• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gary Gold leaving Worcester at end of the season

Sixways Cheryl

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Worcester
A massive blow for us & an undoubted coup for the USA national side where he will be heading.

Have to wonder how the players are going to react to this going forward? DoR leaving, the club up for sale, bottom of the league, falling attendances... the optimism that we came into the season with has well and truly been extinguished. For the rest of the season it's about scraping together enough points to finish ahead of London Irish.

At least Gary Gold is a man of his word & is seeing out his contract (despite USA wanting him to start ASAP) unlike a certain other Director of Rugby we once had.

A massive blow for us & an undoubted coup for the USA national side where he will be heading.

Have to wonder how the players are going to react to this going forward? DoR leaving, the club up for sale, bottom of the league, falling attendances... the optimism that we came into the season with has well and truly been extinguished. For the rest of the season it's about scraping together enough points to finish ahead of London Irish.

At least Gary Gold is a man of his word & is seeing out his contract (despite USA wanting him to start ASAP) unlike a certain other Director of Rugby we once had.

You mention it will be a massive blow, but you also follow that up with the fact that the team is bottom of the log and has declining attendance. Has Gary Gold had a positive impact on the team and if so, how exactly?

Mike Ford's available, what with the collapse of Dallas, and being rejected for USA and Canada

If you had the check book i would suggest go after Robbie Deans how he is still only in Japan coaching club rugby i don't know, yes he had a mix bag with Aus but his record with the crusaders was 10/10.

But wuss don't have the check book currently i guess.

You mention it will be a massive blow, but you also follow that up with the fact that the team is bottom of the log and has declining attendance. Has Gary Gold had a positive impact on the team and if so, how exactly?

When GG joined us in the second half of last season we were in a relegation battle with Bristol & looking doomed to be frank. He completely revitalised the place, gave the whole club a lift & we ended up staying in the league comfortably, playing good rugby & managing wins against teams like Saracens and Bath.

We came into this season with a bit of a spring in our step & optimistic we could push on from the strong finish to last season, but our injury list has totally decimated us & we don't have enough quality deep in the squad to cope right now. Then we've had the off the field stuff with the owners looking to sell (or at least needing new investment) & it's created a pretty toxic cocktail. Only a few months ago I think we all thought we were going to be building something with GG for the seasons to come but obviously it hasn't worked out that way. :(

He had a good job offer and with the uncertainty around the place right now, I don't blame him for taking it.

If you had the check book i would suggest go after Robbie Deans how he is still only in Japan coaching club rugby i don't know, yes he had a mix bag with Aus but his record with the crusaders was 10/10.

But wuss don't have the check book currently i guess.

What we need is for the Edward Griffiths consortium to be successful with their takeover attempt as soon as possible & for that to mark the beginning of a fresh start at the club.

Then find a DoR who wants to be part of a long-term project & back him. We need stability now more than anything & a plan that looks further ahead than the next 4 or 5 matches.

Curious to see what kind of difference Jono Lance will make now they're bringing him in short term...

Latest posts