• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

France vs England (30/04/2022) 14h15m UTC @ Stade Jean Dauger, Bayonne

Just looked it up and joy Neville is one of the ARs . . . Sheesh she could be in the middle.

Had to miss the second half. Well done England, fantastic win and grand slam

Fantastic win for England, really pushed by France but talent shone through as well as commitment.

one thing i will query however, is with some of the England scores looking like cricket scores, I wonder whether it is actually beneficial? I mean Eng vs Wales (58-5), Eng vs Ire (69-0 ) , Eng vs Scot (57-5), Eng vs Ita (74-0) seems like it will just be very detrimental on those squads. The likes of Packer, Bern, Scarrett, Hunter, Botterman are fully contracted professionals whilst most of those players aren't and IMHO it can't help anyone.

I know England can only beat what is in front of them but what can you do about such one sided scorelines?

Fantastic win for England, really pushed by France but talent shone through as well as commitment.

one thing i will query however, is with some of the England scores looking like cricket scores, I wonder whether it is actually beneficial? I mean Eng vs Wales (58-5), Eng vs Ire (69-0 ) , Eng vs Scot (57-5), Eng vs Ita (74-0) seems like it will just be very detrimental on those squads. The likes of Packer, Bern, Scarrett, Hunter, Botterman are fully contracted professionals whilst most of those players aren't and IMHO it can't help anyone.

I know England can only beat what is in front of them but what can you do about such one sided scorelines?
It just really highlights the difference between players who are fully professional and those who have full time jobs outside. For me it's not England's issue, but the other countries not funding women's sport enough. Issue is that rugby as a whole seems to be suffering financially, so how soon will it change in a big way? I know the Welsh have given some contracts out, but when they talk about cutting regions, you have to think they aren't going to fund a fully professional squad.

Ireland for me should be ashamed. They seem to have literally thrown all their money into the men's game at the expense of the women's game.

Like you said they can only play who's in front of them. France v England will probably continue to be the game unless another nation steps up in the northern hemisphere. Covid has probably affected new zealand's ability to travel but that is some more competition for them.

In the mean time the best women's rugby will probably be the super 15s, with occasional great international matches.

Agreed that Ireland need to step up. A full time women's squad would be two Leinster player salaries. Apparently no room in the budget for referees, women, coaches, water boys, or reserving your own stadium for quarter finals.

IIRC...
Wales turned professional (or 22(?) of them did) in January.
Italy turned professional during the course of this 6N (30-odd contracts).
Scotland have just introduced semi-professional contracts.

Ireland "have a little more time", as they failed to qualify for the RWC this Autumn - which is also why they denuded their 6N squad to concentrate on 7s this year.

Scotland, Wales and Ireland, obviously also have players in the English Prem.

Agree with all above. Others have to catch up but one thing it has shown is the power of suddenly turning professional. England looked mean and keen every chance they got.

Completely agree about the Irish, funding huge amounts into mens game but womens seems miles behind when it really shouldn't be.

Women's sevens is more popular here and we're 4th in the world series. XVs playing numbers just aren't there behind Hockey (World Cup finalists and would have the type of schools tournaments that allow the men's game be so successful), GAA, soccer and individual sports.

It's probably underfunded but no chance we can compete against competitive opponents.

Latest posts