• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Francois Louw: The man to lead the Boks at the next world cup?

tompaton

Academy Player
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Ospreys
Heyneke Meyer has spoken of the respect he has for Francois Louw lately and the way he has helped younger players like Marcell Coetzee and Siya Kolisi with jackalling. He has indicated that Louw is the man to play openside for the Boks going to the 2015 World Cup. He also holds him in high stand with regard to his leadership. Jean de Villiers is unlikely to make it to the next world cup and when you look at the current Springbok team, there aren't many guaranteed a position with leadership and experience. Adriaan Strauss, Francois Louw and Pierre Spies come to mind (not to mention de Villiers). Strauss isn't guaranteed a spot in the long run with Bismarck du Plessis there, neither is Spies, who is widely regarded as inferior to many players including Duane Vermeulen. Louw seems like the stand out candidate to take the Springboks to the next world cup as captain.

Before the Samoa game when JDV's fitness was in doubt, Meyer said, "A year in rugby is a long time. This time last year I was very worried with leadership with a lot of quality leaders moving on in South African rugby. Suddenly there are a lot of guys putting up their hands. I have a lot of confidence in Adriaan, Bismarck (du Plessis) can lead, Pierre (Spies) as well, and Bryan (Habana) is taking the lead as a senior player as well. I'm happy with a guy like Francois Louw, who has captained Bath and is a quality player and leader as well.'

What are thoughts around this?

I'm not going to pretend that I know a lot about bok rugby but I recon de Villiers will carry on through to the WC.

Louw is a bloody good player, dont know a lot about him in terms of leadership and such, Boks seem to have been fairly unsettled on their flanker selections for some time with lots of changes forced by form and injuries. Spies seems to get selected constantly at 8 even though it does seem like there are better options.

As long as Louw plays for a European club it will not happen.
Arno Botha is a very possible candidate and will take over from Spies in 2014, he just needs a new SA club as the Bulls have Spies as their 8 and current captain and I can't see that changing soon
Not Strauss as he is not ensured a starting spot with Bismark back on the scene

Louw has been my favourite candidate for the captaincy since 2012 and is assured a place on the flanks if fit as our only out-and-out fetcher with HM strangely uninterested in the services of Heinrich Brussow. As has been said the only 'stumbling block' is that it would kinda be a slap in the face of every SA based player if the captaincy goes to an overseas-based player. I would hope that Francois comes back from Bath ASAP and find a place at either of the Stormers (for which he has played before) or the Sharks as these teams can make good use of him. As for the other candidates; JdV won't make it to 2015 and neither will Spies I am sure (or at least VERY HOPEFUL!!!). With Spies now injured Arno Botha who captained SA in junior levels will probably start for both SA and the Bulls when fit if he is fit and ready ahead of Spies which is very likely. He might get the nod as captain when JdV gets cut as HM has spoken about his leadership qualities before he even played senior rugby for the Bulls. Adriaan Strauss and Bismark du Plessis are pretty evenly matched so neither are assured starters with Du Plessis edging it as a player while Strauss edges it for proven leadership capabilities. Habana also won't make it the RWC 2015 in all probability and even though he is a senior in the squad I doubt he would ever be considered for a captaincy role.

Louw has been my favourite candidate for the captaincy since 2012 and is assured a place on the flanks if fit as our only out-and-out fetcher with HM strangely uninterested in the services of Heinrich Brussow. As has been said the only 'stumbling block' is that it would kinda be a slap in the face of every SA based player if the captaincy goes to an overseas-based player. I would hope that Francois comes back from Bath ASAP and find a place at either of the Stormers (for which he has played before) or the Sharks as these teams can make good use of him. As for the other candidates; JdV won't make it to 2015 and neither will Spies I am sure (or at least VERY HOPEFUL!!!). With Spies now injured Arno Botha who captained SA in junior levels will probably start for both SA and the Bulls when fit if he is fit and ready ahead of Spies which is very likely. He might get the nod as captain when JdV gets cut as HM has spoken about his leadership qualities before he even played senior rugby for the Bulls. Adriaan Strauss and Bismark du Plessis are pretty evenly matched so neither are assured starters with Du Plessis edging it as a player while Strauss edges it for proven leadership capabilities. Habana also won't make it the RWC 2015 in all probability and even though he is a senior in the squad I doubt he would ever be considered for a captaincy role.

IF Heynecke is still the coach at the next RWC.

Think we are a bit hard on Spoes. He was a winger converted to no 8. He should have been made a center ages ago. He shy's away from contact at times to preserve his body I suspect. He got a BMI of 28 which is mostly due to muscle I am sure. Which is not helping your body at all during hits and recovery.

Latest posts