• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

France vs Wales - 24/10/2020

I've never understood why we don't see more chips over the top by wingers. Such an easy skill to implement

Impressive performance by France. They really are becoming a force to be reckoned with. Great to see after years of indifferent form.

If France can tighten up on the silly penalties then they will definitely be championship contenders in Feb. With England playing Italy though I think this year has gone.

France weren't perfect but some of the individual skill was brilliant. Ireland have it all on to get a 5 pointer in Paris next Saturday.

If France can tighten up on the silly penalties then they will definitely be championship contenders in Feb. With England playing Italy though I think this year has gone.
You would think that but if Italy play above themselves and hold England to a 15 point margin then France would need a 20 point win against Ireland to win it, bearing in mind they just beat Wales by 17 points, not inconceivable.

It might not be inconceivable, but I really don't see that happening ... Italy were poor today and faded badly in the final quarter. They'd need to improve a hell of a lot.

England have beaten Italy by a 30+ margin in every game since 2013 home or away. There's a possibility that we might be undercooked without a warm up, but I still expect a BP win.

France vs. Ireland has the potential to be a cracker, but based upon today's games, I'd back France for the win. I thought Ireland were OK, but Italy were very poor. France blew a good Welsh team away,

Yeah I don't expect England to be anything less than winning by 40 pts or more. Italy's forwards were awful and the English players look in great form and refreshed as hell.

Le Roux has form for thuggery. The officials should have seen that. Citing coming?

Yeah I don't expect England to be anything less than winning by 40 pts or more. Italy's forwards were awful and the English players look in great form and refreshed as hell.
40 points is a big margin. I'm not sure about that, although it would be very satisfying.

I'd definitely expect bigger than than the 15 point margin Oliver Madden is suggesting.

Some quick player 'ratings' from yesterday:

01 Rhys Carre. Thought he looked a little unfit and got caught out defensively a couple of times. 3
02 Ryan Elias. One not straight throw, but otherwise lineout went OK. Didn't notice him too much otherwise. 5
03 Samson Lee. Unfortunately injured again! Not much to say otherwise. 5
04 Cory Hill. Easily removed from two clear turnover opportunities in the lead up to France try. Lacked physicality against the French pack. 3
05 AWJ. Almost anonymous yesterday I thought. Worried that his time really has come after average WC and 6 nations campaigns. 4
06 Aaron Wainwright. Another passenger I thought. Didn't notice him too much. 4
07 Justin Tipuric. The one shining light in an otherwise very poor pack performance. Was everywhere all night. I know some will lay blame for creating a dog leg by rushing out, but inside cover was poor. 8
08 Taulupe Faletau. A couple of good moments. One pick up from a retreating scrum was class. Still not back to his best though. 6

09 Rhys Webb. Was served **** at the breakdown by his forwards! Some OK box kicking. 6
10 Dan Biggar. Should have been replaced at half time. Uncharacteristically missed 3 shots at goal which scuppered any possibility of a comeback (not that we deserved one). Was brave in the air again, and difficult to judge in attack due to quality of ball. 4
11 Josh Adams. Poor in the air, but was otherwise busy, always looking for work. 6
12 Nick Tompkins. Another busy performance. Got over the advantage line when asked to carry and looked threatening in space. 7
13 John Davies. Looked rusty. 5
14 George North. Another poor performance from the big man. Two early errors are what stands out in another display where he barely got involved. 3
15 Leigh Halfpenny. Other than a couple of ropey dropped high balls, Halfpenny looked good. Looked to counter when he had the chance and looked good doing so. 7

Lots of changes needed for next week

Some of those ratings are harsh IMO. France have quickly returned to being a very good side and have the ability to have most teams chasing shadows.

I'd still fancy Wales to handle Scotland next week.

Latest posts