• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

French Open 2015

LiRFCMatt

Bench Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
London Irish
The French Open is upon us, not that many actually care, but it is!

I looked at it here: http://fourballsblog.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/who-will-win-french-open-2015.html

Came to the conclusion it is Djokovic's to lose, he is the best in the world, and Rafa isn't looking good. Having said that, never discount Rafa at the French, and it would be foolish to ignore a well-rested, in-form on clay Andy Murray. Should be very interesting indeed.

Yep, Rafa is playing pants at the moment, but remember he has only ever lost 1 match at Roland Garros in 10 years. The Philippe Chatrier Court is also huge and allows Rafa to stand a lot deeper to retrieve balls, which makes him that much more difficult to pass; this tactic just has not worked in the lead up tournaments this year, where the space behind the baseline is a lot tighter. Also beating Rafa over 5 sets on clay is next to impossible. So, for me he's still the favourite, despite his recent form.

Djokovic is next in line, but he like many players who never won the French (McEnroe, Becker, Edberg, Sampras) is a bit too desperate to win it to complete his career slam. I think this has affected his performance in the last two years, when he's lost to Rafa on both occasions, despite beating him soundly in the masters 1000s leading up to it. If Rafa falters, then it is Novak's ***le to lose. I don't really rate any other contenders. Ferrer is a great clay court player, but will not beat Rafa or Novak at the French, Murray, despite winning two clay court tournaments (his first ***les on clay) is being hyped up by some in the British press as a contender, but I just don't see it. He maybe playing well on clay post wedding, but Roland Garros is a different matter. He will be saving his best for the grass in any case. Federer won't win and his best chance at a slam is at Wimbledon. The other good clay court players like Fognini and Almagro are just too flaky when it matters.

Still, hopefully the French players can rise to the occasion like Monfils, Gasquet (although he chokes too often) Tsonga and Simon.

On the women's side - Serena will again be favourite, with Sharapova and maybe Kvitova as challengers. Don't know who else, as don't really follow the women's game closely anymore since Steffi retired.:(

Tennis misses Federer in his prime.

Well at he hasn't been at his absolute peak since 2006, when he won 3 slams and 12 ***les in one year. He's probably a better player now, but he's not as consistent and I've noticed a big drop off in his return of games he''s winning now compared to his peak.

Rafa v Novak in the quarters. Time for Rafa's reign to finally end?

Murray is getting better. Strange to say that about a multiple slam champ but I think his tennis now is best it has been in last few year. Novak is a machine and I'm a huge fan of his. Pity it's called until tomorrow. It was turning in to an epic battle and well I'd love if Murray won this set just so I could see a 5th where both would possibly bring the best out of eachother.

Rained off before the rain even started. Impressive! But also disappointing as it was really starting to look like a match.

Great start by Murray. If he holds serve, we are on for that 5th set lads!

Credit to Andy, he refused to bow down to Novak in sets 3 and 4 and he just became a human backboard to take it into a 5th, but i always felt it was in Novak's hands to win or lose it. Murray's game is based more about forcing his opponents to miss rather than going after the win with winners and offensive tennis. At best he can mix it up enough to beat the very best players like he did when he won the U.S. Open and Wimbledon, but not easy for him to get that mix right all the time.

Novak, well, what can you say about the guy. Surely, destined to join Roger and Rafa as the best players of this generation. Still looking forward to the final with Wawrinka and hopefully another 5 set epic.

I think Novak is clear ahead the best tennis player in the world at the moment. However, i really have a feeling Wawrinka could be a bannana skin for him. Djokovic is very strong against defensive players, but he is not so strong against very offensive players and Wawrinka is someone who can really take it to him with the power and precision of his shots. He's just got to make sure he has the accuracy and consistency.

Murray vs Djokovic felt like it was the latter's to win or lose, but this feels like Wawrinka will be the decider of where this goes.

Latest posts