• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Francois Steyn Drop Goal v Cheetahs

Fair play to him, that is one mighty strike.
Still, his abomination of a performance against Australia - which involved no-end of failed DG attempts - has made me lose all respect for him.

I remember watching that game. If he can do that in a humid sub-tropical climate, kicking into the wind, imagine what he can do at high altitude (Pretoria & Joburg) with the wind behind his back.

Its crazy that he doesn't get those more often, you must watch warm up before a game. He stands on the 50m line where a ball boy passes him numerous balls. He gets it from the kid, takes 2 steps and knocks it over easily. Takes another ball straight afterwards, 2 steps, bangs it over with several metres to spare. Does this like 7 times in less than 30 seconds. Amazing.

well sir speedy, just because he played one bad game your a fool...

he can drop kick further then henson can kick from cone which is lolable look at the talent from henson to steyn, steyn is more world class hes the youngest ever to win a medal for world cup, he isnt a fly half he is a fullback and centre, fullback for me though for my preference of him.

Steve O is right, just imagine him in those circumstances at pretoria haha 22m drop goal i reckon he could get.

Uh, buddy, no need to get your panties in a knot. I said I don't rate him currently. In a few years time he could be World class, but right now he's still maturing.
Besides, from what I've heard on these boards, he was pretty poor in the S14 last season. He looked way out of his depth playing for the Barbarians. Which is silly really, all he needed to do was chuck the ball about like traditional Baa-Baas do. Frankly, everything he touched turned to ****.
Ah well, good luck to him in the coming season.

Also, I better let you know that in the real world, we don't deem players World class when their only special ability is kicking 70 metre drop goals once in every twenty attempts. ;)

My feeling on the player is he is a superbly talented guy who has just got a bit above his station. His dropping from the SA team should be the prompt needed for him to get his act together. Arrogance to a certain extent is a good quality in a player but I feel Steyn is bordering on being an egomaniac wth some of his drop goal attempts. His current situation reminds me of Cipriani.Believing his own press too much.

What is it right now with all these "superstar" youngsters who have drop-goal-tourettes? Expect him to sign for Stade any minute now...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Dec 23 2008, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
My feeling on the player is he is a superbly talented guy who has just got a bit above his station. His dropping from the SA team should be the prompt needed for him to get his act together. Arrogance to a certain extent is a good quality in a player but I feel Steyn is bordering on being an egomaniac wth some of his drop goal attempts. His current situation reminds me of Cipriani.Believing his own press too much.[/b]

the reason he was dropped was because the limit of black or half cast people in the squad and janjties is considered half cast so that is why they select him instead of steyn.

No, it has nothing to do with Jantjes being the better player who doesn't waste possession by attempting ninety metre drop goals. Absolutely nothing to do with that.

Well, in the nicest possible way, whoop-de-do. Name any regular kicker worth their salt that can't land a droppie from that range these days.

I'm not saying it's remarkable (even though that is pretty damn impressive) just correcting wanksteyn... You might not be addressing me though so....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (steynboi @ Dec 23 2008, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Dec 23 2008, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My feeling on the player is he is a superbly talented guy who has just got a bit above his station. His dropping from the SA team should be the prompt needed for him to get his act together. Arrogance to a certain extent is a good quality in a player but I feel Steyn is bordering on being an egomaniac wth some of his drop goal attempts. His current situation reminds me of Cipriani.Believing his own press too much.[/b]

the reason he was dropped was because the limit of black or half cast people in the squad and janjties is considered half cast so that is why they select him instead of steyn.
[/b][/quote]
WRONG! They dont select him cos his head is stuck up his own ass.

Danny is right you know, you can't call Jantjes a quota player. Firstly because he is/was the best 15 in SA this season and secondly because Steyn doesn't even play 15! Or at least he hasn't for 2 seasons now.

Latest posts