• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

France - Argentina

Gonna be a really hard match... hope we get reforced to win the following matches

I`m not convinced by Hernandez at 10- he`s a class 15, IMO the best in the business, but he`s got precious little experience of flyhalf, and for such a crunch game, I`d have preferred a more experienced 10
[/b]

Maybe at a first class level, but Hernandez have played all of his life as a Fly Half. In fact, when he made his debut with the Pumas, as a Fullback, he had zero experience in that position, and he had to call a fellow Puma to ask for some position tips. Again, maybe his experience before leaving to Europe is not enough for a RWC is not enough, even if he played many years as a Fly Half here. Mut maybe it is. Guess we will know in 2 days!!

Chabal will come from the bench and destroy any hope that the Argies have built up in the first 40-60 minutes.

I see france winning this personally, but i'm looking forward to a real close game.
I hope the Argies push them, but i've got money on France so i know who i'm supporting...

Chabal will come from the bench and destroy any hope that the Argies have built up in the first 40-60 minutes.
[/b]

Chabal? Isn't he the THIRD option in France? I mean Elvis Vermeulen is the first.

And regarding Hernandez I would have preferred him at 15, as usual, but he really really WANTS to play at 10. At least he managed to play the TOP 14 final at 10 moving Skrela to 12, not bad at all, Stade Francais won it ...

But for those who are predicting a 10-15 point blowout for the French, I urge you to take a look at the Argie pack. Ledesma, the Fernandez-Lobbes and Roncero will grace most national sides in the world. So, overall, I think it`ll be a helluva good game, and extremely tight. Could go either way, but I doubt whether there`ll be more than 5 points in it either way.

[/b]

I agree with you mostly. 10-15 points isn't neccessarily a blow out though. Most people expect the match to be close and few would write off the Argies. I just think that in a tight game France will just be pipping the Pumas by 1-5 points and will get a further try to seal it.

I really can't see France losing the first game of their WC campaign as host nations in Paris.

That fact alone is worth an extra 10 points to a team...

Pienaar mentioned that last night on the box....being the host nation in front of your people is an unquantifiable bonus.

would love to see the argies get up for this one but just can't see it happening especially with france at home. both teams will come out nervous but expect things to open up after 20-40 mins. may have to watch this one on replay to as it kickoffs at 5am Australian (est) time

Last time at this same venue France won by one point (27 to 26) and with a very debatable end regarding the referee (they lost the previous four matches against Argentina by the way). So I really hope to see a battle decided in the end by few points.

So is anybody not predicting a close game? surely there must be some one-eyed french or argie supporters around somewhere.

I think we have to bear in mind here that this is a world cup pool game and not some friendly test match so there's a massive difference. So I think it's fair to say that we can't really draw comparisons between the two. I would imagine the French will be quite fast out of the blocks and build up a decent lead, let Argentina back into it and then kick on again, we'll see tonight though. The last thing Ireland need is to be facing a French side with its back to the walls so a win for Les Bleus has to be what we want.

I think we have to bear in mind here that this is a world cup pool game and not some friendly test match so there's a massive difference. So I think it's fair to say that we can't really draw comparisons between the two.[/b]

Yes, it's different but it could count and I think that's a very strong reason to consider possible an argentinean victory. The frech team know they have lost those matches and won by one point the last time. They perfectly know that they have only lost one match at Marseille and that match has been against Los Pumas. That could easily harm their mind strenght if the match doesn't start in the way they want or predicted, plus 80.000 people who would be let down ... it could also be the other way around.

I can't really use my brain (only) for this prediction so: Arg +5 :p

I think France should win 6 (or maybe 7) times out of 10 against us - under this circumstances -.

This should be a very good fast flowing match up. I think France will win by about 15-20... should be a difficult opener for them.

Only less than 4 hours till the big match! Dunno what to expect but imo France are too strong and will win.

Some people continue to underestimate the PUMAS in spite of beating France 4 of the last 5 times we met. And the French win was by only 1 point. We also beat England at Twickenham a few months ago and as more of our players go professional we are getting stronger and stronger. The next step is to get into one of the annual competitions to take our rugby to the top level.
Our game against Wales a couple of weeks ago was pretty bad, but of course we were not going to go all out and show what we have. Just part of the strategy.

VAMOS PUMAS

5 mins, 0-3 Argentina

Pen: Contepomi

Almost immedeately... 6 Mins: 3-3

Pen: Scrella

9 Mins: 3-6

Pen: F. Contepomi

16 Mins:

Tralle off

Michelack on

(blood)

21 Mins: 3-9