• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

France v Wales

I think that's brilliant. Saw it in Swansea yesterday. Brains' advertising people are awesome! :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
TRY
ESSAIS[/b]

Dont get it. Granted I've only had a quick glance but its far to clever for me. Anyone care to explain?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Feb 24 2009, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
TRY
ESSAIS[/b]

Dont get it. Granted I've only had a quick glance but its far to clever for me. Anyone care to explain?
[/b][/quote]

To side-step the issue, the usual Brains logo will this year be replaced by the words “Try Essai†on players’ shirts during the French match.

Essai translates as “try†in French but spoken aloud it is intended to be a pun on “Try SA†in reference to the company’s iconic SA beer.

In 2005, the brewery switched “Brains†for “Brawn†on the Welsh team’s shirts, while in 2007 the kit read “Brawn Againâ€

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-ne...91466-22926343/

Gatland: "So I'm hoping we'll see some variation on Friday evening, because we purposely didn't show our hand in that respect against England.''

(LINK ==>) :D

Guess it's a sort of hit back at the the referee comments made by the English staff. And a way to bait France also.

you might want to try again there with the link, some shite about Henson being the special one, there's only one special one and he ain't Welsh.

The French team has been announced with Baby starting at 10 for the injured Beauxis, Médard moves to full back with Poitrenaud on the bench, Malzieu comes back into the team, Bastareaud starts in the centre alongside Jauzion, Parra comes in for Tillous Borde. In the pack Chabal regains his starting place in favour of Millo-Chlusky while Marconnet is recalled in the front row

France XV : 15. Médard, 14. Malzieu, 13. Bastareaud, 12. Jauzion, 11. Heymans, 10. Baby, 9. Parra, 1. Barcella, 2. Swarzewski, 3. Marconnet, 4. Chabal, 5. Nallet ©, 6. Dusautoir, 7. Ouedrago, 8. Harinordoquy.

Replacements: 16. Kayser, 17. Domingo, 18. Millo-Chlusky, 19. Picamoles, 20. Tillous-Borde, 21. Trinh-Duc, 22. Poitrenaud.

XV de France composition:

Barcella - Swarzewski - Marconnet
Chabal - Nallet ©
Dusautoir - Harinordoquy - Ouedraogo

Parra - Baby

Heymans - Jauzion - Bastareaud - Malzieu

Médard

Bench: Kayser, Domingo, Millo-Chluski, Picamoles, Tillous-Borde, Trinh-Duc, Poitrenaud

What's the point with Trinh-Duc if Lievremont wants to see Baby at 10 ? And I believe that Skrela and Michalak are definitively out of plans now... Baby has the skills to me but he played here only 3 times this season and his form is bad since a few weeks now. Can't see him making the difference, and his kicking game is not good as Beauxis's.

I often defenfed Lievremont and his mates since a year but their logic (if there is one...) is very difficult to understand. This was supposed to be the year of stability and the silly experiments are back... for the most important game of the 6N.

Anyway pleased by Medard at fullback, he will show his true potential here. Bastareaud at 13 is the best alternative to Fritz and Parra is surely faster and smarter than the Tillous Borde we saw in the last two games. Good to see Marconnet in the (dark) blue jersey again. Hope he's not too out of form, can't say he has been outstanding with Stade this season.

Wales by +8 :(

Well, at the point we are now, let's go for another experimentation (9th scrum/fly half combinaison since the arrival of Lièvremont).

Opportunities
10 % to get the biggest defeat in Stade de France in a tournament since its inauguration
70 % to take beetween 15/20 pts
20 % to win by less than 5

Looks like you'll benefit from a Poitrenaudless back three that looks very strong in attack but with a more reliable 15.

And for fick sake. Baby (is he a bit chubby these days?) at 10? Can he kick particularly well? I suppose it does mean good distribution to the backs and probably a stronger defence for Roberts to run at down the 10-12!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Feb 25 2009, 10:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Can he kick particularly well? I suppose it does mean good distribution to the backs and probably a stronger defence for Roberts to run at down the 10-12![/b]
He has a big boot but it's hard to estimate his tactical habilities in that area, most of the time he's fullback or centre so he's just here to put the pressure away with a massive kick. He's able to kick penalties from the midfield too, but he's not really reliable, same as Halfpenny for the welsh. Parra will be the goalkicker apparently.

He's fine in defense... not as good as Skrela I guess, but at least better than Beauxis. His distribution and pace must be his strong point but this will be his first time at 10 at this level... I doubt he will set the world on fire on that occasion.

Not sure what to make of this really. I've only seen Baby play once or twice and can't remember much about him. Basteraud (he's bound to become a star with a name like that!) is similar size to Jamie Roberts, so that could turn into a battle royale (hows basteraud's defense?), I'd expect Gatland to use the tactic of testing these inexperienced/out of position players with a mixture of Roberts/Powell crash balls and some Shane sniping runs, see how it holds up!

Other than those two, rest looks about as strong as it always is, no Pontrinaud is probably a good thing for France, too many mistakes for my liking.

Overall, not sure how to feel, players like Basteraud could have a blinder and win France the game, or they could have a shocker and cost them, who knows. Same old France it seems.

I think as of late Poitreanaud has been rock solid, nothing sticks in the mind recently of any howler. Still though it's not like there's a gulf in class between the 4 back 3 players chosen.

Baby would be my concern though, yeah he made an impressive debut back in 2005 but he hasn't really lived up to the hype for me, this is something that could work gloriously or quite easily have disaster written all over it. Hopefully it's the former.

This is a HUGE bet. Baby at 10, Bastareaud at 13...I'm not convinced. And I will have to wake up at 4 AM to see France possibly get spanked hard at home... <_<

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 25 2009, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think as of late Poitreanaud has been rock solid, nothing sticks in the mind recently of any howler. Still though it's not like there's a gulf in class between the 4 back 3 players chosen.

Baby would be my concern though, yeah he made an impressive debut back in 2005 but he hasn't really lived up to the hype for me, this is something that could work gloriously or quite easily have disaster written all over it. Hopefully it's the former.[/b]

His (Poitrenaud) error count was 13 against Ireland.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Feb 25 2009, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 25 2009, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Baby would be my concern though, yeah he made an impressive debut back in 2005 but he hasn't really lived up to the hype for me, this is something that could work gloriously or quite easily have disaster written all over it. Hopefully it's the former.[/b]

His error count was 13 against Ireland.
[/b][/quote]

what counts as an error though, I don't remember him doing a Poitrenaud throughout the game, that's probably from the official stats right? this is the same official stats that said Scotland had 1 linebreak in France.

Latest posts