• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

French clubs target Munster veteran with big-money move

snoopy snoopy dog dog

First XV
TRF Legend
Club or Nation
Leinster
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rug...nster-veteran-with-bigmoney-move-2351347.html

REPORTS in France claim that Ronan O'Gara is being targeted by Top 14 clubs for a switch to the continent after next year's World Cup.

The Ireland out-half has spent his entire career with Munster but the French media are reporting that the 33-year-old's CV is one of a number circulating among the Top 14 clubs, as the richest league in world rugby seeks high-profile captures after the 2011 World Cup in New Zealand.

As well as O'Gara, French clubs are investigating the possibility of signing top out-halves such as Dan Carter, Quade Cooper and James Hook -- with Carter said to be capable of commanding a salary as high as E1.2m for a three-season contract.

With a number of Ireland players out of contract at the end of the season, French clubs will be offering lucrative moves to the Top 14, although the controlled environment of the Irish set-up has the advantage of providing greater player protection.

However, the high cost of acquiring overseas stars is off-putting for some French owners -- such as Toulon president Mourad Boudjellal.

"E1.2m for Dan Carter with a contract for three seasons, is it reasonable? Everyone is wary of the cost. In the current economy of rugby, the white line is crossed," said Boudjellal.

Meanwhile, All Blacks second-row Ali Williams is said to be keen on joining Leinster or Munster on a three-month deal as he attempts to get his career back on track in time for the World Cup.

The 29-year-old has been plagued by injury over the past two seasons and won the last of his 61 caps against England in 2008.

A short-term contract in Europe between November and January would aid his rehabilitation ahead of the commencement of the Super 15 and earlier this week Williams expressed his desire for a switch to European rugby.

Associates of Williams have subsequently suggested that Leinster and Munster are on the second-row's wish-list.

Leinster's Isa Nacewa and Munster's Doug Howlett were both team-mates of Williams at the Auckland Blues -- and both provinces have second-row injury issues, with Paul O'Connell and Leo Cullen currently out of action.
- Hugh Farrelly
Looking at this coldly, O'Gara will be 34 at the end of the season and his best days have long since passed. Letting him and John Hayes leave would free up a huge amount of salary. Tony Buckley, Peter Borlase and Stephen Archer would have tighthead prop covered meaning Munster would have a lot of spare cash to tempt a big name 10 to the club next season. Quade Cooper has signed a contract with the ARU taking him upto the end of the 2011 World Cup. Just saying.........

Last edited:
Who would want a 35 year old O'Gara really? and Hayes will surely just retire. He'd hardly go abroad with the farm and family

Not sure Cooper would fit the Munster ethos.

Ian Keatly please.

As for Ali Williams coming, that would be massive for Leinster, with Hines under performing and Cullen out. i'd prefer if he didn't come to Munster, I want Ryan to get a proper run at 5.

Last edited:
I meant Hayes will retire. A 34 year old O'Gara is an average player but he's a big name. I could easily see Racing Metro, Biarritz or Perpignan bring him in for a year.

I don't expect Cooper to join Munster but it's possible. Rua Tipoki also had a shady past when he joined and he ended up being a terrific signing. Hell, even Doug Howlett fought the law before moving to Munster!

Hands off Keatley- he's Leinster's!

In O'gara's autobiography he said he would stay with Munster for he whole carer and plus why would anybody want him?

Lads van say from Munster camp 100% Williams is not coming here as we have plenty of 2nd row cover but ROG has been given something to think about and well Munster will be playing Warwick more at 10 and well are in market for a big-name 15.

O'Gara also said recently that he fancied moving to France to get involved in coaching- think it was in L'equipe. Maybe a player role for a year followed by a move into coaching is on the cards.

The Williams story is probably nonsense. It's been mentioned on the Leinster fans site recently and I'm guessing Farrelly just took it from there.

Paul Warwick is a very good player and Tony McGahan deserves a lot of credit for converting him to fullback. He'll be 30 at the start of next season and chances are that he won't improve much more as a 10. Do you think Munster can win a Heineken Cup with Warwick as signal caller? For all his talent, I don't think he's good enough. Munster would be well advised to chase a top quality flyhalf if one comes available and leave Warwick to cover 10 and battle it out with Felix Jones as starting fullback.

Warwick will be left at 10 and then after year or 2 we will bring in a big name 10 and well don't be surprised if we bring in a 10 from 6nationscountry but Williams won't be coming here either as Ryan and DOC will be perfect

If Munster stick Warwick at 10 for two years they'll be severely limiting their chances of winning trophies. Do you think Munster fan who are already unhappy with McGahan will accept that?

Graham Henry has already said Ali Williams is looking to get some game time in Europe before trying to get back in the AB's.

On a slightly different note, I'd like to believe I'm respected so highly, that my massive reputation is genuine, but the fact that snoopy snoopy dog dog has also got such a high rep as well, I know that can't be the case (jokes :p). How'd I all of a sudden get massive rep? Not complaining mind you.

Last edited:
And I have no rep :(

But Snoop on your point it not what I want but it'll be how it is because at the moment there is no stand-out 10 that seems viable unless circumstances change. I do think we can challenge with Paul there but I'd prefer an experienced 10 who's played there always and can handle pressure.

If Hook, Cooper and Carter are all off contract as is being reported, that's plenty of quality 10s to choose from. Also, as durbutter said, Ian Keatley is off contract too. Munster might need a year for him to bed in but longer term he could help Munster challenge for another 6 or 7 years.

I know everyone is after Keatley but there's no point in him moving to Leinster. What will probably be the two Irish Outhalves after the world cup at one team? Not helpfull.

Keatley is a possibility but still a work in progress and well Hook will never come to munster. Carter will stay in New Zealand for career and if he were to come it'd be to French destination. As for Quade Cooper. He won't come to munster and I doubt he'd fit bill and also on Hook I consider him a centre more than a 10 and well he won't swap Ospreys for Ireland.

Agree Keatley in future but well he still has to improve more but he'd be accepted more as I think we want an Irish 10 who is here for long term

I've two words to feic if that happened but it not that ha.
Henson can destroy a clubs morale and we certainly don't want his circus in thomond.
On a side note does anyone know why it always freezing when attending Glasgow

I'd love to see Hook coming. Munster need a class player to help the backline spark and Hook is class. Hook could even play at 12 and Deasy at 10. All Munster really need is a kicker.

Also Matt Giteux would be high up on my list of potential signings. I'm not sure Munster can compete with the French clubs for the world class players.

Personally I've never rated O'Gara and think that he is generally over rated by most people. If it was me I wouldn't want O'Gara even when he was at his peak in his late 20's let alone after the world cup when he will be undoubtedly slower and not as good. i totally agree though that as far as marketing and the promotion side of things it would be a great coup for one of the top 14 clubs in France as he is still rated as one of the best 10s in world rugby whether I agree with it or not. Also he would help with bringing new talent through as if he was to sign for a french club then he would have several world cups/Lions test and matches/Heineken Cup matches etc under his belt.
On reflection I suppose the positives outweigh the negatives as long as he doesn't cost alot of moeny to bring in, then again it seems that money is no object to the french clubs

Stephen Brett is another outside halve from NZ that may be heading to Europe/Available after the RWC. He had a clause in his contract with the Blues to get out of his contract if he doesn't get picked for the ABs, but will play for the Blues in 2011.

I'd love to see Hook coming. Munster need a class player to help the backline spark and Hook is class. Hook could even play at 12 and Deasy at 10. All Munster really need is a kicker.

Also Matt Giteux would be high up on my list of potential signings. I'm not sure Munster can compete with the French clubs for the world class players.

Deasy is a natural 12, not a 10 imo.

Latest posts