• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gavin Henson In Wales 2015 World Cup Squad ?

iINDOMINUSxx

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Edinburgh
Gavin Henson’s dream of playing for Wales at next year’s World Cup is still alive as he came off the bench to play a vital part in Bath reaching the final of the Amlin Challenge Cup.

Welsh rugby’s most recognised face was the subject of customary cat-calls and wolf-whistles from spectators when he appeared for the final nine minutes as they held on against Dai Young’s London Wasps in a nip-and-tuck semi-final at High Wycombe’s Adams Park.

But, as Bath coach and former rugby league star Mike Ford pointed out, Henson’s influence was crucial as they had to survive the final four minutes a man short after his centre partner Kyle Eastmond was yellow-carded.

Henson was hungry, organised, made tackles and chased every kick, even those that went out of play, to ensure Wasps couldn’t take any quick line-outs, to win plaudits from the 2005 Lions defence coach and former England backs guru.

thought it be a good idea to mention this what do you's think ?

I won't write the bloke off, but with the way our squad is, I can't see Gatland dropping Roberts for him. We don't play a style of rugby that would fit his skills well. Roberts will be our first choice inside centre, with Dixon and Allen next up.
We will probably have the same backline as the 2011 World Cup, save for Cuthbert in place of Williams. Good chance the pack will be close, changing Bennett for Owens/Hibbard, and possibly Charteris for Ball or Evans.

I dunno, he can't seem to nail down a starting spot for Bath, which is something that all the other Welsh centre's in contention should have come squad selection time. Yes he might be able to squeeze his way in by that time, but with the possibility of Sam Burgess playing centre on top of the existing ones does throw a few doubts on that...

And anyway, we actually look relatively strong at centre at the moment, especially with the emergence of Cory Allen and Owen Williams (Cardiff centre not Tigers no.10), and Scott Williams starting to hit top gear.

I'd love to see Big Gav on top form and back in the red. Whether he deserves it is a different matter. At the moment, Henson for Wales is pure fantasy, and one I'm willing to buy in to.

i think wales could use him at 10 but i dont see him replacing jamie roberts

Henson as an international 10? not sure on that, however if Preistland is wales 1st choice I don't think you need to be an international 1o to start for Wales.

well he had played 10 for london welsh and i think is more than capable off playing 10 for wales

Yes, put him at 10 ... let us keep Gareth Anscombe :)

Why have a washed out mercenary when you can have someone like Owen Williams (Tigers not blues)? On form there is really only one choice.

I'd actually pair Henson with Foxy. I heard it was Gatlands original plan to play Henson and Roberts combo? From what I'm told Gatland is still a huge fan of Henson, and why not?
Owen Williams will probably go with Wales, but Rhys Patchell is a country mile better than him in terms of playing ability. Probably the only 10 since the 70's and early 80's to be of that skill. If Wales want a Cruden type ten, they need only look at Jordan Williams! If he was a Kiwi he'd be at 10 surely?

I'd actually pair Henson with Foxy. I heard it was Gatlands original plan to play Henson and Roberts combo? From what I'm told Gatland is still a huge fan of Henson, and why not?
Owen Williams will probably go with Wales, but Rhys Patchell is a country mile better than him in terms of playing ability. Probably the only 10 since the 70's and early 80's to be of that skill. If Wales want a Cruden type ten, they need only look at Jordan Williams! If he was a Kiwi he'd be at 10 surely?

Disagree, Owen Williams is a more controlling player, better suited for international rugby on current levels.
Jordan was a standoff until Llanelli realised he didn't really cut it there (the mythical running standoff of the 70s doesn't work in the modern game). Williams is best off in the back three, he showed good skills on the counter in the JWC last year, and for the Scarlets this season.

Henson for me was always a brilliant 13 - i think he and Roberts could work well.

I also think he and Davies could be a good 12/13 combination as well.

He's still a quality player who's had a rough time, i'm a fan.

Why have a washed out mercenary when you can have someone like Owen Williams (Tigers not blues)? On form there is really only one choice.

I feel like we need a better way to differentiate between the two... Everytime I want to mention oen or the other I have to but brackets next to their name :p

I was at Adams park last Sunday, and did not hear any abuse directed at GH. I was sat near to the 22, and watched him do some kicking at half time, about 1m from the goal line kicking at the posts.......he was about 6-8m in from the touch line....He kicked the first one, and got a round of aplause. He didn't get the rest of them but was very close. The man can still kick!

When he came on he did well, he is looking very fit, and as an Englishman glad he is not in the Wales team/squad, I wish he was in the Wasps squad, because i think he would have had a better game than our two centres had!

Bath were the better team on the day, he contributed to the win, he just has to carry on working hard, I think him and Roberts together could be a real handfull. We have to take away his "media" profile and judge him on the pitch and his attitude to training, and his coaches. He is no doubt a great player for the likes of Ford and the other backs at Bath. I really like watching them, and feel next season they are going to score a shed load of points. He may switch to full back to replace abi£456whatever the spelling is when he goes to France, and be a great back up kicker for Ford, who is going to give Farrell a real run for his money, and I could see him being the number 10 for England in a year or 2, all with the help of a Welshman!!!!!!

Latest posts