• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

France Squad for Autumn Internationals

D

DonBilly

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
AVANTS (17) : Barcella, Domingo, Szarzewski, Servat, Ducalcon, Marconnet, Mas, Nallet, Millo-Chlusky, Chabal, Papé, Harinordoquy, Picamoles, Ouedraogo, Dusautoir, Burban, Lapandry

ARRIERES (13) : Dupuy, Parra, Michalak, Trinh-Duc, Jauzion, Mermoz, David, Marty, Heymans, Fall, Clerc, Médard, Traille[/b]

I am surprised by the presence of Michalak and to a lesser extent of Jauzion and Heymans. I would have replaced Parra and Michalak by Ellisalde and Porical.

Bastareaud is not in the team, I guess he will join for the VI nations, maybe earlier if a centre is injured.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Oct 28 2009, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
AVANTS (17) : Barcella, Domingo, Szarzewski, Servat, Ducalcon, Marconnet, Mas, Nallet, Millo-Chlusky, Chabal, Papé, Harinordoquy, Picamoles, Ouedraogo, Dusautoir, Burban, Lapandry

ARRIERES (13) : Dupuy, Parra, Michalak, Trinh-Duc, Jauzion, Mermoz, David, Marty, Heymans, Fall, Clerc, Médard, Traille[/b]

I am surprised by the presence of Michalak and to a lesser extent of Jauzion and Heymans. I would have replaced Parra and Michalak by Ellisalde and Porical.

Bastareaud is not in the team, I guess he will join for the VI nations, maybe earlier if a centre is injured.

[/b][/quote]

Good to see Fall in there...would have liked to see Porical.

My starting XV for SA

Barcella Servat Mas
Nallet Pape
Dusautoir Harinordoquy Ouedraogo

Dupuy Trinh Duc

Heymans Mermoz Marty Clerc
Medard

A little bit weak under the high ball and Trinh Duc hasn't got the best defensive kicking game, but great for attacking rugby.

Although it's probably gonna be

Heymans Traille Mermoz Clerc
Medard

Or

Heymans Traille Marty/Mermoz Clerc
Medard

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Oct 28 2009, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Oct 28 2009, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

My starting XV for SA

Barcella Servat Mas
Nallet Pape

Dupuy Trinh Duc

Medard

A little bit weak under the high ball and Trinh Duc hasn't got the best defensive kicking game, but great for attacking rugby.

Medard

Or

Medard
[/b][/quote]

I hope your first team gets picked Charkes, as it is exactly mine too. I would prefer to keep Traille as a replacement 10 in case Trinh Duc takes too much pressure.
Chabal and Michalak are the two that really surprize me. No Elissalde is really unfair too... Why we woul'n need France's best 9 and arguably best 10 at times is beyond me...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Oct 28 2009, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Oct 28 2009, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

My starting XV for SA

Barcella Servat Mas
Nallet Pape

Dupuy Trinh Duc

Medard

Medard

Or

Medard
[/b][/quote]

To play versus SA we'll need the power of Picamoles and the agility of Harinordoquy in the line-outs. So for the back-row: Dussautoir, Picamoles, Harinordoquy.

The issue with Trinh Duc at FH position is that you need a first centre that plays like a second 5/8th, Trailles will come thus as first centre, I would then put either Marty or David as outside centre. An alternative can be Traille FH and then Mermoz and Marty as centres. In this configuration Dupuy or Parra can kick the penatiles. A big FH can help in presence of SA's flankers.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Oct 28 2009, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
To play versus SA we'll need the power of Picamoles and the agility of Harinordoquy in the line-outs. So for the back-row: Dussautoir, Picamoles, Harinordoquy.

The issue with Trinh Duc at FH position is that you need a first centre that plays like a second 5/8th, Trailles will come thus as first centre, I would then put either Marty or David as outside centre. An alternative can be Traille FH and then Mermoz and Marty as centres. In this configuration Dupuy or Parra can kick the penatiles. A big FH can help in presence of SA's flankers.[/b]

As opposed to the famous line, you can not fight fire with fire. Each time France tried to outmuscle tho opposing team we got spanked. Hard.
On the other hand, the last time we beat SA the back row was: Martin Bonnaire Nyanga.

We NEED Ouedraogo for his defensive cover (couverture). And he is better than Picamoles in the line-outs.

No Chabal?
Sorry for asking but I had read that the coach took him back in the squad because he wanted to go to the WC in 2011

i notice neither of you are in favor of starting Szarzewski? i he going to a bad patch or what?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noidsay @ Oct 28 2009, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i notice neither of you are in favor of starting Szarzewski? i he going to a bad patch or what?[/b]

I have no problem with Szarzewski. Servat is also very good. His throwing in the line-outs is supposed to be a bit better than that of Szarzewski, this can be very important when playing SA.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noidsay @ Oct 28 2009, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i notice neither of you are in favor of starting Szarzewski? i he going to a bad patch or what?[/b]

Szat can't throw accurately to save his life. He balances it with good qualities around the park but against the best line-out in the world it is a risk I wouldn't take. He is also prone to the occasional brainfart in front of the posts. Again, with the Steyn's, it's a no brainer. Servat might be less flashy but he is more reliable all round and a great player in the tight. Szar will come on around the 60' with Chabal, Picamoles and Michalak to hamer the tired Saffas...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Oct 28 2009, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

My starting XV for SA

Barcella Servat Mas
Nallet Pape

Dupuy Trinh Duc

Medard

Medard

Or

Medard[/b]

Very good team there Charles. I would only make one change with Yann David starting at 13. Despite form it is still a big call to not pick Jauzion given his size and experience. The French backs will be very, very inexperienced. The wingers being the most experienced!

Bonnaire should be in there ahead of Burban. Personally I think its ridiculous to see Burban selected.

It looks like Traille ahs been picked as a fullback not a centre.

So I would go for:

1 Barcella 2 Servat 3 Mas
4 Nallet 5 Papé
6 Dusautoir 8 Harinordoquy 7 Ouedraogo

9 Dupuy 10Trinh Duc
12 Mermoz 13 David
11 Heymans, 15 Médard, 14 Clerc

16 Szarewski
17 Domingo
18 Chabal
19 Picamoles
20 Parra
21 Jauzion
22 Traille

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Melhor Time @ Oct 28 2009, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Very good team there Charles. I would only make one change with Yann David starting at 13. Despite form it is still a big call to not pick Jauzion given his size and experience. The French backs will be very, very inexperienced. The wingers being the most experienced!

Bonnaire should be in there ahead of Burban. Personally I think its ridiculous to see Burban selected.

It looks like Traille ahs been picked as a fullback not a centre.

So I would go for:

1 Barcella 2 Servat 3 Mas
4 Nallet 5 Papé
6 Dusautoir 8 Harinordoquy 7 Ouedraogo

9 Dupuy 10Trinh Duc
12 Mermoz 13 David
11 Heymans, 15 Médard, 14 Clerc

16 Szarewski
17 Domingo
18 Chabal
19 Picamoles
20 Parra
21 Jauzion
22 Traille[/b]

Agreed about Burban/Bonnaire.

I know wht you mean about David but Mermoz-Marty is the best centrepairing in France for the last 2 years.

Although Mermoz-David or Mermoz-Basta are gonna be massive in the future.

What's wrong with Burban ? He's an heavy tackler, an agressive player with a strong activity, not bad with his hands too. To me he's like an ameliorated Remy Martin (he took his place at Stade two years ago...) and he's still very young. To me he's more legitimate than Lapandry.

But his profile might be too similar with Dusautoir's. Bonnaire against the Bok lineout will be missing for sure.

Hope to see a Mermoz/Marty pair. Marty is underrated over here, and his complicty with Mermoz is priceless.

Baby most play on the wing this season. Probably he is much better center and even played fly-half in Six Nations 2008 against Wales. So Clerc and Heymans will be starting wings, Medard probably is more wing than fullback and uncapped Fall is wing. A lot of choises for Lievremont. The weakest link is fly-half. I'd prefer Trinc-Duc, but his kicking is questionable. Michalak talented but on one day he is hero, on other - zero. Traille deserve being started game against Springboks because of his athletism, tackling and kicking.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wertas @ Oct 29 2009, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Baby most play on the wing this season. Probably he is much better center and even played fly-half in Six Nations 2008 against Wales. So Clerc and Heymans will be starting wings, Medard probably is more wing than fullback and uncapped Fall is wing. A lot of choises for Lievremont. The weakest link is fly-half. I'd prefer Trinc-Duc, but his kicking is questionable. Michalak talented but on one day he is hero, on other - zero. Traille deserve being started game against Springboks because of his athletism, tackling and kicking.[/b]

Almost :D

Medard is average on the wing, he is brilliant at fullback.

Due to injuries occured during the 11th Top14 round: Burban is replaced by Bonnaire and Ducalcon is replaced by Guirado. Guirado is a hooker. There will be thus 3 hookers and 4 props.

Thursday evening it will be the 12th Top14 round. It's likely that one or two players got injured and will have to be replaced.

Latest posts