• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

French club in Super League: your opinion

P

Pylvain_USTXV

What do you think about french team in super league???
Do you think that some other french teams have their place in Super League after the results of Catalan Dragons?

I think Toulouse will get a franchise in 2009. And the Dragons have done well so I would be all for it. I think that the Super League will need to be extended to 15 or 16 teams though, I don't think 14 is enough as there are a number of teams that the RFL will definitely want in the Super League.

Because for everyone else, that's that. No top flight rugby league for at least 5 years.

if any club can prove that they deserve a place in the super league, then they should be allowed, but if french teams want in, then theyll have to work their way up through the leagues, just like every other team.

the dragons this year have proven that they can compete on the highest level of british rugby league

But the Dragons didn't have to fight their way up for the leagues - a team was relegated to accomodate them. We would need to (for once) apply some consistency.

But the Dragons didn't have to fight their way up for the leagues - a team was relegated to accomodate them. We would need to (for once) apply some consistency.
[/b]

But UTC were consistently the best team in France for a number of years in the run up to the Dragons entering super league.

i think the most astute thing catalan did was get stacey jones. i say that because he was a Warriors original from 1995. so he has 10 years experience of playing football for a club outside the country that the league is in. he knows how to deal with the extra travel etc that they would have to go through to play in the league.

He was a very good signing for them. And a big name signing was exactly what the Dragons needed as well, it's really helped things to take off.

As you can see from my signature and avatar I think a French club in the Super League is a great thing. If anything we need more of them.

Yeah, i'fd like to see another french team in SL, but it would have to be from the South of France or from a region where they play League in France, not another Paris!! Also like the League to have 16 teams, which include a Cumbrian SL team.

Jeff

Yeah, i'fd like to see another french team in SL, but it would have to be from the South of France or from a region where they play League in France, not another Paris!! Also like the League to have 16 teams, which include a Cumbrian SL team.

Jeff
[/b]

There already has been, Workington, and they were terrible.

Workington weren't given the funding needed to survive. They were dreadful in that first season, utterly awful, and there's not been sight nor sound since.

I don't think they were, but it was a dead horse anyway personlly. Wrong region of France. Bit like Quins, just not Leaguies. The RL has wasted millions on quins.

Quins do alright though, it's just getting the crowds in. Would be interested to see how their crowds have faired since they joined forced with Quins RU.

They have only done well, with the help of the RL. When SL started they had a full squad of Aussies!! and other things

I really dislike Quins more than Saints ;)

Thats half the problem, the fans are probably Union. When i lived in Kent, way back when. There was a team called Kent Invicta, who became Southend Invicta they ony had a few 100 fans, that was nearly 25 yrs ago. I wish the RL would realise that RL is a northern sport.

It is but I suppose we won't get our foot in the door unless we try - look at Sale. They aren't in Union heartland but they do alright for themselves.

Latest posts