• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Forward passing to oneself?

veux

Academy Player
Country Flag
Great Britain
In rugby I see a lot of players fumbling the ball, knocking it forward and before touching the ground regaining control of it again. Now, is there anything to stop me 'accidently' knocking the ball forwards over the oppositions defensive line, running through, and catching it again?

I suppose the question is, can I forward pass to myself?

In rugby I see a lot of players fumbling the ball, knocking it forward and before touching the ground regaining control of it again. Now, is there anything to stop me 'accidently' knocking the ball forwards over the oppositions defensive line, running through, and catching it again?

I suppose the question is, can I forward pass to myself?

Ahh i knew i guy who used to pull this trick. He was playing at flyhalf and would call a move where he was running diagonally infield, the inside centre would run a cut line inside him and the near side winger would run a cut line outside him. He would extend the ball out as if he was going to lay off to the winger, then snap the ball back as if he was going to flick it out the back door to the centre but he would instead throw the ball behind his back and up over his shoulder in a scooping motion, over the defensive line. He would then regather, beat the fullback one on one and score every time. He was a very skillful guy and it was beautiful to see executed flawlessly, normally everyone including the referee would be too awestruck to question it.
Then one of the opposing coaches must have gone home, researched it and complained. One weekend we turned up and the referees had received a directive to do with the IRB "throw forward" law. It stated that while you were allowed to reclaim control of a fumbled ball that had been dislodged, you were never allowed to throw the ball forward deliberately in any situation, even to yourself.
It was fun while it lasted. I guess you could still get away with it if you channeled your inner soccer player and really hammed it up to look like you knocked it loose accidentally.

As Ranger said, It's not allowed. You're allowed to regather a spilled ball, but not one you've intentionally thrown forward. This is similar to the rule that you're not allowed to knock on a ball then kick it before it hits the ground. If the ref deems that you los control of the ball instead of meaning to kick the ball in the first place then it's still deemed a knock-on.

I highly doubt you'll be able to conceal a ball being thwon over the defences heads as a knock-on, no matter how many oscar's you may have won.

As Ranger said, It's not allowed. You're allowed to regather a spilled ball, but not one you've intentionally thrown forward. This is similar to the rule that you're not allowed to knock on a ball then kick it before it hits the ground. If the ref deems that you los control of the ball instead of meaning to kick the ball in the first place then it's still deemed a knock-on.

I highly doubt you'll be able to conceal a ball being thwon over the defences heads as a knock-on, no matter how many oscar's you may have won.

Also, if you knock the ball forward, you cannot "undo" the the knock on by knocking it backwards before it hits the ground.

LAW 12: Knock-on or Throw Forward

DEFINITION: KNOCK-ON
A knock-on occurs when a player loses possession of the ball and it goes forward, or when a player hits the ball forward with the hand or arm, or when the ball hits the hand or arm and goes forward, and the ball touches the ground or another player before the original player can catch it.

‘Forward’ means towards the opposing team’s dead ball line.
Basically you have to "catch" the ball.

As for the original question by veux, here is the law regarding that one

Law 12.1
(e) Intentional knock or throw forward. A player must not intentionally knock the ball forward
with hand or arm, nor throw forward
Sanction: Penalty kick.
However, there is nothing to stop you from throwing a legitimate pass to yourself, so long as it is not forward.

NOTE: Remember that a forward throw is NOT judged by comparing where the ball is thrown from and where it was caught. The forward momentum of the player carrying the ball is also allowed for.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about the Islanders who run at you with the ball, then pass it to you and then procede to smash you? Happens in Auckland, my mate told me. Is a deliberate throw-forward a penalty?

What about the Islanders who run at you with the ball, then pass it to you and then procede to smash you? Happens in Auckland, my mate told me. Is a deliberate throw-forward a penalty?

Yep. As posted in my previous post.... Law 12.1 (e)

That would be a pretty tough call to make unless the ball actually hits the ground IMO.

Hahaha good old Jaco "It was a drop!"

Latest posts