• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gaelic football

Amobokoboko

Waikato Junglist
Country Flag
Belgium
Club or Nation
Chiefs
Had my first Gaelic football session last week and I loved it. My fitness is up to level, speed as well. Only my kicking speed needs some more attention as well as the fact that you need to close your fist when passing the ball.

When going to the session I thought it was Aussie Rules, as the president forwarded me the invitation. Anyway found an awesome sport for the summer. Might even give Hurling a shot :)

But anyway, any good tips to work on your skills as a Gaelic footballer, besides spending hours on practice ;)

Are you over on my Island ?

Well it depends what level of football you want to play ...if its Junior B what you need to do to keep with the competition is drink like a fish , learn how to throw a wild haymaker and knock lumps out of any "yang fella" who has the nerve to enter your personal space :p

But on a more serious note getting your solo right is key ...I cant kick for nuts but You will walk onto any team if you can run hard and fast at a defence breaking tackles...just handpass off to a better shot .

Well, as far as me know there is only one team in Belgium and they play against other teams from the surrounding nations finishing off in style with a trip to Ireland. I love it as it's ideal to stay fit and make new buddy's and have a drink. but I hope you understand that when you expect one sport and suddenly it(s something similar but completely different and you start in a game that there are still some question marks :)

Will work on the passing and kicking, speed and defense is ok for now. Thanks for your input.

Well, as far as me know there is only one team in Belgium and they play against other teams from the surrounding nations finishing off in style with a trip to Ireland. I love it as it's ideal to stay fit and make new buddy's and have a drink. but I hope you understand that when you expect one sport and suddenly it(s something similar but completely different and you start in a game that there are still some question marks :)

Will work on the passing and kicking, speed and defense is ok for now. Thanks for your input.
Super stuff ah I love the sport as well I find its a properly great way to keep fit as well as enjoy a good session of knocking guys around :)
How regularly do you guys play matches ? would there be many Irish over playing with you ? sorry about the questions its just I am really interested in GAA and its development abroad.

What position d'ya play LN7. I'm corner forward on last years Division 4 Dublin feile winning and current Division 3 Leaders(I'll insert more bragging later). ;)
I've been playing s*** since I moved to out half in rugby, the technique to kick a spiral on a rugby ball does not compliment kicking a football. I have recently earned myself a nickname of the knife because I slice things. :)

I don't really have a position so to speak If there is a particular person on the opposition team that is highly strung or acts the dick on the field regularly ,I usually end up marking them. However knotched up 2-4 from wing forward vs the local rivals last year so they stuck me there for the rest of the season ..sadly..

Division 4 ...bah Minor Premier all the way sonny ;)

Might even give Hurling a shot :)
Feicarsinn may just jizz in his pants
r18143_jizz%20in%20my%20pants.gif

Hurling is indeed a rather amazing game ...being as awkward as I am I cant play it worth a curse. Last time I did was in the Ghealtacht 2 years ago where I pulled across a 12 year olds ankle sending him to the nurse...never felt as bad in all my life....

I wish I'd played hurling. It's possibly the most skilled game in the world, but you have to be playin from about age 5 to be anyway good at it. Also I think years of playing golf have ruined any chance of me playing it and not looking like I have serious brain damage. :)

Lucky is your typical junior b player. A rugby player who's thrown in at centre forward or full forward to plough some fella :)

Last week there were some Irish lads playing a friendly hurling game on the edge of our cricket field. Seemed quiet relaxing. Might see if I can get to sticks and use it to play on the beach with the misses.

I think he is, I find it somewhat mind blowing how fast and skillful it is.

All I'm going to say is Hurling deserves to be a far bigger sport. Fundamentally insane and awesome, like Ice Hockey on grass.

By relaxing I was reffering to what those Irish lads were showing, just passing around, having some runs. Sun was shinning, some beers.

It's probably the most skillful game and that isn't me saying it because I'm Irish but hurling is very hard at top level and in some ways it's a shame these guys are amateur.

They were just having fun but most important, they got my attention an dnow I'm interested in this sport.
I don't know many if any Belgians who play this amazing sport.

Just wondering why this thread is called gaelic football when it's about hurling they are two different sports. Hurling is the fastest field game on Earth and played by ametuers. Which is unbelievable these guys are incredibly fit. It's mental since it's a tribal game as it's inter-county. Can cause a lot of pain getting hurt by a hurl or sliothar stings like hell.

Never heard of belgians playing it for the most part it's ex-pats and the odd Fijian (the O'Hailpin brothers) even just playing it like that on the beach requires a good amount of skill. Also I'm not sure if you'd even be able to buy a hurl in Belgium. If you're just mssing use a tennis ball instead of a sliothar trust me.

Just wondering why this thread is called gaelic football when it's about hurling they are two different sports. Hurling is the fastest field game on Earth and played by ametuers. Which is unbelievable these guys are incredibly fit. It's mental since it's a tribal game as it's inter-county. Can cause a lot of pain getting hurt by a hurl or sliothar stings like hell.

Never heard of belgians playing it for the most part it's ex-pats and the odd Fijian (the O'Hailpin brothers) even just playing it like that on the beach requires a good amount of skill. Also I'm not sure if you'd even be able to buy a hurl in Belgium. If you're just mssing use a tennis ball instead of a sliothar trust me.

Well went a bit of topic, but the Irish lads on the board could hook me up. Besides the team with whom I train also have a Hurling team so they could maybe provide me some equipment as well.

Latest posts