France v England

A

An Tarbh

<div align="center">
France.gif
France v England
England.gif
</div>

Well it's Le Crunch and certainly a revenge mission for the French after their humiliation in the semi-final defeat against the English.

The running rugby may be back for les Bleus but so is the inconsistency and ability to implode, thankfully for Lièvremont Ireland were unable to capitalise and so the Grand Slam hopes remain intact.

Areas of improvement for the French would include the scrum where the Irish embarassingly got the upper hand.

As for Ashton and his England side they've taken no end of flak following their two performances so far, but something is telling me we could end up seeing a repeat of the world cup semi-final with England taking the spoils in a similar manner.

Your thoughts then, France to continue their Grand slam quest or England to upset the odds?

French squad:

Brugnaut (Dax)
Faure (Sale)
Szarzewski (Stade Français)
Servat (Stade Toulousain)
Mas (Perpignan)

Nallet (Castres, cap)
Millo-Chlusky (Stade toulousain)
Papé (Stade français)

Dusautoir (Stade toulousain)
Bonnaire (Clermont)
Ouedraogo (Montpellier)
Picamoles (Montpellier)

Skrela (Stade français)
Trinh-Duc (Montpellier)
Elissalde (Stade toulousain)
Parra (Bourgoin)

Traille (Biarritz)
Marty (Perpignan)
Clerc (Stade toulousain)
Rougerie (Clermont)

Heymans (Stade toulousain)
Poitrenaud (Stade toulousain)

Good news for England: 0 changes in the front row. Servat & Brugnaut, who have failed to make Ireland win by themselves are still there.
The useless and awkward Poitrenaud is back too.... but two good changes: Papé, one of the best player of Top 14 this season and an ex-key player/captain of les Bleus (but 27 years old only) is back. Millo-Chluski, a very good lock from Toulouse is on too.

This two players can give their strenght to the scrum and Mas-Swarz-Faure are a good front row... but pretty poor bench once again.

Hope we will lead by + 40 at the end of the first half or it's gonna be tough.

Balshaw. Hands down. Bet he still doesn't get dropped.

At least Poitrenaud is actually good when he isn't cocking up. Whereas Balshaw isn't even mercurial, he just offers next to nothing anymore.

I dislike Poitrenaud but from a positive point of view: now that Laporte is gone, he could be more comfortable, in a team who plays running rugby.

And we may have 'Toulouse lethal back 3': Poitrenaud, Clerc and Heymans back at wing. When we see the harmony between Clerc & Heymans... this could be even better if Poitrenaud does not too blunder.

But anyway I think that Heymans will start at fullback and Rougerie at wing. And the main preoccupation is the scrum... I think that Lievremont wants to galvanize the wounded pride of our front row for this very important Crunch. Risky bet.

Keeping Brugnaut in there is certainly a strange move after Saturday. I don't think Lièvremont will be so eager to make the wholesale changes he did.

Another strange thing: Malzieu was in the starting XV in Scotland, he scored a try, did a good match, and was in the XV for Ireland too. He got injured, ok... a week after he's in shape and he's not picked ?

Not really fair...

I wouldn't bet on an England win. Unless they destroy the game like they did so horribly well in the semi last year, then France will run them ragged.

@ StillKnox Isn't Malzieu still injured ?

You're right about the bet but if it pays off it could be pretty entertaining.

Here's my starting XV anyway

Faure Swartzy Mas
Nallet Papé
Dusautoir Picamoles Bonnaire
Elissalde Trinh-Duc
Clerc Traille Poitrenaud Rougerie
Heymans

Hope we will lead by + 40 at the end of the first half or it's gonna be tough ... [/b]
... to reach the 80 points? :D (smiley so I don't get flamed by English supporters)

Seriously, England have had jaw dropping tactical difficulties in the second half. I'd expect them to give France the usual first half roughing up, and then lose the plot to some deep running from Heymans.

The scrum could keep England in front all the way through, but I don't have confidence in their backrow and scrum half.

Who knows? France have had two odd matches so far. England two ridiculous matches. Best thing would be for both teams to get their heads screwed on and give us a traditional Crunch.

Has the starting XV been revealed yet? I thought I read somewhere that Trinh-Duc and Parra were going to start together, that would be awesome :D

Poitrenaud is a good player (when he doesn't screw up), but the current back three look great, and Heymans has been mercurial at FB so I hope this doesn't change.

Could potentially be the most exciting first 50 minutes of rugby in the 6 nations this year. If england are still in the game at this point, who knows. England need to pull thir finger out, and this should be the sternest test of the lot, if England play as well as their potential they could pull it outta the bag. France are playing some really exciting stuff so if England drag them to their level-it could be a win :eek:

Could potentially be the most exciting first 50 minutes of rugby in the 6 nations this year. If england are still in the game at this point, who knows. England need to pull thir finger out, and this should be the sternest test of the lot, if England play as well as their potential they could pull it outta the bag. France are playing some really exciting stuff so if England drag them to their level-it could be a win :eek: [/b]

disagree. When England have dragged the game down to a poor level they have lost. They only made leads by playing some rugby. It's not like they can win by playing boring 10 man rugby, because the past 2 games they couldn't do that with any ability at all.

<div class='quotemain'> Could potentially be the most exciting first 50 minutes of rugby in the 6 nations this year. If england are still in the game at this point, who knows. England need to pull thir finger out, and this should be the sternest test of the lot, if England play as well as their potential they could pull it outta the bag. France are playing some really exciting stuff so if England drag them to their level-it could be a win :eek: [/b]

disagree. When England have dragged the game down to a poor level they have lost. They only made leads by playing some rugby. It's not like they can win by playing boring 10 man rugby, because the past 2 games they couldn't do that with any ability at all.
[/b][/quote]

Yeh, perhaps i wasnt exactly clear, but i'm sticking my neck out and saying an England win wotever the performance is like after the dreaded 50minute mark. Like i said, if England play to their potential they should win, but if they drag France to the current England level, the game is anybody's. If Balshaw lines up, which no doubt he will, England will struggle to create a fluid game that England fans really want to see and this is where France have the upper hand. I'm just dying to see open rugby in NH rugby.

Poitrenaud just injured during first half of the TOP 14 match Toulouse vs Perpignan. Seems to be a fracture, but whatever the gravity, won't be available for this crunch.

Return of Jauzion ?

Nah, I don't think Lievremont will just recall him after specifically stating he isn't fit/back to his old level yet. Can't Traille play?

Possibly not indeed...Lievremont is waiting to see tonight's match beetween Clermont and Brive to evaluate the latest physical conditions of Malzieu and Floch.

I think they can both go for it. Only problem is none of them can play as alternate center like Poitrenaud could.

It is not because poitrenaud is damaged that France is going to lose on the contrary they are going to win for him go France

Latest posts