• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Frans Steyn could be on his way to Europe...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (savundra92 @ Apr 12 2009, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Feb 3 2009, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep I'm also very glad that JDV decided to stay especially with the rumors about Schalk Burger possibly going to Saracens :wall: ,gheez how many Stormers/Wp nevermind SA players do they want???

Neil de Kock
Brent Russell
Cobus Visagie

and now Burger too

Anycase Steyn would be dumb if he doesn't go, can gain lots of experience and a fat paycheck, I'll just laugh myself to sleep if he pulls a Dan Carter on himself, goes to Europe, plays a few games and gets injured and sit out for the rest of his contract time on the side-line :p[/b]

In my opinion, with the amount of upcoming and on form backrow, I don't rate Burger world class like in the 04-05 season. He is a very good backrow with loads of skills but looking at players like Luke Watson, Pierre Spies, Ryan Kankowski Deonn Steggman, Dewald Potgieter, Duane Vermeulen, Heinrich Brussow and even Dani Rossouw, Burger will have to work for his position now because back row is a massive strength in South Africa. Maybe next season he will move to the north to get some money.

And with Steyn he should wait until he sees if he gets an opportunity to play for SA this summer before he decides to move. The fly half position could be Pienaar or him but I think he is out of centre competition with wynand olivier, JDV, jaque fourie and AD Jacobs. Fly half i think is his best chance but its not my choice to say.

and by the way whats happening with Nick Koster and Robert Ebersohn?
[/b][/quote]

I'm pleased with the progress Dewald Potgieter is showing, he was one of the best Bulls this weekend past. You could also easily add Keegan Daniel and Jean Deysel to that incredible list of loosies in SA ;) . Deysel is ahead of the pack of uncapped players in that list imo.

Anyhow, the trouble with Steyn is that he implodes under pressure. It's like clockwork. Last week against the Hurricanes he had a stormer, controlled the backs and directed play well. Thing is the Sharks were on the front foot, especially in the 2nd half, ironically when Steyn was playing his best.
Now... The game against the Cheetahs... :wall: ... He, along with the team, was put under pressure. Thing is he won't THINK, hey my team is under pressure I need to make sure I do the basics right. Instead he gets desperate to quickly, panics and then puts him and his team under pressure.
I'm not saying he was the cause of the defeat. No, the Cheetahs were the better team yesterday. But he sure didn't help the cause. It happened in the BaaBaa's game, it happened in the Reds game and it happened yesterday. He just doesn't have the temperament for flyhalf, yet. Luckily that will come with experience, technically and physical he is superb already. He must carry on at 12 for another 2 seasons at least, ALTHOUGH I think he should be playing 15!

BTW Koster got injured just before the Stormers went on their Australasian and should be back soon, while Ebersohn is playing for the SA Seven's team. Ebersohn has stated he prefers 7's from Union at the moment but is still contracted by the Cheetahs Union as far as I understand.

hahaha yeh i forgot about daniel and deysel. and thanks for telling me about koster and ebersohn i didnt know. i havent seen steyn play at fullback much. is he up
there with jantjes, kirchner and ludik etc. ?

Steyn is the most talented player on the planet. Anything to get him to mature.

A move to Munster would take him down a peg and move him up a level, but Munster don't need him. T14 just pitches him in to a pool of mercenaries.

Playing in the T14 for a few years will do him some good, if he joins the right team. Someone like Perpignan, Stade or Brive where he's not likely to be given an armchair ride but will have platform enough to show us what he can do.

Or he could join Toulouse and have Guy Noves uppercut the arrogance out of him.

I think it is odd for players to be leaving now when the worold cup is just round the corner. If Steyn improves at first five (which I think he will) he could make first choice or if he dosn't he has the utility option which puts him on the bench as he can play three positions.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Apr 13 2009, 12:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think it is odd for players to be leaving now when the worold cup is just round the corner. If Steyn improves at first five (which I think he will) he could make first choice or if he dosn't he has the utility option which puts him on the bench as he can play three positions.[/b]

Yeh but i don't think being a benchwarmer is enough for someone of steyn's ability.

I think the French T14 would be perfect for young Seaman Steyns! Its an incredibly violent proving ground where he'll either sink, swim, get eye gouged or get beaten up in the obligatory Toulon vs Stade punch up..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (savundra92 @ Apr 13 2009, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Apr 13 2009, 12:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it is odd for players to be leaving now when the worold cup is just round the corner. If Steyn improves at first five (which I think he will) he could make first choice or if he dosn't he has the utility option which puts him on the bench as he can play three positions.[/b]

Yeh but i don't think being a benchwarmer is enough for someone of steyn's ability.
[/b][/quote]
Yes but I can't see many matches where a replacment in first five, second five or full back wont take place within sixty minutes, and he would make a good impact player if he dosn't start which he well could be at a starting level before 2011.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (savundra92 @ Apr 12 2009, 11:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
hahaha yeh i forgot about daniel and deysel. and thanks for telling me about koster and ebersohn i didnt know. i havent seen steyn play at fullback much. is he up
there with jantjes, kirchner and ludik etc. ?[/b]

Anybody is better than Kirchner but nah, he hasn't played there for ages now. When he first came onto the scene he was playing 15 and looked a natural there. I personally believe that will be his position one day eventually. Just like how Monty moved around before settling there.

Latest posts