• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

GB 2012 Olympic Football Team

G

gingergenius

OK. I've had it up to here with Scottish Nationalism. It is so petty that it is an insult to worthy independence struggles across the globe.

What ****** me off the most is the anti-olympic football team lobby. The Scots, plus the Welsh and micks into the bargain, feel that having a Great Britain football team at the 2012 olympics would put their future as independent teams into jeopardy. There is one glaring omission from the list of people in opposition to the team - England. Why are England not bothered about this? Because the English do not hold petty Celtic grudges. What's more, FIFA have actually written letters to the complaining FAs announcing that any Olympic team will have no repercussions on their future for the home nations. Yet still they oppose.

This week, the newest in a long line of prats employed by major football bodies, Michael Platini, continued his war on English football by backing the Scots. He's a classic example of a FIFA/ UEFA senior figure who says a lot about minor issues in football, but fails to act properly on the 2 biggest issues in the game - racism and overpaid players. Instead he'll criticise the Premiership for producing good teams and criticise England for not producing good teams.

Another unwanted voice has weighed in. Alex Salmond, leader of the Scottish Nationalist Party. Salmond's political style is to take an issue, and twist it to explain why Scotland would deal with it better on its own, and why the Union has cocked it up. Now Salmond has jumped on the Olympic team bandwagon. This is the sort of guy who looks at the huge successes of North European economies (such as Iceland and Ireland) and wants it for Scotland. The sort of guy who blames Gordon Brown for the global credit crunch (Brown = Unionist Scot = traitorous devil).

It's not that I am particularly bothered about whether the Scots get their independence or not. It's just the resons they want it for that **** me off. They have an economy propped up by English money; they base their entire nationalist rhetoric on Braveheart, Scottish tradition (kilts, pipes etc. all revived and exaggerated during the Romantic era), and a language that they themselves pushed into the extreme West of the country. It's pathetic. And surprise surprise the true Ghàidlig areas actually voted Labour and Lib Dem, avoiding the Scottish Nationalist Myth.

Can someone give them a kick up the arse so they can realise the ******** that seeps from their mouths?

Send the army! Burn their parliament and behead their king or queen or whatever has a crown on the head and is supposed to be the head of this nation.

England does deserve respect.

Its quite simple Britain competes at the Olympics as the union so there has to be a British football team. Scottish nationalism is a bit outdated as they are treated as equals, if not better than the English people. The best way to marginalise bigots is to highlight the fact that they havent got a cause and never stoop to their level.
Anyway which celtic players are likely to be in a GB side?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Dec 18 2008, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Its quite simple Britain competes at the Olympics as the union so there has to be a British football team. Scottish nationalism is a bit outdated as they are treated as equals, if not better than the English people. The best way to marginalise bigots is to highlight the fact that they havent got a cause and never stoop to their level.
Anyway which celtic players are likely to be in a GB side?[/b]

Selecting English players only for the GB team could be solution, couldn't it?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Dec 18 2008, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

I think Wales could have a few reps here, our U16, U19 and U21 are all strong and could easily provide players as for Scotland and Ireland im not sure!

GB must have a football side for this 2012 Olympics!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Dec 19 2008, 04:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
OK. I've had it up to here with Scottish Nationalism. It is so petty that it is an insult to worthy independence struggles across the globe.

What ****** me off the most is the anti-olympic football team lobby. The Scots, plus the Welsh and micks into the bargain, feel that having a Great Britain football team at the 2012 olympics would put their future as independent teams into jeopardy. There is one glaring omission from the list of people in opposition to the team - England. Why are England not bothered about this? Because the English do not hold petty Celtic grudges. What's more, FIFA have actually written letters to the complaining FAs announcing that any Olympic team will have no repercussions on their future for the home nations. Yet still they oppose.

This week, the newest in a long line of prats employed by major football bodies, Michael Platini, continued his war on English football by backing the Scots. He's a classic example of a FIFA/ UEFA senior figure who says a lot about minor issues in football, but fails to act properly on the 2 biggest issues in the game - racism and overpaid players. Instead he'll criticise the Premiership for producing good teams and criticise England for not producing good teams.

Another unwanted voice has weighed in. Alex Salmond, leader of the Scottish Nationalist Party. Salmond's political style is to take an issue, and twist it to explain why Scotland would deal with it better on its own, and why the Union has cocked it up. Now Salmond has jumped on the Olympic team bandwagon. This is the sort of guy who looks at the huge successes of North European economies (such as Iceland and Ireland) and wants it for Scotland. The sort of guy who blames Gordon Brown for the global credit crunch (Brown = Unionist Scot = traitorous devil).

It's not that I am particularly bothered about whether the Scots get their independence or not. It's just the resons they want it for that **** me off. They have an economy propped up by English money; they base their entire nationalist rhetoric on Braveheart, Scottish tradition (kilts, pipes etc. all revived and exaggerated during the Romantic era), and a language that they themselves pushed into the extreme West of the country. It's pathetic. And surprise surprise the true Ghàidlig areas actually voted Labour and Lib Dem, avoiding the Scottish Nationalist Myth.

Can someone give them a kick up the arse so they can realise the ******** that seeps from their mouths?[/b]

As a Scottish Unionist, I can agree with most of that (although some of it is a bit on the edge). Specifically in regards to Football, though, it's just nonsense - there's no way that a GB team would spill out of the Olympics, and hurt Scottish Football.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Dec 19 2008, 08:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Send the army! Burn their parliament and behead their king or queen or whatever has a crown on the head and is supposed to be the head of this nation.

England does deserve respect.[/b]

Yeah - that would be the French way of doing things...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Dec 19 2008, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Dec 18 2008, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Wales could have a few reps here, our U16, U19 and U21 are all strong and could easily provide players as for Scotland and Ireland im not sure!

GB must have a football side for this 2012 Olympics!
[/b][/quote]

Ireland aren't part of GB. There would be at least a few Scottish players, though. Scottish Football might not be in the same League as England's, but we have beaten both world cup finalists in the last couple of years.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Dec 18 2008, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

England does deserve respect.[/b]

This has got nothing to do with the issue at all. This is not about England being snubbed. Period.

If anything, the positions taken by the Scottish and Welsh FAs actually belittle their respective national causes by trivilialising the argument down into a matter of bickering over whether to commit players towards Team GB. By acting in this childish manner, they've effectively made the issue a laughing stock in amongst the Olympic establishment. For goodness sake even Serbia & Montenegro managed to put out an Olympic team before their nation split up.

Let us not forget that other sports don't seem to have this trouble. At all. On the contary, they have made great strides in advancing both the British sporting mission and their own national cause. Chris Hoy and cycling in both Britain as a whole and Scotland is a prime example. You've never seen Chris Hoy whinge or moan about being given the opportunity to compete with the best and trust me, both the more immature elements of Scottish Nationalism and British Unionism have tried, have tried so very hard to take anything that he has said since coming back from his triple Gold triumph at Beijing out of context.

I think it is time that we do regional sport in the UK a great favour and urge the FA's of the UK to grow up and take a leaf out of the book of practically every other damn sport out there that has some kind of representation in England, Scotland and Wales...

...then again, we could take a leaf out of DonBilly's book and do it the French way...

<div align='center'>
20060415.gif
</div>

<div align='left'>Anyone up for torching some cars, Clichy-sous-bois style, if the EFA, SFA and WFA don't play nice?
</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fred187 @ Dec 19 2008, 12:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ireland aren't part of GB[/b]

Thanks for that. Was wondering if anyone would realise this.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Dec 18 2008, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Send the army! Burn their parliament and behead their king or queen or whatever has a crown on the head and is supposed to be the head of this nation. England does deserve respect.[/b]

Made me laugh that. i have to say :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Dec 19 2008, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Also made me laugh. Good thread this.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Dec 19 2008, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fred187 @ Dec 19 2008, 12:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ireland aren't part of GB[/b]

Thanks for that. Was wondering if anyone would realise this.

Send the army! Burn their parliament and behead their king or queen or whatever has a crown on the head and is supposed to be the head of this nation. England does deserve respect.[/b]

Made me laugh that. i have to say :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Dec 19 2008, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Also made me laugh. Good thread this.
[/b][/quote]

northern ireland are part of the uk and their f.a. is being nearly as long as scotland.

It's incredible that we can have the Lions... which unites not only the 4 British nations but also Eire... and we know how much they love the British... what's more, we all get behind the Lions; I can anticipate there being no English players in the Lions team but I'll still be right behind them; and as soon as the tour's over we'll go back to hating each other again.

Football? Can't even manage to unite for a one-off. Can't manage to have fans sit with each other. Can't manage to punish people properly for racist chants. Can't manage to produce games where no one tries to con the referee into a decision. Can't realise that it is a beautiful game with a rotten core.

In rugby however there is no division between the republic and northern Ireland. Simply 4 provences. It's hardly as simple as that.

Anyway, it doesn't matter if there's a team GB in the olympic football. The fact is they'll still get creamed in the group stages or do well, get the usual meeja overhype then get bumped out of the quarters via penalties. As every home nations ponceball side has in every tournament in living memory.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Dec 19 2008, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
In rugby however there is no division between the republic and northern Ireland. Simply 4 provences. It's hardly as simple as that.

Anyway, it doesn't matter if there's a team GB in the olympic football. The fact is they'll still get creamed in the group stages or do well, get the usual meeja overhype then get bumped out of the quarters via penalties. As every home nations ponceball side has in every tournament in living memory.[/b]

sure nobody watches the football at the Olympics anyway so why the fuss over team GB and it's an under 23 team with 3 overage players and the big clubs will try and do whatever they can so the players aren't involved a la the Messi nonsense with Argentina this time round.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Dec 19 2008, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Dec 19 2008, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anyway, it doesn't matter if there's a team GB in the olympic football. The fact is they'll still get creamed in the group stages or do well, get the usual meeja overhype then get bumped out of the quarters via penalties. As every home nations ponceball side has in every tournament in living memory.[/b]

sure nobody watches the football at the Olympics anyway so why the fuss over team GB and it's an under 23 team with 3 overage players and the big clubs will try and do whatever they can so the players aren't involved a la the Messi nonsense with Argentina this time round.
[/b][/quote]

I don't even think football should be an olympic sport... but once you accept that it is, then it would be nice for there to be a British team at our own Olympics.

Latest posts