France v Wales

A

An Tarbh

<div align='center'>
france.png
wales.png

France v Wales
</div>

So the first Friday game of the Six Nations takes place in Paris with little concern for the travelling fans and more focus on tv ratings.

That said this game certainly has the potential to light up the tournament.

Should both teams show up we should be in for fireworks, the game 4 years ago was an absolute classic as Wales upset the odds to take the spoils. France got a measure of revenge 2 years ago on their way to the championship though.

Hard to call this one, if France play like they did in Dublin they've every chance, if Wales show up then there'll only be one winner

Jesus we have 2 weeks to hype this one up!

Its impossible to call, but thats the beauty of the 6 nations really. Wales have become consistently excellent, but France have shown glimpses of what they can do. If France dont bring their A game though, you have to see a Welsh win.

Shane Williams and Gavin Henson are fit for this match, but will Henson recover his place? He might play for the Ospreys against Conaucht next weekend to gain some match fitness, but does he deserve an automatic spot in the Wales team?

I'd usually say no, but the match v England proved we can't continue with two similar players in Jamie Roberts and Shanklin in midfield. That's why I'd at least bring Henson on to the bench (no matter how well Bishop's been playing, he doesn't have the class of Henson), or even start him and show what he can bring. That would mean moving Roberts to outside centre (if fit).

The other option would be to continue with Roberts - Shanklin (as France aren't normally as physical as England) and bring Henson back for the Italy match so he can gain some match time before Ireland (which could still be the championship decider even if Wales loose to France).

Some tough decisions for Gatland to make, glad I'm not the one who's gotta make them!

How long has Henson been out now? I havent been paying much attention really, has it been a long lay off?

Hasn't played for Wales since the Grand Slam game against France last year, but he played against leicester for the Ospreys in the last round of HC games (albeit out of position at full back). His form was a bit up and down for the O's, but being played at 15, then 12 then 15 again might cause that! At the end of the day, it'll probably come down to how he goes in training.

At least we've got options in the midfield now. A year ago we didn't.

I'd go for a:

12. Henson
13. Roberts

midfield, so that we can either have Roberts moving forward on the crash-ball, or have Henson passing the ball further wide - Roberts being a decoy - to support further out. I'm not the only one who noticed how one-dimensional we were against England by using Roberts in the midfield all the time and only having it pay off once(?). Unfair on Shanklin I know, but we'll need to get the better of Jauzion in midfield. Our defence needs tightening up aswell; there were many enormous gaps that England exposed during the course of the game...
All of this is pointless blabber though if France give us as many opportunities as they gave Scotland.

I just don't understand this obsession with Henson, he's always looking for an excuse and given the form of the other centres is surplus to requirements as far as I'm concerned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 16 2009, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I just don't understand this obsession with Henson, he's always looking for an excuse and given the form of the other centres is surplus to requirements as far as I'm concerned[/b]
Yeah I'm of the same mind. I think the "everyone hate Henson" boat has well and truly sailed so maybe someone could explain what it is Henson has done to deserve such effection from the Welsh support? I remember well THAT game against England, but aside from that, I can hardly remember him playing a game at all.

With Ireland we have the likes of O'Driscoll and O'Connell because they have done it on the pitch so often, O'Gara we like because he is all we have, but we also have the likes of D'Arcy who after having one spectacular season, lived a little off the reputation gained in those days while going a solid job in the middle of the pitch. Never matching those days, but not letting the side down either.

Is Henson not something similar?

It's because he's capable of being a trully world class player. Every time he get's a few games under his belt he normally returns to being one of the best centres in europe (i.e. last years 6nations), and that was still not playing at full tilt. He's been severely unlucky with injuries, and has been his own worst enemy at times, getting himself banned once or twice and generally acting like a knob. I think alot of people were giving up on him around the world cup time, but he came back and showed what he can do when fully fit in the 6nations, being the standout centre in a standout team. His attutude has changed, he no longer appears in papers for drunken antics. He doesn't deserve a different treatment to the other guys in the squad, but you have got to play your best players if you want to challange the best, especially when the player pool is reletively small to begin with.

No matter that we have Shanklin, Bishop and Roberts, on his day, Henson is better than all but Roberts. I'm not sure you can call pulling out due to injury, 'any excuse not to play', he knows full well what can happen if you play international rugby when youre not fully fit, or 80% anyway. He doesn't want to make the kinda mistake he made in Ireland in 2006 again!

It speaks volumes that every coach Wales have had talkes up Henson, and Gatland's not the kinda guy that would put up with anything but the best attitudes to training and rugby itself. Reportedly he's back to full fitness and if he starts against France it'll be because he's impressed in training. I'm expecting him to start on the bench and come on in the last 1/4 if needed/if the games won, probably the former against France!

well how many matches did he miss waiting for his baby to be born, absolute nonsense in my opinion.

Really? I commented on this at the time, saying that something like the birth of your child should always come before something like rugby! How can he be blamed because the baby wasn't born on time? In any normal job, it would be easy enough to take time off when the call came, but what would have happened if he'd played and had to go off because whatsherface went into labour? Fine, there's replacements, but how about if someone also got injured?

He made the choice that his wife and baby came before his rugby, good on him I say!

Edit: I know it sounds like I'm defending him too much, but I also think some are being overly critical of a player who's been plagued with injury which are out of his control. I'm fine with people critisizing him for his drunken antics on the train, or his suspension a couple of seasons ago, as these were his own fault.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Feb 16 2009, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Really? I commented on this at the time, saying that something like the birth of your child should always come before something like rugby! How can he be blamed because the baby wasn't born on time? In any normal job, it would be easy enough to take time off when the call came, but what would have happened if he'd played and had to go off because whatsherface went into labour? Fine, there's replacements, but how about if someone also got injured?

He made the choice that his wife and baby came before his rugby, good on him I say![/b]

in any normal job you do not get time off before your baby is born, Henson has taken the **** in this regard. My niece was born 3 days ago, her dad was given no time off and is only entitled to 2 days off after the birth. He's a teacher, what if he'd been in the middle of an exam while she went in to labour, chances are he'd have to stay till the end of the exam, same with Henson, if she goes into labour during a match, you tell him after the match, it can be quite a long process!

Were talking about rugby! It's there to entertain us, we've gotta kee that in perspective here. The Ospreys were obviously willing for him to take the time off, they had Bishop who was in excellent form to step in, what's the problem?

the problem is someone being given time off 3 weeks before his wife had a baby, you don't think that's ridiculous.

The baby was 3 weeks late, in hindsight I'm sure he also realises he didn't need to miss the first game. Isn't hindslight a wonderful thing eh?

Its a tough decision but if he was totally focused he wouldnt have missed any game time.Especially seeing he has been injured for so long. He owes Wales and certainly the Ospreys.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 16 2009, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
ah I give up, only a sportsman would get away with such nonsense.[/b]

Yeah, you're probably right, then again he is 'only' a sportsman. I totally understand what you're saying An, but at the same time I think sport can sometimes be taken a bit too seriously. Coaches are willing to rest players etc. when they deem ok (heavy playing schedule, playing against a weak team, playing in the EDF etc.), I don't see this as too dissimilar, except he had a valid reason at the time (yes in hindsight it may appear foolish), he obviously decided he did not want to miss the birth of his child and decided to take some leave. We never know, this might have been a previously negotiated thing with the Ospreys.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Feb 16 2009, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 16 2009, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ah I give up, only a sportsman would get away with such nonsense.[/b]

Yeah, you're probably right, then again he is 'only' a sportsman. I totally understand what you're saying An, but at the same time I think sport can sometimes be taken a bit too seriously. Coaches are willing to rest players etc. when they deem ok (heavy playing schedule, playing against a weak team, playing in the EDF etc.), I don't see this as too dissimilar, except he had a valid reason at the time (yes in hindsight it may appear foolish), he obviously decided he did not want to miss the birth of his child and decided to take some leave. We never know, this might have been a previously negotiated thing with the Ospreys.
[/b][/quote]

well I've no problem with him or anyone taking leave as long as he wasn't paid

and less of the An, it's been explained already :rolleyes:

Latest posts