be honest I would prefer Figo over Crouch anyway, seeing as

A. I rate Figo higher

B. We don't need more strikers, and Figo fits the bill for what we do need, an attacking midfielder/wing.

But besides that, the Evidence suggests Crouch will come to Spurs, but I guess you've already seen this and assume Liverpool will make a big bid for him and succeed, which is entirely possible.

Don't know if Figo has the legs for the premiership, maybe a move to Italy would prolong his career.

Juve look set to sign Patrick Vieira tomorow after having a â'¬20 million bid accepted from Arsenal. Seems a strange move to me, didn't think Wenger would be so keen on losing his skipper.

Originally posted by Arsenal FC
Arsenal Football Club can confirm that terms have been agreed for the transfer of Patrick Vieira to Juventus for a total fee of 20 million Euro.

At this stage, Patrick is now finalising his personal terms and conditions with Juventus.

The Club would like to take this opportunity to recognise the enormous contribution Patrick has made to Arsenal since he joined as Arsène Wenger's first signing in 1996. During his time at the Club, Patrick made over 400 first team appearances, with three years as Captain and was instrumental in the Club winning three Premiership ***les and the FA Cup on four occasions.

Also during his time at Arsenal, Patrick enjoyed great success with the French national team, by winning the World Cup in 1998 and the European Championships in 2000. He also became the Captain of France and made a total of 79 caps for France as an Arsenal player.

Everyone at Arsenal Football Club wish Patrick the best of luck for the future.

Speaking to Arsenal.com, Manager Arsène Wenger said: “I share the sadness with our supporters that Patrick has left us, but on the other hand I would say to them trust us and support us. We’ll be strong next season and we need you behind us like you have always been. We will not disappoint you.

"Patrick was a great player for us, one of the greatest in the Club’s history and I feel I had a special relationship with him because I made him come here. I think his impact, not only at Arsenal but in English football overall was just tremendous.

"The sad thing is that he leaves us, but the good thing is that he leaves us on a high. His last kick for the Club was symbolic as it won us the FA Cup.

"Patrick will always be special for Arsenal Football Club, always in our hearts and our minds. All I can do is thank him for all he gave to the Club and wish him well in his career."

Patrick Vieira added: “When you spend nine years at the Club, like I did, it is a difficult decision to leave. But in the end you have to make a choice for your future. It was a very difficult decision, but I am happy with it.

"I made the decision to leave because I felt it was time for me to have a new challenge. But that does not mean I was unhappy or that I was having a problem at Arsenal.

"It was just that I had the feeling I needed to grow and meet a new challenge, and I feel Juventus was the best challenge for me.

"I‘d like to thank the Arsenal fans. They have been fabulous. Even recently in the street they were saying ‘if you are going, then thanks for the last nine years’. That is really touching and it makes me feel that I gave my best for the Club.

"I can go with my head held high. I did my best every day in training and in every match, and I left shaking the hand of Arsène Wenger and Mr Dein. That was really important to me."

Originally posted by An Tarbh@Jul 14 2005, 07:56 PM
didn't think Wenger would be so keen on losing his skipper.
With Fabregas and Flamini he'd have been out of a job in 1 or 2 years, best to cash in on him.

they're not exactly in the mould of Vieira, they'll still need someone who can provide that hard edge in the middle of the park especially since Edu is already gone.

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC@Jul 13 2005, 08:40 AM
Well, it seems like we're set to sign Crouch.
Looks like it, doesn't bother me to be honest. Spurs are linked with a new player everyday, I'm getting used to having hopes raised and shattered by now. Not that Crouch really supplied that.

Arsenal might (hopefully) fall from grace a bit with the los of Viera but probably not, knowing the Scum they'll have someone lined up to fill that role.

Wenger isn't stupid. Both Flamini and particularly Fabregas have the potential to be better than Vieira in his prime, but they aren't quite ready yet, someone will be lined up.

I'd rather us resign Owen than Crouch but I think he's a reasonable footballer and a good goalscorer.

Wright-Phillips has finally gone to Chelski for 21m. Apparently City are now in the hunt for Crouch, as well as being poised to sign Andy Cole on a free transfer.

If we want to sign him we'll sign him. If we don't then you will. However, losing SWP is a massive blow for City, although there's always Kiki Musampa!

Lyon seem to be upping the ante with Chelsea, asking for â'¬45 million after being offered â'¬37.5 million for Essien. Quality player but not sure if he's worth that much.

Would be novel for Benitez to sign an English player considering all the La Liga imports he's brought to Liberpool.

I'd rather us up the ante and ask Michael Owen what he's doing this season. Supposedly Baros is finished at Liverpool so we'll be looking for two strikers; Crouch and hopefully Owen.

Essien and Russia: I think Essien is a top footballer. If Steven overrated Gerrard is worth £35 million then so is Essien. Very much so.

Latest posts