• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

GATLAND Is the leading Contender for Lions Coach.

Would anyone be against a Club/region coach taking the tour? Perhaps Mallinder head coach, Townsend Backs coach, Baxter Forwards coach, cannot think of a defence coach off the top of my head.

Would anyone be against a Club/region coach taking the tour? Perhaps Mallinder head coach, Townsend Backs coach, Baxter Forwards coach, cannot think of a defence coach off the top of my head.

Nope. I think the key is having the right chemistry and styles

Would definitely interested in this kind of arrangement. Plenty of talent to choose from that's for sure.

Interesting to hear comments from Gats today (regarding speculation it's between him and Schmidt):

"He can have the job if he wants! Have you seen the schedule? You go to New Zealand and you play three Tests and five Super Rugby teams and the New Zealand Maoris and you try and win there with no preparation? He can have it."

He did admit that if he was offered it, he would find it hard to say no, but who wouldn't I guess? Either way it's gonna be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Nope. I think the key is having the right chemistry and styles

Are you saying they wouldnt?

- - - Updated - - -

Would definitely interested in this kind of arrangement. Plenty of talent to choose from that's for sure.

Interesting to hear comments from Gats today (regarding speculation it's between him and Schmidt):

"He can have the job if he wants! Have you seen the schedule? You go to New Zealand and you play three Tests and five Super Rugby teams and the New Zealand Maoris and you try and win there with no preparation? He can have it."

He did admit that if he was offered it, he would find it hard to say no, but who wouldn't I guess? Either way it's gonna be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Agree the schedule is stupid, god knows who agreed it.

Think he's saying we should consider all options as long as the coaches can all work together well.

Exactly this. They key is having a team of coaches that have same views on rugby. No point having a man in charge who sees it 1 way assisted by someone who sees it differently.

Exactly this. They key is having a team of coaches that have same views on rugby. No point having a man in charge who sees it 1 way assisted by someone who sees it differently.

The 3 names where just an example, the point is would anyone object if the coaching team was made up of Club/Region coaches as oppose to one of the 4 SH coaches we currently have running our national teams.

The 3 names where just an example, the point is would anyone object if the coaching team was made up of Club/Region coaches as oppose to one of the 4 SH coaches we currently have running our national teams.

I agree my point is in general be it club or national coaching

It has to be an International coach, sticking a club coach in would de-value the Lions. The Lions are something all players aspire towards and is for them an achievement over and above playing for their respective countries. Without a recognised International coach the Lions would be de-valued and would not be taken seriously by the opposition, we have the Barbarians for those lesser/exhibition style matches.
We should preserve the Lions and treasure each and every tour giving the occasion the respect it deserves.

It has to be an International coach, sticking a club coach in would de-value the Lions. The Lions are something all players aspire towards and is for them an achievement over and above playing for their respective countries. Without a recognised International coach the Lions would be de-valued and would not be taken seriously by the opposition, we have the Barbarians for those lesser/exhibition style matches.
We should preserve the Lions and treasure each and every tour giving the occasion the respect it deserves.

Get a grip man, Jesus

Geechs wasn't an international coach when he lead the Lions in 2009. Some players get Lions tour spots before caps. The fact is the Lions is about bringing the best 4 Nations have together and if a club coach is the best candidate then so be it.

Geechs wasn't an international coach when he lead the Lions in 2009. Some players get Lions tour spots before caps. The fact is the Lions is about bringing the best 4 Nations have together and if a club coach is the best candidate then so be it.

Or in 97, he was coaching Northampton and who coached the last lions test series victory in NZ?

Or in 97, he was coaching Northampton and who coached the last lions test series victory in NZ?

Carwyn, he was exceptional though, but the professional game is a lot different to the amatuer game and just as the step in class as a player from club to international is big, surely that step is as big for a coach, therefore I would not risk a coach not already coaching at International level.

Either it was professional or it wasn't.
And it was.

I think what Vally is getting at is he thinks Gatland is the best coach in the world and his genius resulted in the lions crushing Australia last time and to stand any chance in NZ we must employ his genius again.

I think what Vally is getting at is he thinks Gatland is the best coach in the world and his genius resulted in the lions crushing Australia last time and to stand any chance in NZ we must employ his genius again.

Gatland is a decent coach but regards last tour I've to be honest that was the most pathetic Aus team I seen for a big challenge like that. It was more their issues lost it than our efforts won it.

Gatland is a decent coach but regards last tour I've to be honest that was the most pathetic Aus team I seen for a big challenge like that. It was more their issues lost it than our efforts won it.

+1. They won the series by virtue of the Aussie missed kick. I struggle to follow the logic regarding Gatland - we are told he's one of the best coaches of all time and have been told in the past that many of the Welsh players are superior to their Six Nations counterparts. How can both be true? If both statements were, surely they would be a much more dominant force in the tournament and for that matter, the Lions would have won a lot more comfortably in Australia.

Latest posts