TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
Also known as "His contract is too water tight to sack him, so we'll move him away from the on field stuff and make up a new job for him"

Not sure he has the fitness to run the water, so what will he add?
yeah, this is pretty damning, these franchises aren't like european football clubs where there are huge youth academies and multiple adult teams to coordinate, where they try and have all team playing the same style so players can move between teams, seems like a huge dead weight role

yeah, this is pretty damning, these franchises aren't like european football clubs where there are huge youth academies and multiple adult teams to coordinate, where they try and have all team playing the same style so players can move between teams, seems like a huge dead weight role
To be fair the one team that has an approach more like that - the crusaders - is successful because of it. They don't have a director of rugby role though.

To be fair the one team that has an approach more like that - the crusaders - is successful because of it. They don't have a director of rugby role though.
I wasn't saying it's a bad thing…just that almost no super teams do it so the role seems redundant

He's finally been found out. Poor and limited coach but still better than some of the other dross we've had in the NH.

He's finally been found out. Poor and limited coach but still better than some of the other dross we've had in the NH.
Was his success with Wales luck or judgement? On the one hand you could give him credit for coming up with a game plan to get the most possible out of the limited resources available to him, on the other, you could say that he was lucky that the only way he knows how to coach suited Wales.

I suspect that his downfall with Chiefs and the Lions is a result of the fact that he's been stuck doing the same thing with Wales for so long that he's lost the ability to coach anything else effectively, but maybe this is given him too much credit.

Director of Rugby can be a very valuable position to be fair and can be legit and helpful. Obviously not in this case, he's clearly being shunted aside, but Cullen Lancaster (I know its head coach and senior coach, but similar concept) has been pretty good.

Director of Rugby can be a very valuable position to be fair and can be legit and helpful. Obviously not in this case, he's clearly being shunted aside, but Cullen Lancaster (I know its head coach and senior coach, but similar concept) has been pretty good.
agreed if we were talking about a big club....but the Nz franchises are generally pretty streamline, 90% about one team and then a development team and maybe a school team, im surprised he agreed to it, i would have insisted on another season to improve om my last