• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gallop has some more work to do

J

Jethro

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Greg Inglis charged with bashing lover Sally Robinson

Alleged assault...Sally Robinson and Greg Inglis. Source: The Daily Telegraph
THE career of Melbourne Storm superstar Greg Inglis was last night in turmoil after his arrest over the alleged assault of his girlfriend.

Sally Robinson was left with black eyes, the legacy of an alleged attack by the Queensland and Kangaroos star.

Inglis was last night stood down indefinitely by Storm chief executive Brian Waldron as the stellar club prepares for another finals campaign.

"The Melbourne Storm is vehemently opposed to any situation that in any way endangers the health, safety and wellbeing of any woman," Mr Waldron said.

"The club has taken a strong stance in the past towards behaviour of this type and will continue to do so."

Inglis is regarded as one of the world's finest players.

But his glittering career has hit a major hurdle with the allegations that led to police arresting him at his Altona Meadows home in Melbourne's western suburbs yesterday.

Inglis, 22, was later questioned by officers at Altona North police station and charged, before being given bail.

He will face counts of recklessly causing injury and unlawful assault in Sunshine Magistrates' Court tomorrow. Inglis was also served with an intervention order, forcing him to stay away from Ms Robinson.

The incident allegedly occurred in the early hours of Sunday morning.

"Clearly this is a very serious matter," NRL chief executive David Gallop told The Daily Telegraph.

"While we're waiting for further details from Melbourne, there are some things for which there can be no justification. Our counselling services will be made available to the woman and, of course, Greg."

The couple arrived separately at the home yesterday, two blackened eyes visible on the face of Ms Robinson.

She appeared to be trying to hide the injuries behind her hair as she got out of her car.

Storm chief executive officer Brian Waldron arrived at the home soon after, before leaving with a document.

Another official drove Ms Robinson away 30 minutes after she arrived.

She wore sunglasses and did not want to talk about the events that had led to her being injured.

Inglis was also tight-lipped about why police had questioned him earlier in the day, leaving the home at 5.30pm.

Inglis was awarded the Wally Lewis Medal for best player in this year's State of Origin defeat of NSW.

The arrest comes in the shadows of the finals and is another episode in a wretched off-field year for the sport.

Clubs and the code's administrators have become increasingly intolerant of the bad off-field behaviour, issuing suspensions and fines on those who shame the game.

In May last year, Storm officials cleared Inglis of any wrongdoing after allegations he was involved in a Good Friday brawl were aired on radio.[/b]

Actually feel sorry for the NRL management they can't go a week without another flare up. :huh:

I don’t feel sorry for the NRL

This has been brewing for a while and it’s the lack of proactivity which sees the sport as it is now off the field â€" which is diabolical

This kind of stuff has been going on for decades, and only in the last 10, have victims spoke out against the players, and has the media had an agenda to run with it.

Deadset after Coffs Harbour Gallop should have put a massive message to the players and some form of official critieria to keep your contract….like if ur charged and prosecuted your terminated, and while police investigate your stood down indefinitely

Gallops continous push to make the clubs punish the players internally, has created a bias across the league in the perception of whats right v whats wrong v what should we punish are own players

The NRL should be punishing these players, because we all know the clubs wont punish there star players, yet will punish the crap players.

I see 2009 as a massive Egg of Gallops face, as the 2 star players he chose as the face of the NRL â€" ARE THE WRONG PLAYERS TO CHOOSE

Its what happens when you go for the gloss and get no reward.

Players like Tongue, wings, Menzies, Price â€" should be the faces of the NRL, not the lastest young hormone enraged teen that’s making meters on the field, and robbing parking meters off it in drunk stoopers.

When u pick some to be the image of the product â€" with the utmost care, you pick the right people â€" Gallop has failed this, like he failed to to punish the bulldogs in coffs, and now we have a breed of players that play on Saturdays, and get drunk whenever they can and cause public ruccuss.

It is the NRL’s duty of care to disclipline and educate its employees when they drag them away from their families (whom would normally do it) at the tender ages at 15 â€" They are brought into a club full of grown men, with massive testosterone levels, massive will to get pasted on the turps and lack of decorum…and the young kid at 15 see’s what he is gonna be in 10 years, and today is what u get….i mean Fittler was this kid 20yrs ago, and now he gets in the trouble in hotels â€" first coach ever!!

Everyone like Inglis â€" seems to be drunk when all this sh*t happens.....i know it’s a select few that bring it down for all â€" but its happening too much these days, something gotto change……….

Gallop â€" the door is thay way â€" you did well â€" saved the game when it was split comps, and made the NRL â€" the product we see on the field is great, but it cant survive with all this off-field dramas, sponsorship will be pulled â€" put some resources in educating the players, help them become citizens, not animals in jail when their career is over

2 men should be fired from the nrl - TODAY

Greg Inglis - someone gotto be made an example so this all stops
David Gallop - the idiot that slaps offenders on the wrist for over 10 years and now everyones doing it

Whats Gallop got to do with this. He is a news limited lackey/spokesmen for the NRL. News Limited Papers like the Daily Telegraph rubbish the game they own, so it devalues the games TV rights contract. He's not doing a good job because.. he's not doing anything!! It aint hard to speak in front of a camera for 400k a year saying "I'm outraged". The dud undervalued the last tv contract. Gallops a man with news limited agendas.

What a terrible situation for the game to be in, half owned by a Media organisation.

exactly dale, and its this which brings us to this predicament
i am sick of gallops same ole retoric - how many times does this need to happen before something is done
as for news ltd - well what a bunch of farktards - rubbish the game they partly own
they promised last week the back page of the tele would be NRL scandal free for the rest of the season
but the f*ckwits then put this on the front page of the whole paper of 3 states
i have not once seen Gallop criticised this year - the game is in terrible shape from a reputational side of things - and its because they employ gallop to run the comp they wont say anything bad about him.
you see, this bad press they come up with undervalues the game - which has an enormous domino effect
rating stats last season shows the NRL is way more viewed on foxsports than the AFL - yet the current TV deal is like comparing a maccas salary to a google one when put up against the AFL deal.
We need a fresh overhaul from TV to ownership to the board...the actual current deal is disgraceful - google it, and compare the ratings - there numerous articles on this, that the NRL rates better on TV than all other codes, yet has the smallest piece of the pie.
i recall a saturday night of NRL (triple header), out rated the whole round of the S14.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Aug 11 2009, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i recall a saturday night of NRL (triple header), out rated the whole round of the S14.[/b]

Quite possibly, we hold John O'Neill entirely responsable for the deplorable lack of free to air options for union. There's a game that's sold itself out to the highest media bidder and now finds the traditional fan base eroding (witness the drop off in subbies teams year to year). As more than one commentator has remarked in NZ the game is in trouble due to over exposure in that country, how about some exposure in Oz O'Neill?

ak47 didn't the raiders sack a high profile player for bing drinking and then smacking his missuss?

correct - Flying Fijian - Noa Nandruku

Was sent packing after smashing his missus, whilst 20 odd beers full.

He was on his last legs anyhow, but yeah, it was anti-climax to a good career

Legacy tarnished - He deadset put a number on her -hospitalised i think

Maybe if a few more clubs took action they could sort this sooner rather than later, looking at you Manly.

the NRL must act, the clubs havent acted properly in the last 20years, and its the situation we find ourselves in

Inglis will be saved - u can tell from Waldrons comments, he is emphasising not everyone is going to be happy, but they wish to be looked upon as a club that treats and upholds womens values as a #1 priority

Basically saying between the lines - Inglis will not be fired, and not firing him is not an act of ignorance towards the situation - Well it is Waldron u gimp.

Another one doesnt bite the dust, which means more to come!

Calm down AK47, it's just allegations at the moment. Foxtel is a news limited product - the reason why the scum wanted to take over the game in 1995 was because of RL's value to pull in more subscribers. They didn't care about the game itself, well noted by the kicking out of Norths and Souths.

So News Limited raped the game 13 years ago, then signs a contract with the ARL to get $10-20million a year for 20 years from the NRL to make up for their losses in super league. Why should the current game suffer for News Limiteds actions? This is why people who feel sorry for Gallop or think he is a good leader have NFI.

Jethro you're right about union getting bugger all FTA coverage, it's killing the game here.

Justing reading Roy Masters take on things, holy cow didn't know News Ltd owned 50% of the Storm and want out of the deal. Anyone want to buy a franchise, apparently running at a $4 million a year loss :eek: John O'Neill please take note, Melbourne is an AFL town through and through.

Maybe if the Storm go bum up it will give the extra push to have the Central Coast Bears in next season ;) Great stadium folks.

Anywise Roy is normally backing the NRL but you can tell he's biting his tongue with the article.

Dale on the Central Coast mate, getting real ****** off at the lack of rugger coverage .... surely late night delayed S14 isn't much to ask for?

Free-to-air sports is dead, and started to die about a decade ago

USA and European sports all turned to foxtel like providers where ur viewing was paid for…….its only normal for Australia to follow suit…sport is a business now and $$ talks.

By the way the triple header of NRL I was talking about was on Fox sports so it was in the same field of household availability.

Roy Masters article is very interesting

Allegations they are, but he has been charged, and arrested and I don’t see him parading his innocence or an outcry for extortion â€" he is in trouble.

Also his parents weren’t there….its been heralded Inglis cant go a period of time without someone supervising him…most of the time its his parents â€" they moved from Bowraville to be with him in Melbourne, so he would NOT drift off with the Bowraville type and drink petrol….his folks went away for a week to the Gong, and then he gets arrested…..clearly he still needs guidance, just like 85% of the kids in the comp when they are separated from their families â€" sadly gallop has ignored this, and now the problem is soo big, its come down to a big fall, from arguably one of the most devastating talents in the game

Jethro I am a North Sydney Bears fan, hopefully the Bears get in the next few years. One of the great news limited concepts - Bring in a criteria for a 14 team comp. Kill all Sydney teams, mainly the foundation clubs that stayed loyal to the ARL, but the news limited Storm survive the criteria over North Sydney and Souths.

AK I agree with you but.. having 3 NRL games a week on nine gets people into the game who don't have foxtel, union ignored this and their is a lack of coverage. AFL gets more games on FTA in QLD and NSW FFS.

I've never quite understood why Nine don't have at least one NRL match on Saturday afternoon or night. Apologies if they've tried to get rights for another game and failed, but I can't see why they'd let themselves miss out on the market so easily.

As for union on FTA...I can't remember the last time I watched a Wallabies match on Seven over Foxtel, and for one reason - the commercials. I'd rather listen to the Seven commentary team than the Foxtel commentary team, but I can't put up with the ads, regardless of who's commentating.

And on the young kids getting pulled away from their parents and thrown in the deep end - would the American college system work better? In theory, I'd think so, but unfortunately, most universities in Australia don't really have the funds or facilities to maintain all the sports (because there'd be plenty of sports that end up wanting in if it takes off - Division 1 colleges in the US run 15+ sports). But at least it'd help give the young lads some sort of an education and a little bit of guidance, and they'll be a bit more mature before they get to the bigtime.

good point skittles on the us college theory
i reckon ur on the money there

individually - we have all grown up, so we can relate to those years of 16-22, most people i know would admit those years to be the most turbulent in regards to alcohol consumption, risk taking and ill discipline - which normally leads to erratic behaviour

Has anyone been to bowraville? - I can tell you its one of the scariest places in the world - its been neglected somewhat, and growing up there for GI would have been tough....i call it a miracle he made it to rugby league - a deadset miracle he got through the teen years on the right track, because 99% of the people in that town dont make it out.

He is in the position to influence and make changes to his community and people - and he can do it, but still needs guidance, he is still 16 upstairs, made a BIG mistake - perhaps this is the wake up call he needed within himself to be able to relate even moreso to the people he will help as a social worker (what he is studying)....

In 20 years time, he can look back at how it all nearly fell apart, and tell others going along the same path of social destruction, how he got thru it all, so they can also.

I am not going to listen to a guide that hasnt been there - done that!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Aug 12 2009, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Jethro I am a North Sydney Bears fan, hopefully the Bears get in the next few years. One of the great news limited concepts - Bring in a criteria for a 14 team comp. Kill all Sydney teams, mainly the foundation clubs that stayed loyal to the ARL, but the news limited Storm survive the criteria over North Sydney and Souths.[/b]

Also a Bears supporter back in the North Sydney days. They are trying to get the franchise back up and running on the Coast, but naturally since it might run at a profit the NRL aren't overly interested :rolleyes:

ak47 still think there's a lot of room for free to air coverage, ABC 2 covering Pac Nations Cup for example. Pushing it all to pay to view is putting it out of fans reach imho.

Latest posts