• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

George Smith named Australian Super 14 Player of The Year

F

Fushitsusha

Alright!

Thoroughly deserved... excelled all year in a dissapointing team...

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,2...2-23217,00.html

Smith the best third year running

May 22, 2008
CHAMPION flanker George Smith has been crowned Australia's Super 14 player of the year for the third successive season.

And in a memorable double for the Smith family, George's younger brother, Brumbies teammate Tyrone, was named rookie of the year at the annual awards presentation in Sydney.

George clinched his record-equalling hat-trick with a two-vote winning margin over New South Wales Waratahs captain and long-time Wallabies rival and teammate Phil Waugh.

Smith's recognition was a personal consolation for the Brumbies missing the Super semi-finals for the fourth season in a row.

His durability and ultra-consistency proved decisive in Smith claiming the night's top individual honour and, in the process, matching Queensland Reds and Wallabies fullback Chris Latham's three consecutive player of the year awards.

Smith played all 13 matches for the Canberra-based province in 2008, captaining the Brumbies for the first half of the season in the absence of regular skipper Stirling Mortlock.

He also reached a personal milestone during the season, making his 100th Super rugby appearance against the Cheetahs in round six.

Tyrone, 25, also played in all 13 matches in his debut season, scoring three tries before winning selection in the Barbarians squad to play matches against the touring Ireland and England sides later this month.

Returning to rugby after a three-year stint in rugby league with Harlequins in the European Super League - where he scored 22 tries in 62 matches for the London-based club - Smith proved resilient and reliable in a Brumbies team ravaged by injuries.
The classy inside centre also offered a cutting edge to the Brumbies backline on his return to the 15-man game after a five-year absence.

Ewen McKenzie collected his third coach of the year award after guiding the Waratahs to second place in the minor premiership and to within two wins of a maiden Super championship.

In his last season in charge of the Waratahs, McKenzie has now picked up three coaching gongs in five years and he will be hoping to steer the side to this year's final with victory over the Sharks at the Sydney Football Stadium on Saturday night.

Australia's most experienced match official, Stuart Dickinson, was named Super 14 referee of the year for the second consecutive season.

Dickinson, who controlled seven Super 14 games during the preliminary stages of the tournament, has been appointed to referee the Crusaders v Hurricanes semi-final in Christchurch on Saturday.

The Australian Super 14 try of the season went to Queensland winger Peter Hynes for his effort against the Crusaders in Brisbane two weeks ago.

Receiving the ball after an expansive Reds backline move, Hynes produced a brilliant step off his left foot to beat three cover defenders and score under the posts.

Congrats to him, but imho, i would have chosen Phil Waugh. The ******* might be hated by nearly all South Africans, but eat my rotten poo on a shovel he is one hell of a player. Best ball stealer in the game, and outstanding at every aspect o his game.

Congrats to him, but imho, i would have chosen Phil Waugh. The ******* might be hated by nearly all South Africans, but eat my rotten poo on a shovel he is one hell of a player. Best ball stealer in the game, and outstanding at every aspect o his game.
[/b]

Nah, Waugh's had a good year, but...

Smith >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Waugh

Smith is much better than Waugh year after year he turns his top class performances. He makes it incredibly difficult for teams to put any phases together, Waugh has played well this season. Palu has been on fire recently but was quite quiet at the start of the season.

Apparently the vote was very close in the end, with Smith only being ahead of Waugh by 1 point. They are closer now than they've probably ever been, and there is some suggestion that Deans prefers Waugh. So should be interesting come selection time.

Apparently the vote was very close in the end, with Smith only being ahead of Waugh by 1 point. They are closer now than they've probably ever been, and there is some suggestion that Deans prefers Waugh. So should be interesting come selection time.
[/b]
Who do you reckon is gonna fill the other flanker jersey?

Smith owns waugh. Those couple tries he help set up last week were beauties. No way does waugh have the vision or skills to pull off passes like that. As far as work at the breakdown Smith is still better then waugh and about even in defense and tackling.
Waugh still had a cracker of a season tho!!

They are closer now than they've probably ever been, and there is some suggestion that Deans prefers Waugh. So should be interesting come selection time.
[/b]

I don't know if there's any truth to that.

It was just speculated in the Sydney media in another beat up article in a push to get Waugh installed as Wallabies captain. He should neither be captain or in the starting XV.

I think Waugh is a great player, but Smith is on a whole other level.

Personally, I would be surprised if Deans favoured Waugh, and the Wallabies can't go facing with a complete Waratahs backrow. Yes, their forwards have played well all year but we won't be able to compete with the All Blacks and Boks without Smith starting the game.

i think Smith did an amazing job this year.
i also really admire FRancois steyn from the Sharks, amazing player

I reckon that Smith has it all over Waugh. I reckon that hes even better than McCaw most of the time.

Latest posts