• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gatland for Lions coach? Oh god i hope not :(

<div class='quotemain'> Unfortunately the last Lions tour in 2005 was seen to be nothing but a money making venture.
It began with a £££££ spinner 'home' game against Argentina at Cardiff and continued as little more than promotion for the Adidas red shirt as the Lions got hammered in NZ.[/b]

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. The game against Argentina was justified as the players needed all the game time together they can get. You have to take into account that none of these players really work together day in day out in such a capacity and thus, you need to form bonds and playing relationships quickly.

As for the Lions getting hammered in NZ, thats the luck of the draw with the Lions. Check your history and you'll find glorious failures as well as stunning victories. The Lions will always be an uphill battle and it isn't fair to label it as a "money making venture."

I don't think anyone labelled it a "success." That just sounds like more cynical and negative comments to me...
[/b][/quote]

'More cynical and negative comments'? From who? Me?

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> Unfortunately the last Lions tour in 2005 was seen to be nothing but a money making venture.
It began with a £££££ spinner 'home' game against Argentina at Cardiff and continued as little more than promotion for the Adidas red shirt as the Lions got hammered in NZ.[/b]

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. The game against Argentina was justified as the players needed all the game time together they can get. You have to take into account that none of these players really work together day in day out in such a capacity and thus, you need to form bonds and playing relationships quickly.

As for the Lions getting hammered in NZ, thats the luck of the draw with the Lions. Check your history and you'll find glorious failures as well as stunning victories. The Lions will always be an uphill battle and it isn't fair to label it as a "money making venture."

I don't think anyone labelled it a "success." That just sounds like more cynical and negative comments to me...
[/b][/quote]

'More cynical and negative comments'? From who? Me?
[/b][/quote]

I don't think so, more likely Woodward and his cronies were the guilty party on that front.

Yeah, and I'm sure I heard someone try and spin the series as a success as well.
Woodward made it into a circus act rather than a traditional spectacle with a great history.

EDIT: I'd agree with McGeechan being at the head of this enterprise. He's fantastic because he's the bane of the Southern Hemisphere. [/b]

Bane of the Southern Hemisphere? Beating a South African team on the decline after getting tonked by one of the weakest All Black teams in history (Oh, and Hawkes Bay - LOLZA, Otago, Waikato and Auckland) 4 years earlier?

Gatland doing with Wales what Henry also did with Wales I think means that NZ has the best coaches, and Wales has the passion for rugby that a decent coach can use. Deans won't be able to do sh*t with the Ozzies

<div class='quotemain'>

EDIT: I'd agree with McGeechan being at the head of this enterprise. He's fantastic because he's the bane of the Southern Hemisphere. [/b]

Bane of the Southern Hemisphere? Beating a South African team... [/b][/quote]

Yes, that's right, Ripper.
He did exactly that.

Gatland doing with Wales what Henry also did with Wales I think means that NZ has the best coaches.[/b]

Don't remember Henry ever winning a Grand Slam with Wales, he did beat the Boks though.

If Henry and Hansen stop messing about with the team like the build up to RWC 2007, the All Blacks will be even better (mayb not in the next couple of years, they've lost half their players to European teams).

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>

Bane of the Southern Hemisphere? Beating a South African team... [/b][/quote]

Yes, that's right, Ripper.
He did exactly that.
[/b][/quote]

Who did McGeechan beat again? Also, didn't he do something with that team that a certain Kiwi failed to do?

Ian Mcgeechan and Shaun Edwards, with Dean Richards involved would be a strong coaching outfit.

In my opinion the lioms tour should never be scraped. It is a lot of fun and a a good advert for rugby union.
I think not getting Gatland to do the job is the right choice as he has only recently taken over as Wales boss and needs to keep him mind on that job.

i would like to see warren take on the lions hopefully he could take them for a couple of years, Lions should have a strong backlind and Gatland would expose that