• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

For the abolition of bonus points

sigesige00

Bench Player
Now there is "bonus point" in RU league competitions.
Getting 4 tries means 1 bonus point, and defeat by less than 7 means 1 bonus point.
But I think that this is a very bad system.
Look at the 2011 World Cup Pool D. The last game was Wales vs. Fiji. RSA's 1st finish had already been decided. Wales needed only 1 point to finish 2nd. And Wales got 1 point by 4 tries in the 1st half. That actually meant the end of the game in the 1st half.
Bonus point makes such a situation.
There is no need for bonus point, since there is point difference. There is no bonus point in 6-Nations.

Please stop it now, why not send these "ideas" to the IRB instead of boring us to tears

This is another shite idea.

Really shite.

Again I feel stupider for having read it.

Watch out, read anymore and you might become as thick as the TOWIE cast and thats not worth thinking of (ironic since they cant think)

I hate bonus points personally. I hope the IRB stops using them in world cups soon. I really don't see how they help the game at all, apart from keeping it alive in NZ and Australia (who came up with the idea). There's no need for it in the rest of the world as far as i'm concerned.

And if we must persist with them, i'd prefer if wins, loses and draws were accounted first and then bonus points were implemented to determine the positions in case of a tie.

Last edited:
Apart from encourage attacking play to get that extra 1 point which may prove crucial in the league standings. Bonus points are good

I hate bonus points personally. I hope the IRB stops using them in world cups soon. I really don't see how they help the game at all, apart from keeping it alive in NZ and Australia (who came up with the idea). There's no need for it in the rest of the world as far as i'm concerned.

And if we must persist with them, i'd prefer if wins, loses and draws were accounted first and then bonus points were implemented to determine the positions in case of a tie.

It rewards attacking play..Attacking rugby is great.

Also I don't think that the Kiwis need that much of an incentive to keep the game alive in their nation

It rewards attacking play..Attacking rugby is great.

Also I don't think that the Kiwis need that much of an incentive to keep the game alive in their nation

Bonus points were brought in for "entertainment" for Murdoch's Sky/Fox Super rugby so they would get numbers up. They may have said it was for "attacking" rugby etc... but that's bull. It would never have been brought into rugby if the SANZAR nations hadn't had Super rugby.

You'd be surprised. The world cup was needed big time to keep rugby on a positive level in NZ.
NZ supporters are pretty picky imo. If their team isn't playing "attractive" and/or "winning" rugby they won't bother supporting them, well except for the national side of course, a lot like Wales in a way.
The NZRU hasn't helped NZ at all, from what i heard. Steve Tews scheme of "privatising" the Super rugby franchises is pathetic, basically he isn't privatising it, the investor gives his money to the NZRU and they say **** you back. They should either go full private or not, no wonder no one was interested and Owen Glenn a billionaire/millionaire life time Union supporter invested in the NZ Warriors because of that.

If rugby league keeps growing like it looks like it is, with another NRL team in the next few years, the world could be in for a bit of a shock! It probably won't overtake Union but they will start taking a lot of the youngsters in Auckland and Counties.

Last edited:

Latest posts