Gareth Baber and Justin Burnell in charge of Blues

Getofmeland

The Dorset Drinker
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Bath
Dai Young's former assistants at Cardiff Blues, Gareth Baber and Justin Burnell, have been placed in charge of the team.
The move comes in the wake of Young's decision to take over at English Premiership club Wasps.
Paul ***o continues as captain while Blues chief Robert Norster confirmed they are involved in legal action over compensation for Young's move.
But Baber and Burnell's positions will be reviewed after the 2011 World Cup.

Read the rest of the article on BBC Sport

Not a very popular choice amongst the Blues fans.

Its a cost cutting measure with a get out clause after the RWC. There were options out there but instead Thomas and Co have gone with two coaches that have hardly set alight the Blues over the last couple of seasons or so.

Pah, where's the vision at the Blues? I don't see how they're gonna change things in the same way Holley and Humph changed nothing at the O's. New ideas and impetus were needed after what was a shocking season for the Blues. If they drop Parks I'll be a little happier though.

Sadly Baber loves Parks and believes the entire game goes through him.

This deal for the Blues is another project one I feel much like Young was. I think it was now or never for the Blues, Dai has assembled some talent in that squad that could compete but with Burnell and Baber in charge I don't see us moving forward.

:(

I may well be hoping that the Blues have a terrible start to the season, and a propper coach is draughted in post WC then.

I feel the same as you Cymro. Blues have a decent squad, only really lacking a top quality fly-half and fullback (with Blair injured/retired?), and lacking a little depth in places. The starting 15 is quality though when everyone is fit, and there is some exciting talent coming through (Fish, Cook, Harry Robinson, Lloyd Williams). The Blues needed a big season to draw in the fans, make some money and lure in a couple of big signings to really kick on to better things. Depending on injuries, I can only see them challenging in the Magners, as they're squad simply isn't able to compete with the Tolouses, Leinsters and Toulons in the Heineken now that they've lost the likes of Nicky Robinson, Tom Shanklin and Ben Blair.

A big season from their experienced players, such as Gethin Jenkins, ***o, Rush, Roberts and Laulala could drag them to some good results. Shifting Halfpenny to fullback, or developing Fish would also help. But nothing will really change if Parks is retained at 10. He doesn't suit the Blues style, who work best when they can get that excellent centre partership and skillful back 3 into the game, not kick for the corners and take drop goals at every opportunity. Sweeney, despite being an average player, would be 10 times better!

Really am dissapointed. Hope to be prooven wrong, but can't see it happening.

Questions must also be asked why has Thomas included a review in the coaches contract after the Rugby World Cup, to me it signals that Thomas has little faith in these two and was the reports that there were a few people interested really interested or just spin?

Latest posts