• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Funniest/Wierdest thing to happen on a rugby field/training whilst playing

Today one of our flankers was preparing to make one of his "trademark" big carries when he suddenly jumped in the air; everyone presumed he was doing the hover turned out he'd suddenly developed cramp in both calves.

On the same subject, I once had somebody litteraly knocked out after having a charge down to the face in a match once, straight after I'd had a ball in the face during a pre-match kicking warm-up, hence no sympathy from me as I thought he was milking it. All the players stopped and surrounded him, and I just picked up the ball and walked slowly 50 metres and put the ball down, before the referee realised he hadn't blown his whistle and, as such, had to award me the try. It was brilliant.

I love that.

On the same subject, I once had somebody litteraly knocked out after having a charge down to the face in a match once, straight after I'd had a ball in the face during a pre-match kicking warm-up, hence no sympathy from me as I thought he was milking it. All the players stopped and surrounded him, and I just picked up the ball and walked slowly 50 metres and put the ball down, before the referee realised he hadn't blown his whistle and, as such, had to award me the try. It was brilliant.

Sportsmanship is dead. You rascal.

One of the weirdest/luckiest thing to happened to me in a u/9 rugby game. It was like our first game playing the full pitch as in u/8 we'd just play on half of the field sideways. The coach put me in at 10 and told me that my job was the pass and sometimes kick the ball, of course knowing nothing about tactics at that age I just nodded. It was bucketing down that day, it was a real sub-tropical torrential downpour. I don't remember anything else of that game except for literally the dying moments when we had a scrum 10 metres from their line. The scrummie passed the ball to me and in the heat of the moment with all the parents making a noise, I had a brain fart and kicked the ball. Realising I had a lapse in judgement I ran towards it and when I saw it coming down I closed my eyes, still running with my arms out, and in a twist of fate/luck I somehow caught the ball and fell over to score what must of been the winning try judging by the parents and coaches reactions.
The ref blew the whistle and after a few seconds of 'omg wow we won from that', a random mom from the crowd took my hand and walked me to the tuckshop that was a few metres away and bought me a chocolate lol.

Last edited:
One of the weirdest/luckiest thing to happen to me in a u/9 rugby game. It was like our first game playing the full pitch as in u/8 we'd just play on half of the field sideways. The coach put me in at 10 and told me that my job was the pass and sometimes kick the ball, of course knowing nothing about tactics at that age I just nodded. It was bucketing down that day, it was a real sub-tropical torrential downpour. I don't remember anything else of that game except for literally the dying moments when we had a scrum 10 metres from their line. The scrummie passed the ball to me and in the heat of the moment with all the parents making a noise, I had a brain fart and kicked the ball. Realising I had a lapse in judgement I ran towards it and when I saw it coming down I closed my eyes, still running with my arms out, and in a twist of fate/luck I somehow caught the ball and fell over to score what must of been the winning try judging by the parents and coaches reactions.
The ref blew the whistle and after a few seconds of 'omg wow we won from that', a random mom from the crowd took my hand and walked me to the tuckshop that was a few metres away and bought me a chocolate lol.

Well that is just poor refereeing then, as the rules in SA rugby for primary schools are that you can't kick the ball outside your own half...

Well that is just poor refereeing then, as the rules in SA rugby for primary schools are that you can't kick the ball outside your own half...

:D

Are you sure? Never heard that one before. I specifically remember us using grubbers throughout primary because our coach taught the backs grubbering techniques. I was in primary school during the 90's so maybe the rules have changed since then?

Both the weirdest things that ever happened to me was on defence at wing.

In grade 6 we played against a nearby underpriveledged school and the wing opposite me must have been at least 4 years older than he should have. I was on the line and he got the ball on the blindside off a 5m scrum and put his head down and charged. Still uncertain of how to react I realised that I was sitting on my bum and the guy had fumbled the ball after knocking himself out on my hip-bone as I was standing stright up not knowing WTF to do.

Another time a no13 who had an overlap on me caught me off-gaurd after not passing to his wing and just pushed me over as I was looking to run sideways at the wing. Going over I just grabeed upwards and unfortunately managed to get a firm grip on his jewels. He passed the ball but it was forwards and the try wasn't allowed. He played a lot less of a robust game after the incident though I did apologize.

One day in school we had a student PE teacher for rugby.Seeking to establish his authority he picked on one boy (the worst he could have picked) to answer his questions.

"You, boy" he barked "How many boys have we got here today"

The lad looked around and said "24 sir".

"And how many balls have we got?"

"48 sir" came the razor sharp reply.Everyone fell about laughing including our regular teacher who was supervising the session.

Once we had to delay the start of the second half because a group of pigs had invaded the pitch and we couldn't take them out. And I'm not referring to the opposing frontrow, they were actual pigs. The good part is that one former member of the aforementioned herd was later the main guest of tht hird half.

Towards the end of last season we were playing a tough match, close to the end of the second half they kicked the ball towards our full back(Normally a winger). Everyone on our team were shouting for him to call 'mark', the ball bounced and then he caught it and duly called 'MARK!' Now he obviously had never really understood the rule as he was now stood there thinking that he had stopped play all the while 2 burly backs were running full pelt at him. Now the expression Rabbit in headlights was apt for this situation as I have never seen anyone look so frightened in my life! Luckily Everyone shouting Run/Laughing/crying must have spurred him on and he legged it seconds away from getting smashed! Very very close call and very funny..... Needless to say he got 'Dick of the day'

A couple things happened to me actually

1) In high school, we were down 10-3 with about 3 minutes left in the match, we score a try under the posts and make the conversion to tie it up, then our opponent kicked to one of our players, who returned it all the way for the match winning try as time expired

2) The number amount of times I've come close to scoring a try for my university (as a prop) and failed to score. Possibly the most frustrating one was where my teammate, who was still learning to play the game, went down, and "released", but didn't let go of the ball, even when I tried to pick it up and practically walk it in, eventually the counterruck came and blew us off, needless to say, he got some glares from his teammates (like myself) after the match.

3) Our university team was having a Halloween match (for fun, where we play in our costumes), I picked up the ball and ran about 50m (the other team was about to let me score, since it was also my 21st birthday), as I was about to score, one of my opponents came and pushed me out of bounds. Needless to say, everyone got mad at him for that, but we all laughed in the end

Latest posts