• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gareth Davies: European club league interests WRU chairman

snoopy snoopy dog dog

First XV
TRF Legend
Club or Nation
Leinster
Welsh Rugby Union chairman Gareth Davies would like to see a European club league set up in the future.
Full article here: http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/35386082

First time I've seen a representative from one of the Unions speak about it. Only way it works is if Union's and clubs co-operate but I think long term, it will happen. It's the easiest way to expand the game in Europe (WorldRugby's goal) and grow commercial revenue (what club owners are primarily interested in).

Word, Brother Snoopy, word.

I think it will happen eventually for those reasons.

Full article here: http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/35386082

First time I've seen a representative from one of the Unions speak about it. Only way it works is if Union's and clubs co-operate but I think long term, it will happen. It's the easiest way to expand the game in Europe (WorldRugby's goal) and grow commercial revenue (what club owners are primarily interested in).

What Unions are primarily interested in too as well.

What Unions are primarily interested in too as well.
+1.

Tier 1 nations are motivated by money hence the game hasn't grown as much as it should have by now. If Unions and clubs work together they can prosper together. It takes the top clubs realizing that it's more prosperous for them to become less dominant on the field in return for greater richer and the Unions realizing that clubs aren't the enemy and deserve a fair say in the running of the sport in Europe.

I can't see English clubs going for it, just because this sort of thing would require a vote from the clubs to dispand the Premiership and why would the bottom 6-8 clubs vote to have the top 4-6 off in the big leagues while they fade away into obscurity?
I presume that they'd implement relegation/promotion, but clubs are struggling as it is - put Sale or Irish or Newcastle in a 2nd tier comp and they'd die.

I can't see English clubs going for it, just because this sort of thing would require a vote from the clubs to dispand the Premiership and why would the bottom 6-8 clubs vote to have the top 4-6 off in the big leagues while they fade away into obscurity?
I presume that they'd implement relegation/promotion, but clubs are struggling as it is - put Sale or Irish or Newcastle in a 2nd tier comp and they'd die.
If it was a model with promotion and relegation, they likely wouldn't vote for it. If it was a vote for potentially more money and a guaranteed place in a European League split into conferences and contested by 30-40 teams they probably would.

Not sure if it would be financially viable for teams like Leicester TBH.

Done right there's more money there, pure and simple. Selling TV rights to all of Europe will be more than can be got from England alone.

Couldn't see the Irish teams going into it.

I personally wouldn't like it as it would eventually end up with Irish teams to be owned by private owners and we would have a complete screw up like the Top 14 and much of the Premiership, in terms of them buying whoever they want and not promoting indigenous youth.

Couldn't see the Irish teams going into it.

I personally wouldn't like it as it would eventually end up with Irish teams to be owned by private owners and we would have a complete screw up like the Top 14 and much of the Premiership, in terms of them buying whoever they want and not promoting indigenous youth.
Bugger off. 70% of the league is English and is run very well thanks.

Just because the league has got active and challenge the status quo to detriment of the celts that doesn't make them the enemy. It's merely served to show that the Pro 12 financially in it's current form isn't viable.

Well the Welsh would want it but they would have to combine all their sides and play as Wales to make any impact.....after this European competition, one would have to say the same for Ireland and Scotland!!

What would the French and English clubs gain fro this?

Men's appendages to that idea!!!

Bugger off. 70% of the league is English and is run very well thanks.

Just because the league has got active and challenge the status quo to detriment of the celts that doesn't make them the enemy. It's merely served to show that the Pro 12 financially in it's current form isn't viable.

In the Wasps v Leinster game, 8 starters were foreign.
In the Sarries v Toulouse game, 8 starters were foreign.
In the Bath v Toulon game, 5 starters were foreign.
How did England do in the RWC?

Obviously England is nowhere near as bad as the Top14. France has god knows how many foreigners playing in their club sides and their national team is a shambles.

In the Wasps v Leinster game, 8 starters were foreign.
In the Sarries v Toulouse game, 8 starters were foreign.
In the Bath v Toulon game, 5 starters were foreign.
How did England do in the RWC?

Obviously England is nowhere near as bad as the Top14. France has god knows how many foreigners playing in their club sides and their national team is a shambles.

Who cares? The club scene in England and France is fantastic!

In the Wasps v Leinster game, 7 starters were homegrown.
In the Sarries v Toulouse game, 7 starters were homegrown.
In the Bath v Toulon game, 10 starters were homegrown.
How did every country apart from New Zealand do in the RWC?

Obviously foreign countries are nowhere near as bad as the European cup countries......

Latest posts