• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Four in frame for Lions captaincy

C

Cymro

Lions coach Ian McGeechan insists there are "still three or four names" in the frame to lead the squad on their tour of South Africa this summer.

Most pundits believe it is a straight choice between Ireland duo Brian O'Driscoll and Paul O'Connell.

"The captain has got to have a strong character, the respect of others and be able to pull things together quickly.

"He's got to give off the right tone, and be able to deal with tricky situations," McGeechan said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/7967053.stm

Can't think who the other 2 would be. I'm guessing it'd be someone like Ryan Jones, Mike Blair and Steve Borthwick.

can see how Jones may be an outside possibility but only really in the event of an injury to both Irish players should he come into the frame, as for Borthwick and Blair you can make a pretty strong case that both may not even tour, given that both Irish and Welsh starting locks along with Hines, Kennedy and Shaw should be ahead of Borthwick in the pecking order, as for Blair he may have been in most people's test team after the Autumn but he's fallen back as well, who could well find himself behind both English scrum halves (god help us if Ellis tours but it's scarily becoming a possibility), both the Welsh and even Cussiter could make it into McGeechan's thoughts. Not much hope for the Irish but if Ellis is being considered then why not.

O'Connell, O'Driscoll, Jones and.........Vickery? Euan Murray hardly set the world alight during the 6 Nations. Vickery could push due hard due to being Geech's captain at Wasps. I wouldn't have Vickery in the team (both Murray and Jones are ahead of him in the pecking order I reckon) but it's a possibility.

I think he's just trying to deflect a bit of the attention, the world and their mother knows there's only 2 candidates in the frame.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Mar 27 2009, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Euan Murray hardly set the world alight during the 6 Nations.[/b]

I disagree he held himself well against a pack that was on the back foot most games! He scrummaged well and was seen in the loose, he is better than Vickery end of story!

IMO Vickery shouldn't even be touring to South Africa. The Lions captaincy is between the two Irish players O'Driscoll and O'Connell, Ryan Jones does not do it for me - especially as he has been playing out of position (sort of) during the Six Nations and also has been taken off the field a few times.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Mar 27 2009, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
IMO Vickery shouldn't even be touring to South Africa. The Lions captaincy is between the two Irish players O'Driscoll and O'Connell, Ryan Jones does not do it for me - especially as he has been playing out of position (sort of) during the Six Nations and also has been taken off the field a few times.[/b]

Ryan Jones was never subbed out of a game!

He did not play against Scotland (Opening Game) as he was injured then he did not start against Italy but came off the bench.

Im not saying he should be captain but it bugs me when people make a statement and don't look it up to see if its correct.

It's between O'Connell and O'Driscoll!

I dont think Ryan Jones will be considered for Captaincy, he wouldnt make most peoples starting XV (including mine). I think BOD will get the nod, just because of his form this year alone.

I also have a funny feeling more English players will tour than most people think...

Well, basically a Lions captain should meet the following criteria.

They should command the players around them, lead by example, be pivotal to the team and also first on the teamsheet and also have some proven pedigree of leadership at a high national level. Now, who would you pick out of all the players selectable for that role? There is only 2.. Paul O'Connell and Brian O'Driscoll, maybe a couple more if you are asleep at the time of selection. I mean, there are captains all over the pitch.. but only a couple who you know would be able to steady the ship.

For me Parisse is an epitome of a captain. Hell, he even scores drop goals when his backs can't even kick to touch.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Mar 27 2009, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ryan Jones was never subbed out of a game![/b]

Ahh your being pedantic. The general sense of what he was saying was correct.

However, I have a sneaky feeling that Jones may well be in the frame as a serious contender. The only thing holding him back is a guaranteed slot, but if Geech likes the look of him at 6 or 8, then he'll play at 6 or 8, end of. It'll also allow for the Lions to benefit from established relationships with the support coaches (Gatland and Edwards).

I think BOD or POC should be favourites, but I wouldnt object to Jones (well I will, with great venom, but only to troll the boards :) ), he'd make a good captain and will get the respect of those around him.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sean43 @ Mar 27 2009, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I dont think Ryan Jones will be considered for Captaincy, he wouldnt make most peoples starting XV (including mine). I think BOD will get the nod, just because of his form this year alone.

I also have a funny feeling more English players will tour than most people think...[/b]

That's always the case.

England could finish last and not score a single point and they'd still get players in.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Meh @ Mar 29 2009, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sean43 @ Mar 27 2009, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I also have a funny feeling more English players will tour than most people think...[/b]

That's always the case.

England could finish last and not score a single point and they'd still get players in.
[/b][/quote]
But they finished 2nd so they will have players in. Will Wales who struggled to score tries in this 6n have many players in. If so they will be picking on last years form.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Mar 29 2009, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Meh @ Mar 29 2009, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's always the case.

[/b][/quote]
But they finished 2nd so they will have players in. Will Wales who struggled to score tries in this 6n have many players in. If so they will be picking on last years form.
[/b][/quote]

Netherthless, Wales SHOULD have more players in because they have some of the best players in the respective positions. Unless you are trying to tell me that England are a better team than Wales. :rolleyes:

Ryan Jones did no favours for himself in the EDF Semi yesterday, he made some odd calls possibly costing the O's the game.

It's certainly between O'Driscoll and O'Connell, and personally I think it should be O'Connell, though I wouldn't mind atall if O'Driscoll get's the call.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Meh @ Mar 29 2009, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Mar 29 2009, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's always the case.

[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

Netherthless, Wales SHOULD have more players in because they have some of the best players in the respective positions. Unless you are trying to tell me that England are a better team than Wales. :rolleyes:
[/b][/quote]
Based on this years 6nations yes England are now the better team.
My captain would be O`Connell as O`Driscoll has already failed as Lions captain.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Mar 29 2009, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Meh @ Mar 29 2009, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's always the case.

[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
My captain would be O`Connell as O`Driscoll has already failed as Lions captain.
[/b][/quote]

yeah a spectacular failure on O'Driscoll's part :rolleyes: , all the more reason to give him the second chance, he'll be chomping at the bit to prove himself again for the Lions.

Twice this season in big games Jones has proved he doesn't have the right temperament to be captain so his Lions chances, if they existed, should be well and truly buried after yesterday.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Mar 29 2009, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Meh @ Mar 29 2009, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's always the case.

[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Not really Wales beat England simple therefore Wales were better than England ... not hard really.

Ryan Jones and Mike Blair for sure.
POC is still my favorite though, the rest are useful vice-captains.

Latest posts