• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

General Questions - Sevens

Flomer

Academy Player
I posted this in the wrong section of the forum! Sorry. Is it possible to move it to "Universitas Rugbeia"?

Hi,

I'm about to play my first Rugby Tournament ever. I tried out for the school team and was accepted (probably because they needed more players, not because I was any good :p). I've never played rugby before and our first tournament is coming up and I'm starting to get a bit nervous. We are playing sevens rugby U19 and my position is probably going to be a forward, more specifically a prop. Since my knowledge is limited in the area, could someone explain briefly what a prop's objective is in Sevens? Is it a very difficult position? Also, will prop be a good position for me? (16 years old, 190 cm and 95 kg, not extremely fit but I'm not a couch potato either.) I know it is difficult to judge this by some stats, but generally speaking. Lastly, I've noticed my passing skills are a bit...emm awful. I understand that passing is an important part of Rugby, but as a prop will I do a lot of "difficult" passing e.g very long passes etc.?

Best Regards,

Last edited:
I posted this in the wrong section of the forum! Sorry. Is it possible to move it to "Universitas Rugbeia"?

Hi,

I'm about to play my first Rugby Tournament ever. I tried out for the school team and was accepted (probably because they needed more players, not because I was any good :p). I've never played rugby before and our first tournament is coming up and I'm starting to get a bit nervous. We are playing sevens rugby U19 and my position is probably going to be a forward, more specifically a prop. Since my knowledge is limited in the area, could someone explain briefly what a prop's objective is in Sevens? Is it a very difficult position? Also, will prop be a good position for me? (16 years old, 190 cm and 95 kg, not extremely fit but I'm not a couch potato either.) I know it is difficult to judge this by some stats, but generally speaking. Lastly, I've noticed my passing skills are a bit...emm awful. I understand that passing is an important part of Rugby, but as a prop will I do a lot of "difficult" passing e.g very long passes etc.?

Best Regards,

As a forward (prop) in 7's, your job is basically going to be trying to secure ball in the breakdowns. If you get the ball, don't worry about long passes, in fact I'd usually recommend holding it untill tackled, going to ground and placing the ball away from your body so it's easier for the faster guys to get to it. If you are any good a ball carrier try hit the contact hard.

As it's your first game I'm sure they won't be asking too much of you. Just try and do your best to get around the field and win ball for the quick experienced guys to do something with. You will also have to 'scrummage', however 7's scrummaging is very easy, just do your best to not go backwards as the halfback will chuck the ball directly back.

Thank you so much for information! Is this post a decent summary of what prop does? http://ur7s.com/news/1335/sevens_positions_how_to_play_prop_

How does it work with subs in sevens? Is like football where ones someone get substituted they're not allowed to enter the field again? Finally, does it matter where I score on the tryline, do I get more points if I score between the drop goal?

Thank you so much for information! Is this post a decent summary of what prop does?
http://ur7s.com/news/1335/sevens_positions_how_to_play_prop_

How does it work with subs in sevens? Is like football where ones someone get substituted they're not allowed to enter the field again?

LAW 3: NUMBER OF PLAYERS – THE TEAM
3.1 MAXIMUM NUMBER OF PLAYERS ON THE PLAYING AREA
Maximum: each team must have no more than seven players on the playing area.
3.4 PLAYERS NOMINATED AS SUBSTITUTES
A team may nominate no more than five replacements/substitutes.
A team can substitute or replace up to three players.
3.12 SUBSTITUTED PLAYERS REJOINING THE MATCH
If a player is substituted, that player must not return and play in that match even to replace
an injured player.
Exception: A substituted player may replace a player with a bleeding or open wound.

Finally, does it matter where I score on the tryline
No

9.A.1 POINTS VALUES
Try. When an attacking player is first to ground the
ball in the opponents' in-goal, a try is scored.

Penalty Try. If a player would probably have scored a try but for foul play by an opponent, a penalty try is awarded between the goal posts.

Conversion Goal. When a player scores a try it gives the player's team the right to attempt to score a goal by taking a kick at goal; this also applies to a penalty
try. This kick is a conversion kick: a conversion kick can be a place kick or a drop kick.

Penalty Goal. A player scores a penalty goal by kicking a goal from a penalty kick.

Dropped Goal. A player scores a dropped goal by kicking a goal from a drop kick in general play. The team awarded a free kick cannot score a dropped goal until the ball next becomes dead, or until an opponent has played or touched it, or has tackled the ball carrier. This restriction applies also to a scrum taken instead of a free kick

7 a side the following comes into play

LAW 9: METHOD OF SCORING
9.B CONVERSION KICK
9.B.1 TAKING A CONVERSION KICK
Amend
(c) The kick must be a drop kick.

(e) The kicker must take the kick within forty seconds of a try having been scored. The kick is disallowed if the kicker does not take the kick in the time allowed.

LAW 13: KICK-OFF AND RESTART KICKS
13.2 WHO TAKES THE KICK-OFF AND RESTART KICK
Amend
(c) After a score, the team that has scored kicks off with a drop kick which must be taken at or
behind the centre of the half way line.
Sanction: Free Kick at the centre of the half way line.
Amend

13.3 POSITION OF THE KICKER'S TEAM AT THE KICK OFF
All the kicker's team must be behind the ball when it is kicked. If they are not, a free kick is awarded to the non-offending team at the centre of the half way line.
Sanction: Free Kick at the centre of the half way line.

If you want the complete set of rules just google IRB Lawbook 2012 pdf

As a forward (prop) in 7's, your job is basically going to be trying to secure ball in the breakdowns. If you get the ball, don't worry about long passes, in fact I'd usually recommend holding it untill tackled, going to ground and placing the ball away from your body so it's easier for the faster guys to get to it. If you are any good a ball carrier try hit the contact hard.

As it's your first game I'm sure they won't be asking too much of you. Just try and do your best to get around the field and win ball for the quick experienced guys to do something with. You will also have to 'scrummage', however 7's scrummaging is very easy, just do your best to not go backwards as the halfback will chuck the ball directly back.
That is a bad idea. Doing that you are bunching players up and have a 50/50 chance of losing possession and be beaten on the flanks. Firstly you need linear support from directly behind the ball carrier. Do not support accros the field. The idea is to bunch the defenders up and to create space to pass the ball in. Retaining possesion whatever. Even if you have to lose ground thats ok but do not lose possesion or give it away nor kick it. Commit only 1 or 2 players to a ruck no more. It is hard for the defense to smother tackle a player as it will need more than one defender to do it. So the arms will be free and one will be able to make a pass. Your playmaker will normally be in the middle. Creating space can be lateral across the field or linear down the field. It all depends how you are lining your attack up. Lateral across the field the space will be that space between each defender. Aim for that which will cause the defence to bunch up where a pass into the space where the defender who made the tackle was will open the opportunity for the linebreak. Do not isolate yourself.

A player moving into this space has considerable room and may be fast enough to sprint for the line but if your not the quickest on the pitch do not try and dart for the line rather create a delay till the support is with you. So its basically simple for starters. Do not bunch up. Space is between the defenders. Support lateral behind the player and not spread wide across the field. Commit 1 or 2 to the break down. Always pass into space and avoid running across the field. Always position yourself before taking a tackle so that you can pass the ball. You can turn your back or twist. Most important rule is DO NOT CONCEDE POSSESION!! Rather lose ground before giving the ball away.

The concept is the ball carrier attracts the defence creating congestion. This creates space elsewhere across the field that can then be used to attack. If the attacking players group around the tackle as the defenders may do to prevent a score the opportunity to use space is lost. Use depth to attack from that will keep the defenders spread.

That is a bad idea. Doing that you are bunching players up and have a 50/50 chance of losing possession and be beaten on the flanks. Firstly you need linear support from directly behind the ball carrier. Do not support accros the field. The idea is to bunch the defenders up and to create space to pass the ball in. Retaining possesion whatever. Even if you have to lose ground thats ok but do not lose possesion or give it away nor kick it. Commit only 1 or 2 players to a ruck no more. It is hard for the defense to smother tackle a player as it will need more than one defender to do it. So the arms will be free and one will be able to make a pass. Your playmaker will normally be in the middle. Creating space can be lateral across the field or linear down the field. It all depends how you are lining your attack up. Lateral across the field the space will be that space between each defender. Aim for that which will cause the defence to bunch up where a pass into the space where the defender who made the tackle was will open the opportunity for the linebreak. Do not isolate yourself.

A player moving into this space has considerable room and may be fast enough to sprint for the line but if your not the quickest on the pitch do not try and dart for the line rather create a delay till the support is with you. So its basically simple for starters. Do not bunch up. Space is between the defenders. Support lateral behind the player and not spread wide across the field. Commit 1 or 2 to the break down. Always pass into space and avoid running across the field. Always position yourself before taking a tackle so that you can pass the ball. You can turn your back or twist. Most important rule is DO NOT CONCEDE POSSESION!! Rather lose ground before giving the ball away.

The concept is the ball carrier attracts the defence creating congestion. This creates space elsewhere across the field that can then be used to attack. If the attacking players group around the tackle as the defenders may do to prevent a score the opportunity to use space is lost. Use depth to attack from that will keep the defenders spread.

It's not a bad idea. If it's your first game and you don't have passing skills, your more likely to be able to retain pocession by going to ground with support, than to try a pass. I've played 7's for years, and you always see the forwards who in their first tornement try a pass and it comes off poorly conceding posession. It's far better making sure your team is in support and running with it into contact and getting your team on the front foot with support, than to try to get a pass off that you aren't capable of. I'm not talking about once he becomes established, I'm talking about the reality of him playing rugby for the first time.

Last edited:

Latest posts