• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Game's Official 100 Greatest games of all Time.

@ BLR. I only ever played VII and onwards. I loved them all, because it's a game that gets you emotionally involved. They are not Shite at all. Maybe they are not as good for some as the older ones, but that doesn't mean they are crap. They are still leagues above most games.[/b]
Trust me, play some of the older ones, the graphics are dated but the games are brilliant. Around 6 and 7 FF started exploding and they moved into making the looks super important and started adding layer of layer of complexity (and tediousness) to the FF series. 6 downwards were simple, your players could be a variety of 'classes' and the stories were long and engaging. No spending 20 minutes going back through the game world to find a particular spell or whatever, twas fantastic.

Trust me, play some of the older ones, the graphics are dated but the games are brilliant. Around 6 and 7 FF started exploding and they moved into making the looks super important and started adding layer of layer of complexity (and tediousness) to the FF series. 6 downwards were simple, your players could be a variety of 'classes' and the stories were long and engaging. No spending 20 minutes going back through the game world to find a particular spell or whatever, twas fantastic.[/b]

I might look into them. I spent 100 hours on Final Fantasy VIII just trying to do every side quest and level my characters to the max. One thing that i will agree on is the X and X-2 were horrible, and a disgrace to the FF name. But Final Fantasy XII, is one of the best games i have ever played.

Oh, i forgot, if anyone has a PS2, you guys have to try out Shadow of the Colossus and ICO. The ingenuity and scale of those games are magnificent. Truly some of the greatest experiences ever...

I might look into them. I spent 100 hours on Final Fantasy VIII just trying to do every side quest and level my characters to the max. One thing that i will agree on is the X and X-2 were horrible, and a disgrace to the FF name. But Final Fantasy XII, is one of the best games i have ever played.[/b]
You will find up to FF6 using a Snes emulator.

Isn't X-2 and XII the same game?

Isn't X-2 and XII the same game?[/b]

Ha Ha. No. A common misconception... X-2 is Final Fantasy X the sequal.

Final Fantasy XII is Final Fantasy 12. A whole new game with a new battle engine and everything. It's fantastic... Check the reviews man.

What is so good about the battle system in 12?.

I stopped playing FF games after 10, give me a good reason to go buy a copy out of the bargain bin.

I must say my attention span has waned over the last few years and find myself one of the "casual" type fans that nintendo hooked, but try and convince me to give it a crack.

I must be the only one who finds Final Fantasy less exciting then an excel spreadsheet.

What is so good about the battle system in 12?.[/b]

It's not turn based. It's real-time. Which makes it a lot more fun, and a lot more difficult. Battles are also more intense. :). It's also a much darker story, and great gameplay too.

Final Fantasy is not a game you play for "fun" - If you want that, then GTA is the way to go. It's an experience. The game is a massive story that unravels with you at the center of it all. I think a lot of people hate Final Fantasy because they are either too stupid, arrogant or lazy to actually give it a try, which is sad. Don't you think there is a reason why no Final Fantasy has ever had a bad rating???

I got hooked on RPGs way back on the commodore 64. I just liked the whole idea of fighting monsters with various weapons and magic and levelling up by fighting lots of different monsters, what can I say other than I love RPGs and most of the Final Fantasy games are the best I have ever played.

What genres do you prefer Teh Mite?.

No GTA has ever had a bad rating either, yet San Andreas sucked big donkey dick. For that matter, no Gran Turismo has ever had a bad rating, yet their nothing but tech demos with ****-poor, repetitive and unrealistic gameplay.

What is so good about the battle system in 12?.[/b]

It's not turn based. It's real-time. Which makes it a lot more fun, and a lot more difficult. Battles are also more intense. :) . It's also a much darker story, and great gameplay too.

Final Fantasy is not a game you play for "fun" - If you want that, then GTA is the way to go. It's an experience. The game is a massive story that unravels with you at the center of it all. I think a lot of people hate Final Fantasy because they are either too stupid, arrogant or lazy to actually give it a try, which is sad. Don't you think there is a reason why no Final Fantasy has ever had a bad rating??? [/b]

Maybe the change of battle system turned me off it. I think I'll go have a look at it in action on youtube and see if that can convince me to give it a go.

I got hooked on RPGs way back on the commodore 64. I just liked the whole idea of fighting monsters with various weapons and magic and levelling up by fighting lots of different monsters, what can I say other than I love RPGs and most of the Final Fantasy games are the best I have ever played.

What genres do you prefer Teh Mite?. [/b]

Oh, I'll give an RPG a chance (KOTOR, Shenmue & Fallout spring to mind), but Japanese, tentacle raping schoolgirl RPGs like FF or Skies of Arcadia do nothing for me.

FPS (EG Halo), Sport (Rugby 08, Fifa), Adventure (Full Throttle), Arcade (1942), fun-Racing (none of this GT/Forza ******** thank you, how about Burnout/Outrun/NFS/Test Drive), Combat sims (UFC, Virtua Fighter) and arcade beat-em-ups (Sould Calibur, Street Fighter) are my choice.

No GTA has ever had a bad rating either, yet San Andreas sucked big donkey dick. For that matter, no Gran Turismo has ever had a bad rating, yet their nothing but tech demos with ****-poor, repetitive and unrealistic gameplay.
[/b]

Geez. Settle down. Everyone is entitled to an opinion AS LONG AS YOU HAVE PLAYED IT. You can't tell me it's crap when you have never played one through. You can't read 4 pages of a 1000 page book and think that gives you the right to say whether it's crap or not.

If you don't like it, deal with it. But that doesn't mean it's ****.

PS. Dog poo>>>>>>>Halo 2

Wouldn't know, never played Halo 2 past the first chapter.

Anyway, I have played FF8 (finished it) so I am qualified to criticize! The story was, well, poorly written and predictable. The plot twist of "OMG you're all family!!!" was about as exciting as... It wasn't, The cut scenes were...Well actually the FMVs were pretty good. The Ballroom dancing was the only exciting part of the whole game. The battles were repetitive and I never actuially felt any empathy for the characters while they stod there crying about their past in a mannor to make even the most die-hard Linkin Park EMO fan become irritated.

And the ending made no sense.

By the time I finished it the game had become a choir. I only played it through because I'd already lost so many hours to it, I thought "the ending MUST be worth it!". I was wrong.

Anyway, I have played FF8 (finished it) so I am qualified to criticize![/b]

Well that means you sat through at least 60 hours of playing it. Then how could it have been boring if you just carried on and on with it? Unless..... Who is the final battle against? .....

*Weakest link music plays...*

Anyway, I have played FF8 (finished it) so I am qualified to criticize![/b]

Well that means you sat through at least 60 hours of playing it. Then how could it have been boring if you just carried on and on with it? Unless..... Who is the final battle against? .....

*Weakest link music plays...* [/b]

Some giant dragon/witch thing with a bazillion hit points to wipe out. It's been years since I got through it, so don't ask me names!

Anyway, it looks like I'd clarified that just as you quoted it, so

Anyway, I have played FF8 (finished it) so I am qualified to criticize! The story was, well, poorly written and predictable. The plot twist of "OMG you're all family!!!" was about as exciting as... It wasn't, The cut scenes were...Well actually the FMVs were pretty good. The Ballroom dancing was the only exciting part of the whole game. The battles were repetitive and I never actuially felt any empathy for the characters while they stod there crying about their past in a mannor to make even the most die-hard Linkin Park EMO fan become irritated.

And the ending made no sense.

By the time I finished it the game had become a choir. I only played it through because I'd already lost so many hours to it, I thought "the ending MUST be worth it!". I was wrong. [/b]

I give up. You are as hard to please as a nymphomaniac elephant having sex with a mosquito it seems. <_<

I think we should have our own TRF top ten games of all time list... Does anyone agree with me? >.>

I think we should have our own TRF top <strike>ten</strike> twenty games of all time list... Does anyone agree with me? >.>[/b]

Not bad. Could cause some conflict. . . But sweet. I'm in!

Latest posts