• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Game of Thrones Discussion [SPOILERS]

Aye they turning into Star Wars fans....worst part is people I respect (who dunked on the Star Wars fans) are part of the whinyness.

The amount of shows that ended 'well' are exceptions rather than rules, for me to even watch something to the end is a rareity.

Still nothing they can do can be as shite as the of 'How I Met Your Mother' where they had written the ending years before and then had to trash years of character development and growth so they could get to the proscribed ending....

Aye they turning into Star Wars fans....worst part is people I respect (who dunked on the Star Wars fans) are part of the whinyness.

The amount of shows that ended 'well' are exceptions rather than rules, for me to even watch something to the end is a rareity.

Still nothing they can do can be as shite as the of 'How I Met Your Mother' where they had written the ending years before and then had to trash years of character development and growth so they could get to the proscribed ending....

That's exactly what they are doing with with GOT, wasn't that the thing, before GRRM would sign over the rights they had to work out/guess how it would end. Fair enough but GRRM hadn't even worked out how to get there exactly and so D&D followed the books (loosely) until they ran out and then just set a straight line to the end

Shows I think ended well off the top of my head:

Breaking Bad,
The Sopranos
Frasier.
Boardwalk Empire.

That's exactly what they are doing with with GOT, wasn't that the thing, before GRRM would sign over the rights they had to work out/guess how it would end. Fair enough but GRRM hadn't even worked out how to get there exactly and so D&D followed the books (loosely) until they ran out and then just set a straight line to the end
No because whilst there is a definite we have decided X position is the end those ends are natural ways for those characters to evolve and grow. The problem has been forcing that growth within a limited time frame. HIMYM on the other hand did this SPOILERS for HIMYM below

HIMYM had a simple premise Bob Saget is essentially relaying to his children the story of his post College years until he met the ***ular mother. The basic premise being how he grew as a person and life he had this very identifiable to people like myself who finished University at the age of 22 but didn't meat my wife until I was 28, those six years are actually quite important in my life. In the first few seasons we'd see reactions speaking from his kids however it was clear this framing would fail to continue working as they'd grow too old as the show went on. Reaction shots were used in later series but for the last episode they secretly filmed essentially the end of the show. In the show Ted (the father) at the time was having a romance with 'Aunt Robyn' and this was going well so they came up with an ending that they'd break up sometime during the show and the actual show was about the ***ular mother having died and Ted being able to move on and date Aunt Robyn. This would of been a great ending for the show had they done it roughly the time Ted and Robyn broke up.

The problem was the show was immensely popular and required roughly 5 more seasons of storytelling beyond that point. Barney another character got with Robyn and actually had a great romance with Robyn, both characters grew and they were essentially perfect for each other and the ENTIRE last season was based around the weekend of their wedding. This season also introduced the mother whom went down pretty well with the audiences. So in the very last episode they killed of the mother and essentially said despite multiple seasons of investment with the Barney/Robyn relationship said they split up years later just so they could prescribed ending based on a relationship the audience and the characters of the show had moved on from.

Shows I think ended well off the top of my head:

Breaking Bad,
The Sopranos
Frasier.
Boardwalk Empire.
I was never super keen on Breaking Bad and never felt that invested to care enough if it was good or bad but I did watch it all.

Fraiser did end superbly.
I think Friends ended well.
Star Trek: TNG has probably the best series finale of any TV show.
Star Trek: DS9 has a great ending and had a mixture of pantser/plotter styles and benefited huge from it. But the episode isn't perfect by any stretch but it does end and ends well for those characters.

Soprano's, Boardwalk Empire and House all had the same problem the leads became so irredeemable in my eyes I couldn't watch them anymore so haven't seen their ends.

I was never super keen on Breaking Bad and never felt that invested to care enough if it was good or bad but I did watch it all.

Fraiser did end superbly.
I think Friends ended well.
Star Trek: TNG has probably the best series finale of any TV show.
Star Trek: DS9 has a great ending and had a mixture of pantser/plotter styles and benefited huge from it. But the episode isn't perfect by any stretch but it does end and ends well for those characters.

Soprano's, Boardwalk Empire and House all had the same problem the leads became so irredeemable in my eyes I couldn't watch them anymore so haven't seen their ends.

Loved BB. The story arc of WW becoming a monster is exactly what GOT did not do; yeah it was neatly tied up in the end, but it was very satisfying. It was on at the same time as Dexter and criticism of the final season of that show feels very similar to what is being levelled at GOT i.e. it had been rushed.

Sopranos ending was very original. But yeah like with any Mafia/gangster story i.e. same as Boardwalk Empire it's never going to end well. Like Narcos and the true story of Pablo Escobar. These characters are irredeemable.

You can make it work but like a lot of those shows there is usually a point where the character just does something they can't go back on. I think with The Soprano's it was the realisation the therapy was just for show and he was literally never going to get 'better'.

Yeah that's dumb,
I'm not a big fan of the direction it's gone but crying to get it remade is ridiculous
Just read the books and stfu

You can make it work but like a lot of those shows there is usually a point where the character just does something they can't go back on. I think with The Soprano's it was the realisation the therapy was just for show and he was literally never going to get 'better'.

Well, Tony Soparano had numerous chances to change his ways, but chose not to, despite the Therapy; I don't think it was one point. I think the Therapy was just a ruse so we could get inside Tony's head.

Anyway, the problem with GOT is that we just don't have that insight into Dany's head and motivation of why she suddenly turns in that instance in that last episode to burn all of KL and this where the books are really needed. Yeah there were instances in previous seasons where she burned people, but there always seemed to be a reason for it - the slave master of the Unsullied, the Tarlys for not bending the knee and of course Varys for betraying her.

But innocent women, men and children of King's Landing, who have not had the chance to bend the knee are killed because she now wants to rule by fear and they were dispensable for this cause because she learnt that ruling for the good of the people won't work and she is a Dragon ???? I suppose we have been led so far to believe she was the hero and this is the big shock for fans to keep in line that GOT needs another twist and GRRM never intended for this to end well.

And Dexter

Umm, can't agree on that one. The last season of Dexter was bad IMO. Should have left it at the end of s4 and Trinity. Still I didn't hate seasons 5 and 6, but seasons 7 and 8 were when it really lost it for me as a fan. Before then I absolutely loved the show and the darkness of Dexter.

Last edited:
GRRM definitely struggles to finish things and would rather start a new project than finish the one fans want. With that said I think he could sell what this series has become a lot better through the books. Characters like Young Griff add a lot of sense to the books in my opinion and were way too big plot points to be skipped. I would have sympathy for D&D's position GRRM left them in if they hadn't rushed so massively towards the ending.
Stuff like Dany going mad is rooted in logic to some sense, but foreshadowing is not character development. She's had her mad moments, but flipping her principles on a dime is just not believable. If she had her hand actually forced into a massive flame genocide and then became a monster I would get it, but it's literally just for shits and giggles and because some bloody bells push her over the edge.

GRRM definitely struggles to finish things and would rather start a new project than finish the one fans want. With that said I think he could sell what this series has become a lot better through the books. Characters like Young Griff add a lot of sense to the books in my opinion and were way too big plot points to be skipped. I would have sympathy for D&D's position GRRM left them in if they hadn't rushed so massively towards the ending.
Stuff like Dany going mad is rooted in logic to some sense, but foreshadowing is not character development. She's had her mad moments, but flipping her principles on a dime is just not believable. If she had her hand actually forced into a massive flame genocide and then became a monster I would get it, but it's literally just for shits and giggles and because some bloody bells push her over the edge.

Me and my mate were talking about this the other day. Maybe something like as everyone is surrendering she goes straight for the Red Keep and Cersei. Blows the **** out of it...setting off a chain reaction of wildfire that decimates the city, becoming the Mad Queen who blew up King Landing in the peoples eyes, and Jons...

Me and my mate were talking about this the other day. Maybe something like as everyone is surrendering she goes straight for the Red Keep and Cersei. Blows the **** out of it...setting off a chain reaction of wildfire that decimates the city, becoming the Mad Queen who blew up King Landing in the peoples eyes, and Jons...
I think they should of had her being goaded into it by having Cersi string up the bodies of the dragon and Missandie. You could've had the people in KL taunting them, abusing them etc and that ****** her off

72 but some were pure guesses (the ones about actors and the such, none story based ones)

Got the Varys one wrong as well, counted one extra

Latest posts