• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Form Team of the Comp

Caitlyn Jenner

Bench Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
Nearly done and dusted now, so probably a fair time to start making these sorts of lists... interested to see what others think, especially those from SA and Aus as there may be a bit of Kiwi bias in my selections... though I don't think it can be debated that NZ has dominated Super Rugby this year, which is reflected in my picks.

Form team of the comp IMO:
1. Van Royen - Been super solid.
2. Marx - Incredibly dynamic, has been immense all year.
3. Alaalatoa - Great break out season, a complete prop. Has been the standout player for the Brumbies.
4. Retallick - Incredible player, continues to be world class, he's had a massive season.
5. Whitelock - Led the best team in the comp from the front. Edges Mostert.
6. Kolisi - IMO he was the Stormers' most influential player and has been a standout this year.
7. Todd - The workhorse behind the Crusaders forward dominance. Breakdown work and work rate incredible.
8. Mafi - His stats don't lie... he's been a shining light in an otherwise abysmal Rebels side.
9. Perenara - Continues to be the form HB of super rugby, all round game has been fantastic.
10. Mo'unga - Missed a few rounds but has put in numeous complete performances and has been crucial to the 'Saders success. Just edges Barrett who has gone a bit quiet after a hot start.
11. Lowe - Most underrated player in NZ, continues to produce brilliant performances week in week out.
12. Laumape - Breakthrough player of the year, what a beast he's been. Consistently immense.
13. Kerevi - Captaincy seemed to be good for him, he really led that Reds side from the front. Shame about the injury.
14. Naholo - Despite missing a few games through injury he scored 9 tries and was a handful. Consistently high work-rate, quality performances in almost every game.
15. McKenzie - Unreal season. Has been the best player on the park in a good chunk of the matches he's played. Jordie Barrett and especially David Havili (Crusaders player of the year) were also great, but DMac has been something else this year. Whenever he touches the ball he makes something happen, and he has ALL the skills. Very underrated defender and great aerial work too.

Contenders for Super Rugby player of the year IMO:
- McKenzie
- Laumape
- Retallick
- Havili

Player of the year: IMO Dmac has been the best player in Super Rugby this year, with Laumape a pretty close 2nd. Definitely McKenzie though... he's had an outstanding season.

11. Lowe - Most underrated player in NZ, continues to produce brilliant performances week in week out.
dMac is going to be a great player one day, but right now , imo, its lowe that makes him look spectacular.
lowe is such a loss and shoulda made the ABs a few years ago.

d4m our great depth of the back 3

dMac is going to be a great player one day, but right now , imo, its lowe that makes him look spectacular.
lowe is such a loss and shoulda made the ABs a few years ago.

d4m our great depth of the back 3
Yea good point, I think that DMac and Lowe certainly complement each other and make each other look good. Lowe is definitely a massive loss for NZ rugby, he's been our form left winger for 3 years now.
As for DMac, I hope he soon develops into a Barrett-2015-type super sub, I reckon that role would suit him well.

Player of the year: IMO Dmac has been the best player in Super Rugby this year, with Laumape a pretty close 2nd. Definitely McKenzie though... he's had an outstanding season.
whitelock for me. has taken the captaincy this season and been a real hard nose with his decisions. what i like about his captaincy is a couple of times instead of kicking for goal right in front he's opted for a scrum. not enough captains do this. never relent
whitelock is more underrated than lowe i reckon

Mo'unga at 10 is a good pick, has controlled the game very well all season for the Crusaders
Yea, I think he's been excellent this season. The way he controls games and puts in complete performances reminds me of DC... I hope he gets an opportunity at the top level now that Cruden's off.

MO;

1 Thomas du Toit (Sharks) - hope to see him replace Beast for the Bokke and back up Kitshoff going forward (pun intended)
2 Malcolm Marx (Lions) - in the absence of Coles no other option really. Top try scorer for forwards
3 Charlie Faumuina (Blues) - I just love seeing a man his size make fly halves jealy with his play making never mind his core game
4 Eben Etzebeth (Stormers) - .. am I being bias? I just thought he edged Retallick in their encounters though TBF where he adds value is more visible.
5 Sam Whitelock (Crusaders) - .. no real standouts for me TBH.
6 Kwagga Smith (Lions) - has taken his chances with Whiteley out injured and been sensational
7 Jean Luc du Preez (Sharks) - his break out season
8 Amanaki Mafi (Rebels) - even more impressive given his team doesn't offer much else

9 TJ Perenara (Hurricanes) - don't like him but would pick him for my team if I could
10 Lionel Cronje (Kings) - carried an otherwise sub par Kings team but to more effect than Mafi
11 James Lowe (Chiefs) - leading the stats for wingers and I can't help remember how he and McKenzie tore us (Stormers) to pieces for the try of the tournament in Cape Town.
12 Ngane Laumape (Hurricanes) - can'r argue with the season he has had.
13 Vince Aso (Hurricanes) - may benefit from the caliber of player around him but he can't help that
14 Dillyn Lleyds - and not only for THAT pass though his best rugby was probably played at 15 in Marais' absence.. meh, my bias
15 Damian McKenzie (Chiefs) - player of the year and took me to a fantasy rugby ***le.

Hard to leave out a few players... especially a number of Crusaders as I can't say I followed them articularly closely.

MO;

1 Thomas du Toit (Sharks) - hope to see him replace Beast for the Bokke and back up Kitshoff going forward (pun intended)
2 Malcolm Marx (Lions) - in the absence of Coles no other option really. Top try scorer for forwards
3 Charlie Faumuina (Blues) - I just love seeing a man his size make fly halves jealy with his play making never mind his core game
4 Eben Etzebeth (Stormers) - .. am I being bias? I just thought he edged Retallick in their encounters though TBF where he adds value is more visible.
5 Sam Whitelock (Crusaders) - .. no real standouts for me TBH.
6 Kwagga Smith (Lions) - has taken his chances with Whiteley out injured and been sensational
7 Jean Luc du Preez (Sharks) - his break out season
8 Amanaki Mafi (Rebels) - even more impressive given his team doesn't offer much else

9 TJ Perenara (Hurricanes) - don't like him but would pick him for my team if I could
10 Lionel Cronje (Kings) - carried an otherwise sub par Kings team but to more effect than Mafi
11 James Lowe (Chiefs) - leading the stats for wingers and I can't help remember how he and McKenzie tore us (Stormers) to pieces for the try of the tournament in Cape Town.
12 Ngane Laumape (Hurricanes) - can'r argue with the season he has had.
13 Vince Aso (Hurricanes) - may benefit from the caliber of player around him but he can't help that
14 Dillyn Lleyds - and not only for THAT pass though his best rugby was probably played at 15 in Marais' absence.. meh, my bias
15 Damian McKenzie (Chiefs) - player of the year and took me to a fantasy rugby ***le.

Hard to leave out a few players... especially a number of Crusaders as I can't say I followed them articularly closely.
Solid side bro, while it's quite different from mine I find it hard to disagree with much of that... but I'd have to have Retallick in there and imo Mo'unga's performances this year have been a class above, but still, opinions opinions!
In hindsight I too would go for Kwagga at 6... he's been a revelation!
Also interesting that you have no Aussies, but again that's probably fair.

Solid side bro, while it's quite different from mine I find it hard to disagree with much of that... but I'd have to have Retallick in there and imo Mo'unga's performances this year have been a class above, but still, opinions opinions!
In hindsight I too would go for Kwagga at 6... he's been a revelation!
Also interesting that you have no Aussies, but again that's probably fair.
is mafi not an Aussie???

Havili I know had a good season as I had him in my fantasy draft side (him and Tamanivula). But I didn't follow them as such and will take your word on Mo'unga. I'll be watching him closely on the weekend. Have the Crusaders had a game this season where the forwards didn't gain ascendancy? Lions pack needs to front up because Jantjies goes all to pieces on the back foot.

Retallick vs Etzebeth I can fully apreciate diifering opinions. I don't necessarily feel Etzebeth is better even. They are very different and I just prefer Etzebeth. Nothing to do with the fact that he is a Cape Town Northern Suburberner and Stormers player whatsoever...

planetrugby.com also don't have oom for any Aussie;

Super Rugby: Team of the Year

15 Damian McKenzie (Chiefs): What a phenomenal season from McKenzie who showed that dynamite definitely comes in small packages. The 22-year-old made the most carries (242), metres (1669), beat the most defenders (80) and made the second-most clean breaks (35) of anyone in the competition. Meanwhile, Lions' full-back Andries Coetzee came second behind McKenzie for carries (201) and metres made (1404).

14 Dillyn Leyds (Stormers): Leyds made 24 clean breaks, 1093 metres and scored 9 tries in a stellar season for the versatile back. Who could forget that unbelievable offload he produced against the Chiefs out the back door to set up SP Marais' try? Rieko Ioane deserves a mention for his 10 tries and 26 clean breaks and for being a shining light in an otherwise disappointing Blues' season which earned him two starts for the All Blacks against the British and Irish Lions.

13 Jordie Barrett (Hurricanes): Despite playing most of the season at full-back, Barrett filled in at centre for Vince Aso during the play-offs. We just had to fit him in as he regularly stole the limelight from his older brother Beauden the season. Taking over the goal-kicking duties from his older brother, Barrett is fifth on the competition charts for most points with 135, including seven tries and he also made the most offloads of anyone with 33. Jack Goodhue (Crusaders) and Aso also deserve a mention.

12 Ngani Laumape (Hurricanes): Laumape is the competition's top try-scorer for the season with 15 and has firmly established himself as one of world rugby's most fearsome strike runners. He also laid on numerous tries for Vince Aso, who scored 14 (second-highest) and the understanding developed between the two was literally telepathic at times. Ryan Crotty (Crusaders) also deserves a mention.

11 James Lowe (Chiefs): Lowe tops the charts for clean breaks (40), is second for metres made (1355), third for offloads (31) and joint-third for tries (11). He will be sorely missed from Super Rugby as he heads off to Leinster. Meanwhile, South African duo Makazole Mapimpi (Kings) and Courtnall Skosan (Lions) showed they are devastating finishers, bagging 11 and nine tries respectively.

10 Richie Mo'unga (Crusaders): Mo'unga is sixth on the points-scorers' list with 133. But it was from open play he impressed the most. He has shown he has all the creativity and flair needed to spark a back-line as well as possessing tremendous pace, silky skills and an eye for a gap. Lionel Cronje (Kings) was instrumental to the Kings upsetting the odds this season.

9 TJ Perenara (Hurricanes): Perenara continues to enhance his reputation with many of the opinion that he should start ahead of Aaron Smith for the All Blacks. The nuggety scrum-half has an impressive skill-set and punches well above his weight, weighing in with more than his fair share of tackles and even steals. But most importantly, he is an inspirational leader, able to bring the best out of his team-mates. Ross Cronje (Lions) gets a mention.

8 Amanaki Mafi (Melbourne Rebels): The Japan internationaL made arguably the biggest impact of any debutant in this year's competition and was the standout performer in a struggling Rebels team. Mafi was superb with ball in hand and got his side over the gainline at will with some barnstorming runs. Eventually made the third most carries (196) in the competition and also finished tenth for metres gained (996). Nizaam Carr of the Stormers and the Kings' Andisa Ntsilaalso impressed.

7 Chris Cloete (Kings): Cloete was one of the Kings' stars during a memorable season for the Port Elizabeth-based side and his fine form has been rewarded after he signed a deal to join Munster later in the year. Cloete was particularly effective at the breakdowns, where he proved a real handful but he also caught the eye as a ball carrier and in defence. Beats out the Hurricanes' Ardie Savea and Stormers captain Siya Kolisi.

6 Jordan Taufua (Crusaders): This was a difficult choice as Jaco Kriel, who is actually an openside flank, also played well since moving to the other side of the scrum when Lions captain Warren Whiteley's season was ended by injury. But Taufua gets into our team after another impressive season with the champions. Put his body on the line in the tackle and was prepared to do the dirty work which allowed his more flashier team-mates to shine.

5 Sam Whitelock (Crusaders): Another one of the Crusaders unsung heroes, Whitelock's leadership was one of the standout features of his team's successful campaign. Whitelock shone when executing his core duties and was at the forefront of the champions' forward effort. His calming presence also proved invaluable when the Crusaders secured several come-from-behind victories. Comes in ahead of the Lions' Andries Ferreira.

4 Franco Mostert (Lions): The Springbok was superb throughout the Lions' campaign and was arguably their best player during the competition. Mostert was his team's go-to-man in the lineouts and finished second highest for balls won at the set-piece (60) during the tournament. Also did his bit in defence and finished ninth in that department with 148 tackles which is the most by any Lions player. Brodie Retallick also played well for the Chiefs.

3 Ruan Dreyer (Lions): The Lions strongman was rewarded with Bok colours during their series against France in June after numerous impressive showings in the scrums for the men from Johannesburg. The Lions' run to the final was largely due to the superb platform which their forwards set up for their exciting backs and Dreyer was one of his side's stars in that aspect.

2 Malcolm Marx (Lions): Another Springbok who played consistently well and who stole the show with his superb ball carrying ability. Similar to Bismarck du Plessis, in his approach to the game, Marx's form for the Lions has been transferred to Test level and he is currently the Springboks' first-choice hooker. Marx finished the season with 10 tries which puts him in joint fifth place for most tries scored in the tournament and his haul is the most for a forward in the competition. Edges out Codie Taylor of the Crusaders.

1 Jacques van Rooyan (Lions): Caught the eye at the coalface of the Lions' forward effort especially during the play-offs when he shone as a ball carrier. Eventually scored three tries during the campaign and also caught the eye as a strong scrummager throughought the tournament. Cheetahs youngster Ox Nche also impressed.

Sky sport have announced their nominees for NZ player of the year.....

A: McKenzie
B: Todd
C: Laumape
D: Retallick
E: Havili

They're exactly the same as mine, with the addition of Todd... so I agree with their choices.
McKenzie should win but there's a lot of fanfare for Todd right now and considering the Saders won I wouldn't be surprised if they gave it to him.

I was driving the other day and the news came on the radio. Then came some sports news and at the end of the sports news it just said something like.

"... and finally chiefs fullback Damien McKenzie has been named super rugby player of the year. That is it for sport"

it didn't say who named him or anything else... I've not seen any other news on it. Strange one. :D

I was driving the other day and the news came on the radio. Then came some sports news and at the end of the sports news it just said something like.

"... and finally chiefs fullback Damien McKenzie has been named super rugby player of the year. That is it for sport"

it didn't say who named him or anything else... I've not seen any other news on it. Strange one. :D

He was named player of the year by Super Rugby.

Their team of the season was a bit out of left field though. No Crusaders to be seen:

DGwRxtYU0AAIuqU.png

The thing with the Super Rugby team is that they base it purely on stats in order to be consistent and avoid bias etc... it's just to show who ran up the best numbers, they do it every year. So yea it's not a credible selection that someone's actually made, just a production of the most statistically successful players from the comp.
It is interesting to look at though for the purpose of seeing who had the best statistical influence on the comp..... Interesting that Dmac is their player of the year for the 2nd year in a row, just shows how consistently brilliant he has been and how much of an influence he has for the chiefs... doubt he'll be making the 3 peat though with the move to 10.

I think dmac is amazing and deserves it but the one thing in his favor that gives him a stats advantage is that he played every minute of all 17 chiefs games this season, and it was similar last year. Thats far above anyone else... There were a number of games this season that the chiefs would have dropped if not for dmac's individual performance.

The amazing thing is that last year he copped some flack about his defense, this year he has come out and arguably been the best defender of any back 3 player in the competition.

that selection reasoning is also maybe why Pulu has found his way into this team, without checking the stats I would say he prob got a lot of gametime compared to some of his rivals who generally performed better when you look at more than stats.

but the one thing in his favor that gives him a stats advantage is that he played every minute of all 17 chiefs games this season, and it was similar last year.
If you look at the stats system they use to pick the team, they actually take minutes played into account.
There were a number of games this season that the chiefs would have dropped if not for dmac's individual performance.
This! Just off the top of my head I can think of the Sunwolves game and the drawn Blues game where he was certainly the difference between the Chiefs losing or not.

Latest posts